White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

I never got the "risk" of bringing up a player quickly. A player is either going to be ready or not. There is no set amount of time that a player should spend in the minors just for the sake of development. And if the guy isnt mentally tough enough to endure failure at any level then he probably isnt destined for success anyway. If Sale shows the ability to dominate all levels of the minors this year then there really isnt any reason to think he cant contribute to the pen in Sept. Look at Mike Leake this year, he seems to be doing pretty well so far.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Dusty Harvard and Randall Thorpe have signed.

Thorpe is somewhat interesting. Read about him here:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/futu...ll-thorpe.html
Old 06-20-2010, 09:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sale probably saw Randy Williams pitch and said, "Really? I can do that."

It's really shocking and disconcerting if true. I know Mike Leake did it without going through the minors but he is the exception rather than the rule.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 PM
WSI High Priest

jimcallisBA
Chisox did same thing w/Beckham. More teams shouldn't be afraid to test resolve of college jrs @jazayerli: So much for Sale being tough sign about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter
Old 06-20-2010, 11:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Seems prep catcher Sean O'Connell has signed and is in Bristol.

Can read a bit about him here:

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2010/0...ame/#more-7809
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Woah.

Supposedly a reason the terms were so agreeable was that the Sox agreed to give a chance for Sale to join the bullpen this year. Chris will report to W-S with hopes of being promoted to Charlotte by July and to Chicago in August. He will than return to starting in the AFL with a chance to break camp with the Sox next year as a SP.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2550
The Hell with August. Bring him up!!!!!!

Seriously, the quicker the better. Since there appears to be some concern about his motion, just let him be the LOOGY for the rest of this year.
That wouldn't give him enough innings to damage his arm, no matter how bad his mechanics might be.
The funky motion might make him really hard to hit, if he isn't over exposed.
He's supposed to have really good control, and two plus Big League pitches. That just might work as a LOOGY.

He wanted a chance to get to the Majors this year, so I say give it to him. Apparently, he has plenty of self confidence.
If he flops, then there is always "plan B". Let him go down to the Minors and prepare to be a starter next year.
The Sox will have fulfilled their obligation to give him a shot at the Majors this year.

It looks like a win - win situation to me.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Sale probably saw Randy Williams pitch and said, "Really? I can do that."

It's really shocking and disconcerting if true. I know Mike Leake did it without going through the minors but he is the exception rather than the rule.
Perhaps, in exchange for signing for less than expected, he wants to start his arbitration clock as soon as possible.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
The Hell with August. Bring him up!!!!!!

Seriously, the quicker the better. Since there appears to be some concern about his motion, just let him be the LOOGY for the rest of this year.
That wouldn't give him enough innings to damage his arm, no matter how bad his mechanics might be.
The funky motion might make him really hard to hit, if he isn't over exposed.
He's supposed to have really good control, and two plus Big League pitches. That just might work as a LOOGY.

He wanted a chance to get to the Majors this year, so I say give it to him. Apparently, he has plenty of self confidence.
If he flops, then there is always "plan B". Let him go down to the Minors and prepare to be a starter next year.
The Sox will have fulfilled their obligation to give him a shot at the Majors this year.

It looks like a win - win situation to me.
This x 100000

I would guess he would do much better than Williams as a LOOGY and maybe he could also eat some innings if a starter has a rough outing. We don't have a real long man.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

I wonder how Dan Hudson and Carlos Torres would feel about Sale leap frogging them to the majors? I know the popular opinion is " who cares what they think", but these guys are human and probably be pretty disappointed getting snubbed for a guy that just got drafted a few weeks ago.

If Sale is as good as advertised though the future rotation looks fairly good with Sale, Hudson added to it.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I wonder how Dan Hudson and Carlos Torres would feel about Sale leap frogging them to the majors? I know the popular opinion is " who cares what they think", but these guys are human and probably be pretty disappointed getting snubbed for a guy that just got drafted a few weeks ago.

If Sale is as good as advertised though the future rotation looks fairly good with Sale, Hudson added to it.
The big difference between Sale and those two guys is the arm they throw with.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Thoughts on the Sale Signing
Old 06-21-2010, 02:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You still have to perform and in my opinion, that is always tough for a kid from college straight to the pros. Huge difference in learning to pitch at this level, even if it is just spot duty in September. If the Sox manage to really get into the race here over the next 2 months, I don't see how they can afford to do this unless he is mowing them down in AAA by that point.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Excellent read -- it appears that both the Sox and Sale took a smart and nuanced approach to negotiations. Kudos to both sides and here's hoping that Sale excels as the Sox 2nd lefty reliever this August and as a future starter.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Man, if Sales is going to be competing for a starting job next year, that begs the question of what the hell are we going to do with Torres and Hudson. Hudson deserves the first jab at a starting job in my mind.

Now that I think about it, Garcia might not be back next year. Buehrle, too. Danks might decide not to sign. So now that I think about it, this makes sense. Now, don't get me wrong, I hope that the above doesn't happen (minus Garcia, since I think that Hudson needs to get his shot in the bigs), but it's certainly a possibility. White Sox upper management must be thinking the same thing, otherwise why would they be doing this?

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Man, if Sales is going to be competing for a starting job next year, that begs the question of what the hell are we going to do with Torres and Hudson. Hudson deserves the first jab at a starting job in my mind.

Now that I think about it, Garcia might not be back next year. Buehrle, too. Danks might decide not to sign. So now that I think about it, this makes sense. Now, don't get me wrong, I hope that the above doesn't happen (minus Garcia, since I think that Hudson needs to get his shot in the bigs), but it's certainly a possibility. White Sox upper management must be thinking the same thing, otherwise why would they be doing this?
Too much pitching is a good problem to have