White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
What is so hard to understand? He roots for the Sox above all, and then stays loyal to the AL on down the line, the Yankees being a special case that shouldn't be hard to understand given the history. That was and is the reality for a lot of us.
But if everyone hates division rivals like the Tigers, Twins, etc, why would you root for them ahead of another AL team you're neutral on--say Baltimore, or Seattle?

If I've spent the whole damn season wishing failure on a team, it makes no sense to all of a sudden favor them when they go up against another team I haven't seen play 1248x a season and maybe has an interesting narrative or players who are fun to watch.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
Um, have they seen the neighborhood surrounding Comerica Park?! Pot, meet kettle. I went up there for a Sox/Tigers game in July 2006 and felt like I was in the ghetto the whole time - buildings with blown out windows, abandoned cars, etc. There was a nice Holiday Inn a few blocks from the part, which is where we stayed, and a Cheli's Chili steps from the ballpark, but that's about it.

It's ironic, yes. Downtown Detroit is an interesting place. For every block that makes progress, there's a building next door that is abandoned and falling apart. The stadiums have certainly done a lot to help that immediate area (which I think was basically a giant burned out chunk on abandoned nothingness 15 years ago), but there's still a long ways to go before there's a full continuous nice downtown there.

I suppose if you drove in from the suburbs and parked within a few blocks to the south of the stadium, you might see only the decent area by the Detroit Athletic Club, the opera house, the Fox theatre strip, and the two stadiums, and that area does appear to be quite cool. But that's a very small area, probably only about the size of the parking immediately between 35th and 37th street at the Cell. Venturing immediately north across the highway or west past Fox Theatre, and you're suddenly in a different world.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 PM
WSI High Priest

I can understand the booing for Matt Holliday. That was a bush league slide and he's lucky he didn't tear up Scutaro's knee.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
I can understand the booing for Matt Holliday. That was a bush league slide and he's lucky he didn't tear up Scutaro's knee.
Or break his leg. I'm all for a hard slide at second base, but Holliday slid late and looked like he was trying to injure Scutaro.

The baseball gods punished him with an error later in the game.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Tim McCarver is an idiot, the Cardinals are not arguing that Blanco was out of hte baseline, they were arguing that Craig tagged him. And he did.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Tim McCarver is an idiot, the Cardinals are not arguing that Blanco was out of hte baseline, they were arguing that Craig tagged him. And he did.
The sky is blue, water is wet, and everybody poops.

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 AM
WSI High Priest

More empty seats.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
But if everyone hates division rivals like the Tigers, Twins, etc, why would you root for them ahead of another AL team you're neutral on--say Baltimore, or Seattle?

If I've spent the whole damn season wishing failure on a team, it makes no sense to all of a sudden favor them when they go up against another team I haven't seen play 1248x a season and maybe has an interesting narrative or players who are fun to watch.
I don't hate the division rivals. I want them to lose when it benefits the Sox, but I actually respect what they have done with very little in some cases. The Yankees constant dominance, achieved by having more money than anyone else, is bad for the American League, and bad for baseball. They get all the benefits of a free market (getting to keep their bloated revenue) while having none of the disadvantages (they can and would block another team from moving in to their territory, which could EASILY support another team.) They sign whatever free agents they want, and can keep their own talent from leaving via free agency by outbidding everyone else.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-16-2012, 01:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
But you can root for the Yankee$? I'll never understand that mindset. My loyalty is White Sox first, then AL Central, then any AL but Yankees. Unless there was ever (heaven forbid) a Yankees/Cubs series in my lifetime. I guess I'd just completely ignore that.
I mentioned this possibility to the ball & chain, but then added that I doubt that I will live that long.

SMO
Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
I mentioned this possibility to the ball & chain, but then added that I doubt that I will live that long.

SMO
It nearly happened in 2003. It probably should have happened. But since it didn't happen, it probably never will.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I don't hate the division rivals. I want them to lose when it benefits the Sox, but I actually respect what they have done with very little in some cases. The Yankees constant dominance, achieved by having more money than anyone else, is bad for the American League, and bad for baseball. They get all the benefits of a free market (getting to keep their bloated revenue) while having none of the disadvantages (they can and would block another team from moving in to their territory, which could EASILY support another team.) They sign whatever free agents they want, and can keep their own talent from leaving via free agency by outbidding everyone else.
Apparently I was mistaken, but I thought you hated the Yankees going back to the 1960s and 1950s, the way most Sox fans hated the Yankees, because they were bitter rivals.

Yankee hatred existed and was widespread before free agency, although there always seemed a monetary aspect. The decade when baseball had both a reserve clause and an amateur draft coincides with the decade since the 1920s when the Yankees didn't contend. But the money when the Yankees stood between the White Sox and a couple more championships in the decade before the amatuer draft was smaller in scale. I don't see how anyone with a soul could have been rooting for the Yankees over the Brooklyn Dodgers in those World Series matchups.

I can't wish ill will on the Tigers for six months and feel good about watching them win in the postseason. I can't ever feel good about cheering for the Yankees. I know there are Cubs fans who would never cheer for the Cardinals in the World Series. I had a supervisor at my job in 2005 who told me when the Cardinals and Astros where in the NLCS playing to face the White Sox that as a Cubs fan, a World Series between the White Sox and Cardinals would be his worst nightmare.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:30 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post

Well first, it's sports, it doesn't have to be completely rational all the time and second, it makes perfect sense if people want to root for their own divisional foes if they're out of the picture because their success casts a positive light on your own team. It's embarrassing when the Sox struggle in what is usually the worst division in baseball, but if the Tigers are actually a lot better than their record may suggest, it adds legitimacy to the entire division.

At any rate, seriously, who the **** cares why someone else chooses to root for another team over another?

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Apparently I was mistaken, but I thought you hated the Yankees going back to the 1960s and 1950s, the way most Sox fans hated the Yankees, because they were bitter rivals.
Oh, I do. The Yankees won every AL Pennant from the time I was born until I was 16 years old, with the exception of '54 and '59.

But I don't limit myself on the number of reasons to hate the Yankees.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 PM
WSI's 2010 PTC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
well first, it's sports, it doesn't have to be completely rational all the time and second, it makes perfect sense if people want to root for their own divisional foes if they're out of the picture because their success casts a positive light on your own team. It's embarrassing when the sox struggle in what is usually the worst division in baseball, but if the tigers are actually a lot better than their record may suggest, it adds legitimacy to the entire division.

At any rate, seriously, who the **** cares why someone else chooses to root for another team over another?
+1, especially about the embarrassment when the Sox struggle in a poor division.

Last edited by Johnny Mostil; 10-16-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
For some reason, the Rays (2008) escaped.
Probably because that Sox squad had no business in the playoffs to begin with.