White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
Happy to hear. Glad Jake-miester is staying on the Southside......yes!!!
I thought there'd be more negative feedback regarding the amount he was getting paid. $14.5mill per year. He's pitched well in one of his last 4 seasons and it was a FA year.

Bob
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Did not see this coming at all. Very pleased with the beginning of the Hahn era.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L
September 27 W

Next Game: ??
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
I'm not necessarily complaining, I understand proven solid starting pitching comes at a premium price. Hopefully he comes back and becomes the pitcher he was pre-injury.

I'm glad we have another solid rotation this year (on paper, at least).
Am I the only one who thinks the Sox should seriously consider a 6 man rotatio nnext year due to the youth of Sale and Quintana, Santiago being young and unproven and not used to the workload. Even Floyd has been dinged up the last couple of years. And dare I say that Peavy is still fragile.

Bob
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
So we're paying Danks ace money to be a #3. Fantastic.
Danks is a 3 now? And is $15 million per year considered Ace money these days?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
I thought there'd be more negative feedback regarding the amount he was getting paid. $14.5mill per year. He's pitched well in one of his last 4 seasons and it was a FA year.

Bob
You mean the one season out of the last 4 where he was actually healthy he pitched well? Amazing!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the Sox should seriously consider a 6 man rotatio nnext year due to the youth of Sale and Quintana, Santiago being young and unproven and not used to the workload. Even Floyd has been dinged up the last couple of years. And dare I say that Peavy is still fragile.

Bob
I'm not necessarily against going to it at key times of the year when the load gets tough on some guys. I think you'll even start seeing this in some places across baseball. Having a strong staff 1-4 or 1-5 in April-July doesn't help you close out a playoff race or win in the playoffs. You need your best guys going best late in the season. For that reason, I'm not against it even though it still might be viewed as unconventional in some circles.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
WSI Personality

Part of me feels like we are stuck in a time machine and our moves keep turning out to be keeping our core intact when our core has led us to nothing but middle of the road seasons. However, Peavy was truly a bulldog for us last year and those innings are so valuable. So I have mixed feelings.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 PM
WSI Personality

I like the signing and a 2-year contract is not a big risk in my opinion. With that said, go get us some bats Rick.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 PM
WSI High Priest

I hope Jake can pitch like he did last year. I don't think anyone would argue he pitched anywhere close to what he earned on his last contract, but here's a new opportunity.

He could have gotten more elsewhere, but he's almost earned $70 million over his career already. I don't think he's hurting right now. Right now it's more about a good fit for him. I think I'd do the same thing. Would I really notice the difference between $100 million and $110 million over my career? I would probably notice that I was a lot happier playing in a place I felt comfortable though.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Part of me feels like we are stuck in a time machine and our moves keep turning out to be keeping our core intact when our core has led us to nothing but middle of the road seasons. However, Peavy was truly a bulldog for us last year and those innings are so valuable. So I have mixed feelings.
Yes with more runs on the board the Peave can put up similar performance next year and pencil him in for about 16-8 and 3-ish ERA.

Robin has to rein in impulse to let the Peave and the Sale to run up
high pitch count ballgames; that is the biggest arm burnout cause, more so
than total innings over the year.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:25 AM
WSI Personality

Default 2013

Now that Peavy and Floyd are back for 2013,all that Hahn has to do now is sign Josh Hamilton as a free agent and then trade Dunn for a third baseman. Once that is done we can start our magic number countdown for 2013. Other than that I want to wish everyone out there a very Happy Halloween!

Last edited by Golden Sox; 10-31-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 AM
WSI Prelate

This is a good move. I like our rotation now. I like it even better if Danks returns to form, because it means Quintana, Santiago, etc. can battle it out for the fifth starter role. You can never have too much starting pitching.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
Yep. Just like the Giants paid Tim Lincecum $18M to come out of the bullpen when it counted most.

Starting pitching, actually pitching depth in general, is the most important thing in this game and teams are going to pay for it. What would you consider Kyle Lohse in St. Louis (with Carpenter and Wainwright)? Because he was being paid $11.875M the past two seasons and will - without a doubt - get more in FA this off season to be a 2 or 3 somewhere else.
Seriously. People ****ing whine about the Sox and their "small market thinking" and then they whine when the Sox act like big market teams and have an overpaid vet here or there. Christ, I know we'd all like the Sox to have 25 All-Star caliber players making the league minimum and 10 Blue Chip prospects stashed in the minors, but that's not reality.

Good move by the Sox. $14 M a year for a pitcher of his caliber is a great deal and the 2-year deal is just excellent considering his injury history (that is hopefully a thing of the past) and considering what he probably could have snagged on the open market.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:

Bob
Peavy didn't picth "well" last year. He was excellent. $14 M a year for 2 years is a great move for a pitcher of his talent with a very low risk thanks to the short life of the contract. Look around the MLB landscape, where are you going to find a pitcher of his talent sign a deal like this? It's an absolutely fantastic move by Hahn and a real team-first move by Jake. I can't believe there's any negative feedback at all in this thread.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm very happy with the move. A good starting rotation will keep you in the playoff hunt irrespective of the strength of the other teams in the division...and make no mistake, the Tigers will come back stronger next year.

Even if this season is disappointing, that contract is highly tradeable as it is both market rate AND gives the acquiring team another year of the player.

It looks like Hahn is designing it so that a huge amount of money comes off the books at the same time after 2014.