White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 AM
WSI Personality

Default Who pays minor league players?

I always wondered, are all minor league players under contract to the big league team, or just the guys on the 40 man roster? Who pays them? Since a good number of minor league teams are owned by someone other than the big league ownership, is there some sort of operating agreement between the teams to lease the players or something like that? Just wondering, since it seems like a lot of teams have the freedom to enter into their own agreements with towns, vendors, etc, but really have no control over what players are placed on their teams.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I always wondered, are all minor league players under contract to the big league team, or just the guys on the 40 man roster? Who pays them? Since a good number of minor league teams are owned by someone other than the big league ownership, is there some sort of operating agreement between the teams to lease the players or something like that? Just wondering, since it seems like a lot of teams have the freedom to enter into their own agreements with towns, vendors, etc, but really have no control over what players are placed on their teams.
As far as I am aware, the Major League team is responsible for player salaries for all players in its minor league system. I knew a guy from college who wound up playing a couple seasons in the very low levels of the Orioles' farm system and his paychecks were always directly from the Orioles, not the team he was actually playing for.

I believe the minor league affiliate is responsible for all other expenses, except for player and coaches' salaries.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
As far as I am aware, the Major League team is responsible for player salaries for all players in its minor league system. I knew a guy from college who wound up playing a couple seasons in the very low levels of the Orioles' farm system and his paychecks were always directly from the Orioles, not the team he was actually playing for.

I believe the minor league affiliate is responsible for all other expenses, except for player and coaches' salaries.
Makes sense to me, thanks for the info! Are you aware if there is any sort of deal where the minor league team has to share in any sort of profits from a player or something like that? As in, did a team like Syracuse have to do anything special because they got a bump in sales/attendance etc when Bryce Harper played for them, or are just lucky to fall into extra cash because the big league team sent him there instead of another minor league level in a different city?