White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
WSI Regular

The Sox also did have a A team in Burlington Iowa is the 90s, IIRC.

I've heard that the KC Cougars do not want a Chicago affiliation, as they don't want to alienate part of their potential attendees. I know if the Cougars were a Cub affiliate, I wouldn't want to support them. Personally, I'd love the Cougars to be a Sox affiliate, but I understand why KC doesn't want the Sox.

If the Sox can save money by having most of their affiliates in the same region, I don't have a problem with that. The way Kenny runs the minor leagues, we see very few of those players in Sox uniforms anyway.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
The White Sox have long preferred to keep their upper level affiliates in the same geographic area to cut travel costs for scouts and roaming instructors.

I do understand this, but I would think that the opportunity cost of recruiting more fans would far exceed this. Especially in a battleground state/area like Indy. They dont have a team, and people dont really know who to root for. After going to college @ Purdue I can tell you that the Indy metro area is a hodgepodge of Reds/Cubs/Cards/Sox. Prob in that order.

With minor league costs much suppressed in comparison to MLB, this would be a great way to get kids involved. Especially if we could tie in the team name, IE. Indy White Sox, or Indy Pale Hose.

At a minimum try to get into the midwest league. South Bend/Fort Wayne would be nice as well.