White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

I love Bacardi at the park and spend a lot of time at the games in the bar as much as in my seat. However..I'm trying not to get to used to the new bar as I'm waiting for the day when entering Bacardi at the Park is only for "private parties only" and not just general fans at the game. To me..it's not a question of if..but when that day comes.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiec View Post
FWIW on the upper deck issue, I had several conversations with my season ticket rep around the time the policy was changed to limit access to the lower deck. In general, I was complaining that during crowded games bathroom lines downstairs could be a couple of innings long, and the same with concession lines. There had been cases where I went to the upper deck to use the bathroom and buy food, which seemed ridiculous to me.

It had become a common practice to buy an upper deck ticket and watch the game from the concourse. The concourse facilities in the lower deck were not designed to handle that many people.

My season ticket rep told me that this was the number one season ticket holder complaint for the last couple of years, and they were going to address it. The policy was changed shortly after.

I have no problem with everyone having access to the lower deck. But the open design of the concourse encourages people to hang out and watch the game, which is somewhat unique to USCF. If they leave it open to everyone, they need to increase the facilities downstairs, or figure out a way to encourage people not to hang out and watch the entire game down there. People sneaking into the seats isn't the real problem. People paying more money to sit downstairs and not having access to what they paid for is.

Maybe that says something about that upper deck, if people are willing to stand in crowded concourse, rather than sitting in a seat to watch a game.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Maybe that says something about that upper deck, if people are willing to stand in crowded concourse, rather than sitting in a seat to watch a game.
It sure does. But is should be pointed out that this occurred before the upper deck was remodeled. While I suspect the same problem would occur nowadays, it may not be as bad.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
While I suspect the same problem would occur nowadays, it may not be as bad.
There is only one way to find out.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1972 View Post
This is one of the BIGGEST advantages the Sox have had over other teams and ballparks in the past that has now been eliminated for 60% of the fans during an average game. The Sox took away a big time advantage they had over Wrigley when they enacted the policy.

A comparison would be if the Cubs suddenly enacted a policy stating.."only those who purchase box seat tickets can go to the bars in Wrigleville". (1) Would more Cubs fans start buying more box seat tickets? or (2) would Cubs fans say..'screw it..I'm just not going to go to the game at all". The answer for most would be the latter and it is the same for many Sox fans with this policy.
FWIW, Wrigley blocks more of its ballpark than the Sox do. You can't go into the bleachers with a grandstand ticket. And you can't go into the upper deck without an upper deck ticket. Why? Because the bathrooms and concessions in the upper deck there can't handle standing room fans.

Never heard a Cubs fan complain about this.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I love Bacardi at the park and spend a lot of time at the games in the bar as much as in my seat. However..I'm trying not to get to used to the new bar as I'm waiting for the day when entering Bacardi at the Park is only for "private parties only" and not just general fans at the game. To me..it's not a question of if..but when that day comes.
I don't know what kind of business plan they would have to have for this to make sense. I don't think it's something to worry about.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
FWIW on the upper deck issue, I had several conversations with my season ticket rep around the time the policy was changed to limit access to the lower deck. In general, I was complaining that during crowded games bathroom lines downstairs could be a couple of innings long, and the same with concession lines. There had been cases where I went to the upper deck to use the bathroom and buy food, which seemed ridiculous to me.

It had become a common practice to buy an upper deck ticket and watch the game from the concourse. The concourse facilities in the lower deck were not designed to handle that many people.

My season ticket rep told me that this was the number one season ticket holder complaint for the last couple of years, and they were going to address it. The policy was changed shortly after.

I have no problem with everyone having access to the lower deck. But the open design of the concourse encourages people to hang out and watch the game, which is somewhat unique to USCF. If they leave it open to everyone, they need to increase the facilities downstairs, or figure out a way to encourage people not to hang out and watch the entire game down there. People sneaking into the seats isn't the real problem. People paying more money to sit downstairs and not having access to what they paid for is.
I also remember when the park first opened in 1991 they had large metal gates separating the outfield concourse (bleacher area) from the rest of the park, and you couldn't pass if you didn't have a ticket to that area.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Sorry to bump a somewhat old thread, but the Cubs have announced they will cut the prices for tickets in 2013. It would probably behoove the White Sox to do the same but what is really fascinating is a stat given in this story that says the White Sox trail only the Yankees for "most expensive cheapest ticket." That is worded poorly by me because I can't think of a better way to word it but if you scroll down in the article you will see what I mean.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/10/...-ticket-prices

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM
WSI Guru

There does seem to be some discrepancies among the various places that compile ticket prices regarding the Sox place in the standings. Guess it depends of how you factor things but I've seen more put the Sox in the high end than on the lower one.

And the overall public for right or wrong thinks the Sox are towards the high end.

Lip
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM

My thinking is, if it was on the low end the Sox would let the public and media know that, if on the high end , say nothing.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 AM
WSI Guru

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...seat-syndrome/

Lip
Old 10-21-2012, 06:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
That's a good article, it seems that as always Sox ownership is being penny wise and pound foolish. That seems to be a trend amongst Sox ownership that harkens back to the days of the original owner.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
That's a good article, it seems that as always Sox ownership is being penny wise and pound foolish. That seems to be a trend amongst Sox ownership that harkens back to the days of the original owner.
Add to that the Sox lock you into the section where the cheap seats are (restrictions to the Upper Deck)** while other teams don't and allow you access to the rest of their ballparks.

** Also known as the "no peasants policy" of the lower deck...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Add to that the Sox lock you into the section where the cheap seats are (restrictions to the Upper Deck)** while other teams don't and allow you access to the rest of their ballparks.

** Also known as the "no peasants policy" of the lower deck...
For the Sox, that's upper deck vs. lower deck. For the Yankees, that's by level and by section.