White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM
WSI Prelate

Default White Sox to Wear 1983 Uniforms for Sunday Home Games

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...tory?track=rss

Not much of a surprise here but now there is official word. Based on the comments I have seen on this board these uniforms might be the most polarizing uniforms in White Sox history. Personally I love them but my nostalgia is probably increased because there are pictures of me as an infant wearing this uniform...which is strange because when I was an infant the White Sox were no longer wearing this uniform.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I hope to be around in 2019, for the 60th anniversary, to see the uniforms I like.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...tory?track=rss

Not much of a surprise here but now there is official word. Based on the comments I have seen on this board these uniforms might be the most polarizing uniforms in White Sox history. Personally I love them but my nostalgia is probably increased because there are pictures of me as an infant wearing this uniform...which is strange because when I was an infant the White Sox were no longer wearing this uniform.
These were the most polarizing:

And then there were the shorts:
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

And then there were the shorts:
Not sure if these uniforms were truly "polarizing." Few people (other than Mary Frances Veeck) liked them!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Not sure if these uniforms were truly "polarizing." Few people liked them!
Outside of the shorts, I love em, particularly the hat which is perhaps my favorite Sox hat.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM
WSI Personality

I liked the 76-81 uniforms once they went to the white pants full time.

The 82-86 uniforms not so much. I thought they looked like a cereal box.

I'd be a little more impressed with this promotion if they wore the greys on the road on Sunday's too.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Ugh. Not a fan. Are we doing this every year now?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Not sure if these uniforms were truly "polarizing." Few people (other than Mary Frances Veeck) liked them!
I like the basic idea (color scheme, font, etc), they were really the first sort of "throwback" uniform, and even bringing back a 19th century element like the color worked in theory as they were debuted during the bicentennial. The execution, such as having the shirt untucked, left a lot to be desired. I have heard a few baseball players say that those uniforms were the most comfortable they ever wore. Even George Brett said they looked comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Ugh. Not a fan. Are we doing this every year now?
Unless they want to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1964 team I don't think they have any other big anniversaries to commemorate. They have commemorated the '64 team before though, but the road uniform was the best part of that set and they won't wear road throwbacks.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Official Professor

I think people who were kids in '83 like them, and some of the people for whom the uglier the throwback the better. However, at the time they were actually wearing these uniforms, I didn't know a single adult who liked them, ESPECIALLY the propeller-beanie home cap.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I think people who were kids in '83 like them, and some of the people for whom the uglier the throwback the better. However, at the time they were actually wearing these uniforms, I didn't know a single adult who liked them, ESPECIALLY the propeller-beanie home cap.
Well that design won a contest where fans voted so presumably there were a fair number of adults that liked that uniform at the time.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
The throwbacks are an improved design.

I didn't like them when I was a kid, but I like the throwbacks now. Changes to the material, belt, piping and cut make them more appealing IMO.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:38 PM
WSI Personality

I was a kid when they wore those uniforms and I had a hard time rooting for em because of those uniforms.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Well that design won a contest where fans voted so presumably there were a fair number of adults that liked that uniform at the time.
The choices were pretty bleak. I always thought these uniforms looked like spacesuits for some reason.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

I don't remember seeing the all blue road uniforms with the white cap too many times. Did they ditch that look after awhile?!

I like the throwback Sunday uniforms, however I think it would be cool if they completely honored the uniform and wore the road uniforms as well on Sundays. I would have loved to see the 1972 powder blue/red road uniforms last season! At the very least, I think the SOX/Cubs should try and coordinate throwback home/road uniforms for their inter-city series each season. Pick a historic Chicago event each season and then each team wears their uniforms from that year.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post

I don't remember seeing the all blue road uniforms with the white cap too many times. Did they ditch that look after awhile?!

I like the throwback Sunday uniforms, however I think it would be cool if they completely honored the uniform and wore the road uniforms as well on Sundays. I would have loved to see the 1972 powder blue/red road uniforms last season! At the very least, I think the SOX/Cubs should try and coordinate throwback home/road uniforms for their inter-city series each season. Pick a historic Chicago event each season and then each team wears their uniforms from that year.
I think they ditched the White caps after one road trip. The dirt showed too much.