White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Oakland maybe, but their GM has a philsophy of always playing for the next few years down the road, so unless the best 3 pitchers in the league simultaneously fall in his lap again, I'm not holding my breath.

The Royals and Pirates, for as "great" as their farm system is, only develop a handful of good MLB players. Between the two, over the last few years, we have Zack Greinke (looking like, perhaps, a flash in the pan) and Andrew McCutchen. Wowzers.
To use an old analogy. It appears the Sox are fairly bad at getting players from point A to point B but you give them a high grade point B talent and they can get them to point C fairly quickly.

And I again want to add that I have been more and more impressed with the people being called up from AAA to fill a roster spot temporarily. This goes back to last season for me, but this year alone, Threets, Lillibridge, Lucy and even Viciedo have come up and contributed in a need situation. Even Hudson now appears to be giving solid innings to his new major league club. Given that as recently as 2008 a call to the minors due to injury or other need made me want to hang my head, cross my fingers, toes and eyes hoping the kid wouldn't completely crap the bed the last two years have been a breath of fresh air. I don't know what they are doing differently, but man it's working or at least paying dividends in terms of bench players who can fill a need in an emergency. So, IMO something has changed for the better.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Oakland maybe, but their GM has a philsophy of always playing for the next few years down the road, so unless the best 3 pitchers in the league simultaneously fall in his lap again, I'm not holding my breath.

The Royals and Pirates, for as "great" as their farm system is, only develop a handful of good MLB players. Between the two, over the last few years, we have Zack Greinke (looking like, perhaps, a flash in the pan) and Andrew McCutchen. Wowzers.
I am not too sure about KC, but for years Pittsburgh's farm system was always considered to be a joke with the prime example being taken a guy who was considered to be a great hitter (I think it was John Van Benschoten) and turning him into a pitcher. Their new GM (who took over in 2007 or 2008) is supposedly putting more emphasis on their farm system and has taken guys like Pedro Alvarez, so for as down as they have been they are just starting to put an emphasis on their farm system.

As for the Royals right now they are supposed to have the best farm system in all of baseball and going for "Project 2012" where they have a bunch of good young homegrown guys but before even with the likes of Greinke (who I would hardly call a flash in the pan, I think he's a very good pitcher pitching for a very bad team) their farm system was never considered too great. They would have the occasional guy like Johnny Damon and Carlos Beltran (even Angel Berrora was at one point considered a great prospect) but I don't THINK people were ever drooling over their farm system and suggesting that they had the model one.

Just from what I've read of farm systems (and it is admittedly not much, there are people here who know a lot more about it than me) the farm systems that seem to get the most praises are ones like Minnesota, obviously, and then Boston.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 PM
WSI Regular

There philosophy on spending on the draft and international signings have changed the last 2 years. Their positive results will be showing in the next 2/3 years.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPrince34 View Post
There philosophy on spending on the draft and international signings have changed the last 2 years. Their positive results will be showing in the next 2/3 years.
Pardon me for not holding my breath.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:

Billy Butler, Pedro Alvarez, Aviles, Alex Gordon, Neil Walker and a few big names still left in the minors for each team.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
Billy Butler, Pedro Alvarez, Aviles, Alex Gordon, Neil Walker and a few big names still left in the minors for each team.
Billy Butler is the only guy who is a good major league player. Alvarez may get there, but he's not there yet.

Walker...meh. Aviles sucks. I think Gordon's got a good shot to be an above average outfielder, but who knows with him.

There's a lot in the minors, though.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
The Sox not paying over slot is not the reason the minor league system is in the state it is in, there are plenty of teams that either don't draft guys that are demanding huge money, or draft talent that is easier to sign, yet still have a good minor league system.
Those teams are built on early first round picks though. Perennially decent teams with good farms systems all pay over slot. I can't think of any exceptions to this.

I though drafting Sale was out of character for this club. Maybe it's a first move in the right direction.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
Those teams are built on early first round picks though. Perennially decent teams with good farms systems all pay over slot. I can't think of any exceptions to this.

I though drafting Sale was out of character for this club. Maybe it's a first move in the right direction.
It would be a move in the right direction if they sign Grimes and Terry. Looking like Grimes is unlikely though. I loved wasted 5th round picks.