White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 PM
WSI Personality

Default De Aza

Have you guys noticed De Aza coming on at Charlotte?

He has a lot of tools, and could ultimately replace Pierre in LF and leadoff.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:13 PM
MMXXIII

The Marlins are notorious for being excellent in scouting and player development. If a guy can't stick with them while cheap, it's probably because he sucks.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Marlins are notorious for being excellent in scouting and player development. If a guy can't stick with them while cheap, it's probably because he sucks.
Perhaps you're right about the Marlins, although "notorious" is the wrong word. "Famous" would be more appropriate.
Nevertheless, I don't believe that anything De Aza has done in his career suggests that "he sucks".
Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

Ehh hes nothing more than a career UTL player. Think Willie Harris without the ability to play the infield. Could be a useful bench player though.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He won the starting CF job with the Marlins out of spring training in both 2007 and 2008 but lost out on injuries and missed the bulk of those seasons. If the Marlins are excellent in scouting how did he win the job twice at the age of 22 and 23 if he sucks? They couldn't send him to the minors as he had already been outrighted. They either had to DFA him or he would have become a free agent, so they actually did the only thing they could have done to keep him other than keep him on the ML roster. Just because he still needed to be in the minors at 24 after basically missing two full season doesn't mean he sucks.

Supposedly, his defense and baserunning are outstanding. I don't know if he's good enough to be considered for the ML team at any point, but I don't think it's right to dismiss him just because the Marlins DFA'd him.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
Ehh hes nothing more than a career UTL player. Think Willie Harris without the ability to play the infield. Could be a useful bench player though.
I wouldn't be quite so hasty as to label a 26 year old, who missed all of 2008 because of injuries, "nothing more than a "utility player".
The comparison to Willie Harris is very debatable. De Aza has better defensive skills, and some pop, in addition to being a pretty good offensive player.
Have you actually looked at his Minor League stats?
I thought that he looked very impressive, when I saw him in Spring Training this year.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
He won the starting CF job with the Marlins out of spring training in both 2007 and 2008 but lost out on injuries and missed the bulk of those seasons. If the Marlins are excellent in scouting how did he win the job twice at the age of 22 and 23 if he sucks? They couldn't send him to the minors as he had already been outrighted. They either had to DFA him or he would have become a free agent, so they actually did the only thing they could have done to keep him other than keep him on the ML roster. Just because he still needed to be in the minors at 24 after basically missing two full season doesn't mean he sucks.

Supposedly, his defense and baserunning are outstanding. I don't know if he's good enough to be considered for the ML team at any point, but I don't think it's right to dismiss him just because the Marlins DFA'd him.
Meh, I will defer to the Marlins scouting department, who are excellent in this matter. If De Aza was worth keeping around, they would have found a way. The last time people got all excited about a "toolsy" Marlins castoff was Julio Ramirez, and I think we remember how that disaster turned out.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Meh, I will defer to the Marlins scouting department, who are excellent in this matter. If De Aza was worth keeping around, they would have found a way. The last time people got all excited about a "toolsy" Marlins castoff was Julio Ramirez, and I think we remember how that disaster turned out.
Indeed. De Aza isn't anything spectacular. He isn't supplanting anyone at this point. I would agree that 4th outfielder is his ceiling.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:27 AM
WSI Personality

For all the naysayers in this thread: Please check out De Aza's stats at Charlotte.

Last night he went 5 for 6 with a couple of doubles.
He's hitting .476 with a .532 OBP, over his last 10 games.
On the season he's now hitting .320 with a .403 OBP.
He's 9 for 9 in stolen bases, and already has 3 more extra base hits than Pierre, in just 122 at bats, which is less than half as many at bats as our pathetic current lead off hitter.
De Aza has also driven in 3 more runs than Pierre, and has his slugging % up to .431.

I don't think that his recent play is a total fluke. Just look at his stats from last year at AAA. I say he can't be worse than Pierre.
Bring him up, and make Pierre a pinch runner.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
For all the naysayers in this thread: Please check out De Aza's stats at Charlotte.

Last night he went 5 for 6 with a couple of doubles.
He's hitting .476 with a .532 OBP, over his last 10 games.
On the season he's now hitting .320 with a .403 OBP.
He's 9 for 9 in stolen bases, and already has 3 more extra base hits than Pierre, in just 122 at bats, which is less than half as many at bats as our pathetic current lead off hitter.
De Aza has also driven in 3 more runs than Pierre, and has his slugging % up to .431.

I don't think that his recent play is a total fluke. Just look at his stats from last year at AAA. I say he can't be worse than Pierre.
Bring him up, and make Pierre a pinch runner.
You put far too much weight in stats from the International League.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:59 AM
WSI Personality

I think De Aza should be the leading candidate to replace Jones as the 4th OF next year, but I wouldn't bring him up in July to start in LF and bat leadoff.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
You put far too much weight in stats from the International League.
Ozzie loves De Aza's play, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a call up soon. I didn't mention that he's been even better vs. rhp.
That would help fill the void of left handed hitting on this squad.

You would do well to take a second look at this guy. He's more highly regarded than you may think. He has never really had a chance to prove himself at the Big League level.
He's still very young, and he did miss all of 2008.
I can't believe that he could be much worse than Pierre, with more upside.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
That would help fill the void of left handed hitting on this squad.
No it wouldn't, it would just be one more below-average bat in the lineup.

De Aza is apparently Spanish for Dewayne Wise.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:52 AM
WSI High Priest

I would take him over Mark Kotsay
Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

I too would take De Aza over Mark Kotsay, assuming that Mark Kotsay is the 4th OF. Unfortunately, he's more than that on this ballclub.