White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
Assuming Flowers is expected to be a major contributor next year, who is going to be backing him up? Gimenez? Or do we go out and get a guy like Kelly Shoppach to split time behind the plate?
If Flowers is the starter, I think you almost have to bring in a veteran backup, someone like Shoppach. I don't trust Gimenez to be that guy.
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSpalehoseCWS View Post

If Flowers is the starter, I think you almost have to bring in a veteran backup, someone like Shoppach. I don't trust Gimenez to be that guy.
This may be a little too much of a video game type move, but what about dealing Beckham, Floyd and + for a new younger mid-order starting catcher (akin to the deals that landed Santana in Cleveland and Montero in Seattle) then have Flowers back up, sign Keppinger for 2B and Polanco for 3B.

That way we get two good contact bats and a young emerging run producer to balance the lineup.

And yes, I'm not averse to selling high on either Beckham or Viciedo at this point as long as we get back a guy who will impact the roster for a number of years.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Lesson learned with young players, either commit to them as starters or send them somewhere else. Flowers did not understand how to stay sharp as a bench player and as a result, his timing was way off the entire season. Either **** or get off the pot with him. Veteran help will be needed regardless.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
You'll note that nowhere did I make an idiotic statement like "I would strike out less than Flowers and Dunn."
...even though you probably would.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't think the Sox need to worry about adding any significant pieces to the staff. Yes, it's always good to pick up some more arms, but I don't think they should invest much resources into acquiring any. Clearly, pitching depth is a strength for the Sox, and if that's where the talent in the organization is you've got to just go with those guys like Reed in the closer role, Santiago, Quintana, Jones, etc.

It was the batters who failed the team for the most part. I'd like to see some moves in that realm for sure. Obviously, I'm not a fan of Dunn in the lineup. If he stays he should be put into a platoon and in that case I'd like to see the Sox acquire a right handed hitter who can play first base. Against lefties, bench Dunn, DH Konerko and put your right handed hitter at first and use him as a utility man against righties. This player would only have to have minimal success at the plate to improve upon Dunn's production likely production, and allow Konerko a good rest.

I'm in favor of Viciedo in left and Ramirez and Beckham still holding the double play combo.

As far catcher, I really don't know what they should do but it should be interesting. Whether or not Flowers is given the job, obviously they'll need to acquire another catcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
For CATCHER we need a guy with heft of Ed Herrman, the HRs or Carlton Fisk, the heart of Miguel Olivo, and the hustle of Brian Downing.

For 3rd Base we need in one player the hands of Crede, the power of Melton, and the clutch of Ventura (the player).

Do these players exist in MLB or high minors?
Trade Floyd and a package to get them, shed AJ, Youk, dead meat old wood.
Man, I hope Hahn reads this post.

But for hands of Crede, power of Melton and clutch of Ventura, couldn't you have just said 'Ventura'?

Last edited by TheVulture; 11-08-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
...even though you probably would.
LOL...I figure if I got 500 major league at bats, I'd strike out in 450 of them, get hit by pitches in about 30 because I can't get out of the way, and maybe draw 20 walks by pure luck.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)