White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Come on Hahn. Make your mark on this offseason. I'm getting ancy with all these teams pulling off deals and us just standing pat. Shake it up!
At least we might have a better chance of seeing buerhle pitch next year, it will be weird seeing him in a jays uni though.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Come on Hahn. Make your mark on this offseason. I'm getting ancy with all these teams pulling off deals and us just standing pat. Shake it up!
That is not who Rick Hahn is. Hahn builds from within, he is not Kenny, he is going to try and build a sustainable winner. I don't think we are in for a total tear down ala the Cubs, but we will see a more conservative, calculated approach IMHO.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
Once again, I will have to tell you compared to second baseman around the league he is better than average . Plays great D and is a better RBI man than most around both leagues. Not sure who or what you guys think they are going to get to match that. There is constant complaining about his offense but he did have 70 RBI's or so and that is well above the average in the league for his position. You seem to expect way too much production out of this position or you are still stuck in the 90's where there were quite a few good ones around.
Not sure if this is a real post or should have been Teal, but lets take a look....

of 21 qualifying 2b in the MLB last year, Beckham was 16th out of 21 in Batting Average...On Base Percentage 20 out of 21.....OPS 17 out of 21...Slugging Percentage 16 out of 21....RBI 13 out of 21...Wins Above Replacement Player 19 out of 21...stolen bases 19 out of 21....

So basically, your homerism is telling you Gordon is one of the better offensive 2b in baseball, except EVERY stat out there says he just is not.

Furthermore, he was not a gold glove calibur defender. He is reliable, but his UZR was negative last year, -0.7. His range was not good. He showed less range than Dan Uggla.... Dan freaking Uggla! Gordon turns the DP well, and he is pretty solid with the stuff hit in his vicinity, but basically your average 2b would perform about as well as he did last year defensively.

That is just unbias reflection of how his stats measure up vs. everyone else.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
That is not who Rick Hahn is. Hahn builds from within, he is not Kenny, he is going to try and build a sustainable winner. I don't think we are in for a total tear down ala the Cubs, but we will see a more conservative, calculated approach IMHO.
I agree completely.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

This is just a random thought I had. What would it take to get J.P. Arencibia from the Jays? He's expendable now. They have D'Arnaud who has no business being in the minors anymore and just acquired Buck as their backup. Maybe Beckham + a prospect or two to get him?
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Except that every move he's made so far has run counter to that idea: Bringing back Peavy, re-upping Floyd, open to trading away lower salaried underpeformers, looking to bring back Youk, etc.

Only Rick Hahn knows what kind of GM he's going to be given the resources that ownership gives him.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Uh no, he is above average defensively and offensively compared to the other second baseman around. FALSE. Check it out.
I wish he was but so far at least he isn't. I thought Beckham would be much better than he has been so far. He got off to a really good start, but after the first few months it has been a monumental struggle. The more I think about it Robin and Co did a helluva job with what they had. I didn't care for some of the head scratching in game moves, but overall I give the new regime a B/B+ in their first year. Maybe Manto can work some magic with Beckham this spring.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSpalehoseCWS View Post
This is just a random thought I had. What would it take to get J.P. Arencibia from the Jays? He's expendable now. They have D'Arnaud who has no business being in the minors anymore and just acquired Buck as their backup. Maybe Beckham + a prospect or two to get him?
Arenciba could be had. He's better than Buck. Anybody know about his defensive abilities?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
Arenciba could be had. He's better than Buck. Anybody know about his defensive abilities?
had a high catcher's ERA last year (but most Toronto catchers did). He threw out 29% of potential base stealers, higher than AJ, below league average, similar to guys like Posey, Carlos Santana etc.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

And you know this how?

This is his first GM job, how could he have "built" anything?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSpalehoseCWS View Post
Arencibia is an interesting trade possibility but the Jays now have M. Izturis and E. Bonofacio to play second. They don't need Beckham.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Except that every move he's made so far has run counter to that idea: Bringing back Peavy, re-upping Floyd, open to trading away lower salaried underpeformers, looking to bring back Youk, etc.

Only Rick Hahn knows what kind of GM he's going to be given the resources that ownership gives him.
It does look like more of the same. We'll see what he can do by April.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Half the teams in the AL were platooning this season. Who cares about steals? Above average in HR's and RBI's. WAY WAY above average on defense. I doubt they can equal his production through a trade . I like the chemistry with Ramirez, not in favor of a trade of Beckham or Dayan .
I tend to agree. Having one offensive hole in the Infield, with that being Beckham at 2nd or 3rd, is probably okay. Sure we can find some .320 obp 2b with 12 homers and mediocre defense easy enough; but real upgrades are expensive in talent.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Then what are his plans for improving the "Within" because right now it's dreadful.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
How do you know he's better than Buck if you don't know his defensive capabilities?