White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default Cubs Sign Schierholtz.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5116520.story

Start printing those World Series tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If only the Sox had gotten him first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,143
Default

I heard this earlier tonight but I knew it was fitting to be posted by another.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5116520.story

Start printing those World Series tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If only the Sox had gotten him first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lip
Two offseasons ago, when the White Sox needed a right fielder with Rios slated for center, I posted that I believed the White Sox would have been a better team if they had acquired Schierholtz instead of signing Dunn. I still believe that. Schierholtz is an elite defensive right fielder and I think he is a better hitter than Dunn (alghough the list of major leaguers who are better hitters than Dunn is a long one). I think Schierholtz would have improved the team offensively as well as defensively. You wouldn't have needed to sign a DH (and the White Sox signed oine who couldn't hit very well) because they would have been able to move Quentin to DH. Quentin would have been a better DH than Dunn. Quentin would have had an easier time staying in the lineup if he hadn't been exposed in the field. The White Sox also would have had more payroll flexibility, the lack of which is still affecting the team today. With Rios playing right very well and hitting well, and the White Sox having signed Dunn and given away Quentin, who would have been a more productive DH, there would be no reason for hte White Sox to sign Schierholtz.

I wish you would have paid attention to my argument instead of belittling me.

The Giants traded Schierholtz to the Phillies last year because they wanted Hunter Pence, just as they traded their best pitching proaspect for a few weeks of Carlos Beltran the year before. Pence turned out to have problems in right field in San Francisco and didn't hit much. The Giants, however, benefited from Scutaro going on a tear after he came to San Francisco, making up for the lack of production from Pence, who is under contract with the Giants for next year.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

I wish you would have paid attention to my argument instead of belittling me.


Why in the world would you care if Lip paid attention to your argument?
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 AM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,941
Default

What's the score?
__________________
Attendance Records

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:41 AM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I wish you would have paid attention to my argument instead of belittling me.
What good is a message board if one man can't belittle another? After all we men are becoming obsolete, so there has to be some place for that testosterone rage to go before we arrive at complete irrelevancy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,406
Default

Well, Schierholtz did have 21 RBIs in 114 games last year. That's only one less than Dewayne Wise had in 45 games with the Sox.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 6-8; Total: 124-98.
Next game: Sept. 27 vs. Kansas City

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,087
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Well, Schierholtz did have 21 RBIs in 114 games last year. That's only one less than Dewayne Wise had in 45 games with the Sox.
The Adam Dunn hatred has truly reached new heights when posters are arguing that we would be better off with Nate friggin' Schierholtz and a hobbled Carlos Quentin.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
The Adam Dunn hatred has truly reached new heights when posters are arguing that we would be better off with Nate friggin' Schierholtz and a hobbled Carlos Quentin.
The problem for the White Sox is that it such a strong argument.

I think today, a majority of White Sox fans would say the White Sox would be better off now and would have been better off the last two seasons without Adam Dunn and without the obligation of the Adam Dunn contract. It is the point I made before Dunn played a game with the Sox, and my alternative, adding a very strong right fielder and putting Quentin in as the most frequent DH is something I continue to be criticized for despite two seasons of overwhelming evidence that Adam Dunn is not someone a winning team needs or should want in its lineup.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
The Adam Dunn hatred has truly reached new heights when posters are arguing that we would be better off with Nate friggin' Schierholtz and a hobbled Carlos Quentin.
It is an easy argument to make: both of those players could have been easily unloaded. And have you forgotten Dunn's 2011 season? Even Schierholz would have been more effective at DH in 2011 than Dunn, just like every other hitter in the major leagues.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5116520.story

Start printing those World Series tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If only the Sox had gotten him first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lip
Your comments and your refusal to genuflect when you mention Theos is going to bring the wrath of the FOTE (Friends Of Theo Epstein) on you.
__________________

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I think today, a majority of White Sox fans would say the White Sox would be better off now and would have been better off the last two seasons without Adam Dunn and without the obligation of the Adam Dunn contract. It is the point I made before Dunn played a game with the Sox, and my alternative, adding a very strong right fielder and putting Quentin in as the most frequent DH is something I continue to be criticized for despite two seasons of overwhelming evidence that Adam Dunn is not someone a winning team needs or should want in its lineup.
I completely agree, and you and a few others on WSI were ahead of the curve and ahead of me. I was lukewarm on the Dunn signing. By now it should be painfully plain, but he hits homers, the stat thing, and maybe because a prophet has no honor at home, expect the criticism to continue. As for me, my teeth will grind and the stomach acids churn every time he comes up to the plate.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:29 PM
MISoxfan MISoxfan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 887
Default

The Adam Dunn that everyone argued about two seasons ago was the guy who put up a slash line of .250/.381/.521 over his career and .264/.378/.533 the previous two seasons. Nobody thought it was a good idea to sign a guy who would hit .184/.315/.385 over two seasons, and nobody argued that Dunn would put up those numbers. Anyone who thinks Adam Dunn wasn't a good player for the first 9 years of his career was wrong then, and they are still wrong today.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Bobby Thigpen Bobby Thigpen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: "Downstate" Illinois
Posts: 3,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
The Adam Dunn hatred has truly reached new heights when posters are arguing that we would be better off with Nate friggin' Schierholtz and a hobbled Carlos Quentin.
Keep in mind this is probably pushed along by the same people that said we should unload Konerko and start Brian Daubach or any number of other people that are out of the league.
__________________
"I told you I'd give my left nut to help this team." Paul Konerko
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 AM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Keep in mind this is probably pushed along by the same people that said we should unload Konerko and start Brian Daubach or any number of other people that are out of the league.
I seriously doubt that.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.