White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,379
Default Ozzie On Cover Of S.I.

On sale tomorrow...naturally they put him on when he leaves the Sox.

Remember this was the same magazine that decided a cover shot of Brady / Manning was more important than the Sox winning their first title in 88 years.

And before anyone claims conspiracy, S.I. ALWAYS had the series winner on the cover the following week, yet this time they didn't.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM
jdm2662 jdm2662 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 7,933
Default

Um, who still reads SI? I got a subscription in the mid-90s because a I was a junkie in my teen years. I dropped it because I didn't like it. My brother me a subscription after the Sox won the series. This was just for the gifts. It was even worse, and I barely read the magazines.
__________________
4-time WSI NFL Pick 'em vs Spread Champion
2009 2010 2011 2013
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
Um, who still reads SI? I got a subscription in the mid-90s because a I was a junkie in my teen years. I dropped it because I didn't like it. My brother me a subscription after the Sox won the series. This was just for the gifts. It was even worse, and I barely read the magazines.
I like Grant Wahl's soccer coverage and Zach Lowe has a great NBA blog, but I only read the website, not the print edition.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM
hi im skot hi im skot is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lincoln Square
Posts: 9,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
On sale tomorrow...naturally they put him on when he leaves the Sox.
Ozzie was essentially the face of the organization during his tenure, and saw plenty of media coverage (sometimes of the unwanted, unflattering type). Who cares if he gets his first SI cover with the Marlins?

Quote:
Remember this was the same magazine that decided a cover shot of Brady / Manning was more important than the Sox winning their first title in 88 years.
This has nothing to do with the fact that Ozzie is on the cover now.

Quote:
And before anyone claims conspiracy, S.I. ALWAYS had the series winner on the cover the following week, yet this time they didn't.
The Sox didn't even have to win the series to end up on the cover:



This cover came out in the middle of the World Series. But, you know, if it makes you feel better to complain about a non-issue, go for it.

Of course, there was this, too:

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 PM
PatK PatK is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago/Highland, IN
Posts: 2,057
Default

Good thing I only read it when it's available in waiting rooms, or I might have gotten upset.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,613
Default

People around here seem to enjoy S.I. about as much as MJ does. I don't entirely get the hate it absorbs here. I must be missing something.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:32 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,244
Blog Entries: 5
Default

I'm not going to get mad until Ozzie gets a guest spot on the Amos 'n' Andy show on NBC Radio this summer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi im skot View Post
Ozzie was essentially the face of the organization during his tenure, and saw plenty of media coverage (sometimes of the unwanted, unflattering type). Who cares if he gets his first SI cover with the Marlins?



This has nothing to do with the fact that Ozzie is on the cover now.



The Sox didn't even have to win the series to end up on the cover:



This cover came out in the middle of the World Series. But, you know, if it makes you feel better to complain about a non-issue, go for it.

Of course, there was this, too:

I am not 100% positive but I think the issue with Pods on the cover was only released in Chicago. I was living in New York at the time and I don't remember seeing that cover and I bought every issue that fall.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I am not 100% positive but I think the issue with Pods on the cover was only released in Chicago. I was living in New York at the time and I don't remember seeing that cover and I bought every issue that fall.
SI Cover Vault suggests you are remembering incorrectly.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...dd/1/index.htm
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:19 PM
ode to veeck ode to veeck is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: silicon valley, CA
Posts: 12,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi im skot View Post
yep got it
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
soltrain21 soltrain21 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orland Park
Posts: 14,231
Default

I actually remember not even being happy the White Sox won the World Series after seeing Manning/Brady on the cover. I was just like, "**** everything. Take it all back. We aren't on the cover of SI so I don't even care."

TEAL.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 PM
ode to veeck ode to veeck is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: silicon valley, CA
Posts: 12,722
Default

A true Ozzie cover should have a caption full of special characters
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM
rockinrobin23 rockinrobin23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 302
Default

Si only put the Blackhawks on the cover in Chi-town when they won the cup, i had to get a friend to send me a copy..SI hates Chi-town and that bogus article about Walter Payton as well...i hate si...
__________________
WA State champs trophy that my team won this past summer.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,379
Default

The World Series commemorative edition is NOT the same as the weekly S.I. is it? It's a special put out so fans of that particular team can buy it and make S.I. (and whoever owns them) more money.

Interesting that S.I. had teams on the cover winning the World Series before the Sox and afterwards but not them. Remember Brady / Manning in a regular season game was more important!

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The World Series commemorative edition is NOT the same as the weekly S.I. is it? It's a special put out so fans of that particular team can buy it and make S.I. (and whoever owns them) more money.

Interesting that S.I. had teams on the cover winning the World Series before the Sox and afterwards but not them. Remember Brady / Manning in a regular season game was more important!

Lip
While it's true that the vast majority of WS champs have been on the cover over the last decade, the '99 and '00 Yankees didn't make the cover either.

I think '05 was more a case of exposure of opponent, and the national media's obsession with football.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.