White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default Hahn: I want Youkilis, AJ and Myers back in 2013

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...edium=facebook

All hail The Rick
Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Get it done, Rick. If just one, make it AJ.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

With Peavy and Floyd back, I don't think there is any way Myers comes back. If Floyd is traded, maybe bring Myers back as 4th or 5th starter (if Myers is willing to sign a one year deal -- highly unlikely). The Sox already have Reed, Jones and Crain under contract as righties in the bullpen.

Youkilis isn't worth signing to more than a one year deal and he's likely not interested in that. Seems like he's headed to the west coast (Oakland?) and we hit the re-set button on the Brent Morel era OR move The Tank back to third, sign a FA to play left for a year until our outfield prospects are ready.

A.J.? Would love to see him back for two years, but I think other teams (e.g. NYY) will offer him a three year deal. I think A.J. only comes back if he's prepared to give the Sox a steep home-town discount or JR swoops in at the last minute like he did with Paulie. A.J. seemingly likes playing on the South Side so I suppose it's possible he's back in 2013 -- though unlikely.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't picture AJ as the sentimental type who believes in hometown discounts. I don't blame him. I wouldn't be shocked to see someone throw $24 million for three years at him. I wouldn't want it to be the Sox.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM
WSI Prelate

You want the same team that did not make the playoffs?

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:09 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Youkilis isn't worth signing to more than a one year deal and he's likely not interested in that. Seems like he's headed to the west coast (Oakland?) and we hit the re-set button on the Brent Morel era OR move The Tank back to third, sign a FA to play left for a year until our outfield prospects are ready.

A.J.? Would love to see him back for two years, but I think other teams (e.g. NYY) will offer him a three year deal. I think A.J. only comes back if he's prepared to give the Sox a steep home-town discount or JR swoops in at the last minute like he did with Paulie. A.J. seemingly likes playing on the South Side so I suppose it's possible he's back in 2013 -- though unlikely.
This is exactly how I feel, I'm perfectly fine with another summer of AJ and Youk if they're willing to sign some team-friendly deals, if not, thanks for everything and we'll just have to move on. Unless Hahn has figured out a way to talk JR into opening the checkbook even more than his predecessor.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
you want the same team that did not make the playoffs?
+1
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

They were close, maybe adding a few quality bench players, the maturing of some of the kids, and then again maybe not. But whats the choice at this time? The Sox dont have many trade chips and I dont see them going deep into the free agent market. The minors are bare in position players for next year. And god forbid a nuclear blow up.

Last edited by Noneck; 10-31-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Not even the same team considering most of the best players are aging, and now a year older. I guess you could say a couple of the young guys could improve, and hopefully Danks gets back on track.

I'm just hoping some moves are made besides bringing back the same guys.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That's a silly point of view. That only applies if they are bringing back bad players who caused them to miss the playoffs, and passing over better options to keep them. Who available is better than AJ? I mean, if you really believe in Flowers and think they need to hand the reins to him, that is a valid view, but AJ is by far the best catcher available on the market. Myers did a pretty good job in his time with the Sox, but they could probably find someone cheaper who did the same. Who is readily available and an upgrade over Youkilis next year? Or do you think they should go with Morel just because they didn't win the division?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't get the love for Youk. He's fragile, bad defensively, can't run the bases and is walk/HR or nothing.

We all know how I feel about AJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM
WSI Personality

I'd like to have AJ and Youk back, but I don't see how its going to work financially. Somebody is going to throw some stupid money at AJ, making it dumb to bring him back at huge money for at least 2 years, most likely 3.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
That's a silly point of view. That only applies if they are bringing back bad players who caused them to miss the playoffs, and passing over better options to keep them. Who available is better than AJ? I mean, if you really believe in Flowers and think they need to hand the reins to him, that is a valid view, but AJ is by far the best catcher available on the market. Myers did a pretty good job in his time with the Sox, but they could probably find someone cheaper who did the same. Who is readily available and an upgrade over Youkilis next year? Or do you think they should go with Morel just because they didn't win the division?
Yes. First off, the Sox should hopefully get more production from Danks this year. Second, they need to only make up 3 games on Detroit, it's not like we're bringing back a team that's lost 95+ games the last few years. The Sox's biggest problem this year was their complete lack of depth that ultimately exposed the team's age at the end of the season. Add a nice bench bat or two that can spell some of these guys every now and then should be enough to really compete with all the Tigers' firepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog1017 View Post
I'd like to have AJ and Youk back, but I don't see how its going to work financially. Somebody is going to throw some stupid money at AJ, making it dumb to bring him back at huge money for at least 2 years, most likely 3.
The Sox have exclusive negotiating rights with AJ and the rest of their own FA until Friday, so I believe that's their only chance to retain him. If they allow him into the open FA market, he's going to have someone throw an idiotic amount of money at him. But if the Sox can hammer out a deal everyone thinks is fair in the next 48 hours, maybe he'll be back.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Huh?

One of main reasons we did not make the postseason was that Quintana and Sale were pitching into uncharted territory for them from mid August to the end. This coming year they will be in better shape for the stretch run now that they know what it is like to get to 180+ innings. On the Score last night, Coop said that next year we will see an unleashed Sale with no limits on his pitch count or innings.

Yes, the hitting could have been more timely in the last five weeks or so, but I think it was a matter fatigue more than anything else that killed it.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Youk? Good-bye.
AJ? Sign him.
Myers? Sign him, if feasible.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello