White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Would anyone actually give a **** if the Cougars were a Sox farm team? I guess it would help Kane County, as more fans would probably truck out there to see some low-A ball Sox players but does anyone actually think it would have any real effect on the Sox? Unless of course whatever town they actually play in is some sort of Midwest hotstpot of Oakland A's fans.
it would help the cougars more, but yes, people would care.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewokpelts View Post
I don't think the Cougars need much help, though. They pack the house once school gets out. As I mentioned in my previous post, they've done a great job of marketing the family atmosphere there. They've done well and will continue to do well regardless of MLB affiliations.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-22-2010, 04:03 PM
WSI High Priest

So we can catch some BA starts?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Would anyone actually give a **** if the Cougars were a Sox farm team? I guess it would help Kane County, as more fans would probably truck out there to see some low-A ball Sox players but does anyone actually think it would have any real effect on the Sox? Unless of course whatever town they actually play in is some sort of Midwest hotstpot of Oakland A's fans.
Well I would say "give a ****" is a strong term. It would just be nice to follow a Sox farm team rather than someone else's. You can take more of an interest in the players, IMO.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM
WSI Regular

When I was in Kane County we really did not want to be an affiliate of the White Sox or the Cubs... the feeling was we might alienate half of our fan base... even if it was just Class A ball.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump34 View Post
When I was in Kane County we really did not want to be an affiliate of the White Sox or the Cubs... the feeling was we might alienate half of our fan base... even if it was just Class A ball.
Yeah, I understand this position too.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Good point. Unless it is the AAA or AA team, I don't know how much interest would be generated by an affiliation with the Sox since at the A and Rookie level you're watching guys who have a low chance of making it to the Show.

Also, having a minor league teams far from Chicago helps expand the Sox fanbase geographically.

All hail The Rick
Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Interesting news. I like going to Cougars games. It's an opportunity to take a break from the stress of watching your Major League team. You can actually enjoy the game.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I don't think the Cougars need much help, though. They pack the house once school gets out. As I mentioned in my previous post, they've done a great job of marketing the family atmosphere there. They've done well and will continue to do well regardless of MLB affiliations.
I haven't been to a game since 1997, but I never got the impression the Cougars were struggling. In fact, I always got the impression they were by far the most successful A team in the country.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
My wife is from Rockford and was a season ticket holder of their Midwest team in the early 90s. There are two things that stood out during this time. One, she got to see the likes of Mike Sweeney and Johnny Damon play. And two, when the team became a Cubs affliate, she lost interest.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Read my post and the ones above mine. It would hurt them more than help, and the Cougers don't really need help.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:54 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
That's a really good point I never thought of. I guess it'd be nice if the Sox would affiliate with another Midwest League team, like back in the late 90s when their A-ball team was the Burlington Bees, so you could see them occasionally, but I can definitely see why Kane County wouldn't want to partner with either the Cubs or Sox.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Would anyone actually give a **** if the Cougars were a Sox farm team?
I'll give it a definite maybe. When Springfield lost its team - the Cardinals affiliate - in '94, Waterloo moved in to replace it. You'd think the people there would have been glad to have baseball back, but the new team was the Padres affiliate, and people complained. Team fled for Lansing two years later and became the Lugnuts.

Then again, it's Springfield.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
Read my post and the ones above mine. It would hurt them more than help, and the Cougers don't really need help.
well, the peoria chiefs are the cubs a ball affiliate, and teh cougars market to the cubs fans heaviliy when those teams face off. in fact, the cougars played at WRIGLEY FIELD against the chiefs.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
well, the peoria chiefs are the cubs a ball affiliate, and teh cougars market to the cubs fans heaviliy when those teams face off. in fact, the cougars played at WRIGLEY FIELD against the chiefs.
Right, but they only play them, what 10 times per year in Kane County? I'm sure if the Sox had an affiliate in the Midwest League, they'd be advertising that heavily to Sox fans, too.

Dude, it's A-ball. And low A-ball. Most of the guys in that league are a year or so out of high school. Have you ever watched an A-ball game? TERRIBLE.