White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 06:23 PM
WSI Personality

Default Buster Posey and Miguel Cabrera win MVP

Both were landslides and I can see Posey winning by a large margin but I really expected the AL voting to be alot closer. I feel Trout was the real MVP for the AL though.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Banned

22 to 6 in first place voting is a disgrace.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Icon10

Both deserved this honor,but 22-6 is slighly tilted,IMO.

I'm just glad Posey's team beat Cabrera's in the World Series.

Gotta love a Giants WS Sweep!!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I feel Trout was the real MVP for the AL though.
Many others feel that way,myself included.However,if Trout puts up similar numbers in '13,he will be a candidate again.I hope he wins the award by a land slide some day.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Trout had the better season, but it's hard to be too upset with a Triple Crown winner being MVP.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
j... I'm just glad Posey's team beat Cabrera's in the World Series. ...
Last out of the World Series had both league MVPs at the plate, one in failure making the out offensively and the other in victory getting the putout defensively. I don't know if that has ever happened before, but I'm guessing it hasn't.

Because I think both selections were so obvious to me, I wouldn't have been surprised if both votes had been unanimous. I could see how some writers could have voted for Trout, but Posey wasn't simply an offensive force. He was the leader of a first-place team on defense and evn in the clubhouse.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Last out of the World Series had both league MVPs at the plate, one in failure making the out offensively and the other in victory getting the putout defensively. I don't know if that has ever happened before, but I'm guessing it hasn't.

Because I think both selections were so obvious to me, I wouldn't have been surprised if both votes had been unanimous. I could see how some writers could have voted for Trout, but Posey wasn't simply an offensive force. He was the leader of a first-place team on defense and evn in the clubhouse.
You have to go back to 1976 just to find a season in which both MVP winners were in the World Series.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Anyone listening to the Score or ESPN? I'm still at work and haven't heard a word. What's the commenting like?

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 11-16-2012, 05:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post
Trout had the better season, but it's hard to be too upset with a Triple Crown winner being MVP.
Did he? Because baseball-reference said his WAR is higher? Does anybody here know how to calculate WAR? I'm just asking, for all I know some of you do. Trout is a sensational young talent, and I probably appreciate defense more than most baseball fans, but like you said it's hard to kick about Cabrera winning the award this year.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Did he? Because baseball-reference said his WAR is higher? Does anybody here know how to calculate WAR? I'm just asking, for all I know some of you do. Trout is a sensational young talent, and I probably appreciate defense more than most baseball fans, but like you said it's hard to kick about Cabrera winning the award this year.
Yes

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yes
He could be a once in a generation type of player, and I sure as hell wish we had him. I love watching him play.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I don't think WAR is perfect but in this case I feel it gives a good idea on who really had the better year. Trout had a 10.7 WAR while missing 3 weeks of the season which is historical and Cabrera had a 6.9 WAR which is good but can also be considered even below MVP standards in a saber type of view.

I don't have a problem with a triple crown winner winning the MVP but for Trout to only get 6 first place votes is a pretty old fashioned way of thinking by the writers. Most MLB teams if not all are using saber stats to evaluate players so it's probably time for the writers to start doing the same.

I don't buy into this logic of Cabrera won because he lead his team into the playoffs either. In the final 30 games of the season the Angels went 19-11 while the Tigers went 18-13. The main reason why the Tigers advanced is because the Whitesox stumbled and the Athletics won 8 of their last 9 games. Mike Trout energized a slumping team into a playoff contender and had he been called up earlier I think the Angels make the playoffs.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You don't even need to use WAR. Just look at their offensive statistics (avg, obp, slg) and then factor in that Trout is far superior on defense and on the basepaths. This really isn't hard. Trout also played in a worse hitter's ballpark and in a tougher division. Trout was better in 2012, but I'm just happy we've finally evolved enough as a baseball world to where this is even debated.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post
You don't even need to use WAR. Just look at their offensive statistics (avg, obp, slg) and then factor in that Trout is far superior on defense and on the basepaths. This really isn't hard. Trout also played in a worse hitter's ballpark and in a tougher division. Trout was better in 2012, but I'm just happy we've finally evolved enough as a baseball world to where this is even debated.
I did.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...-leaders.shtml

Is it that big a runaway? I think that eventually all the awards will be made on the basis of WAR or a combination of saber stats. I also don't think that will be a good thing. It is not possible for me to go into this in greater detail without crossing the line into forbidden territory. I just do not wish to cede all decision making to the bean counters of the world. Anyway, Trout and Cabrera both had great years and I would love to have Trout on the Sox. If I had the power to pick one player in MLB for the Sox it would probably be him.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 PM
WSI Personality

A Triple Crown season from a veteran is so much safer a pick than a sabermetric wet dream season from a rookie. Not surprising that Cabrera won, but the margin certainly is.