White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Dayan hit homers off of Bruce Chen, Scott Diamond, Corey Kluber, Scott Maine, Chris Perez, and Vinne Pestano. NONE of them are rookies (though Kluber and Maine are gas cans). Bruce Chen was the best pitcher on the Royals last year (which isn't saying much) and consistently beat the White Sox, Scott Diamond had a 3.54 ERA, Chris Perez had a 3.57 ERA and 39 saves this year, and Pestano had a 2.57 ERA in 70 innings. That's not exactly AAA filler.
I have never seen an argument so thoroughly obliterated as the one munch was making on Viciedo. Nice job to all.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Please don't feed the trolls.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Why not? Can't beat fun at the 'ole ballpark!

Even if it has a retractable roof.

Many of us went to Sox games in the 70's knowing the team sucked. We didn't care, it was still fun and exciting to be at the ballpark.
Guilty as charged.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Why not? Can't beat fun at the 'ole ballpark!

Even if it has a retractable roof.

Many of us went to Sox games in the 70's knowing the team sucked. We didn't care, it was still fun and exciting to be at the ballpark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Guilty as charged.
I was also among the proud, the few.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
]

Also holds true for the 80s: other than a brief respite of contending in '82, '83 and part of '85.

We've come a long way, yet baseball is cyclical so you can be sure we'll be there again, hopefully not anytime soon...
Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I was also among the proud, the few.
In my office one of the older Sox fans and I talk about the "good old days" when you went to a Sox game and could stretch out your legs into the seat in front of you and your arms on either seat beside you.

Losing teams are great.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
In my office one of the older Sox fans and I talk about the "good old days" when you went to a Sox game and could stretch out your legs into the seat in front of you and your arms on either seat beside you.

Losing teams are great.
Actually, you could do that last year and the team was in first place most of the season.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I'm still in my 20s and you've been able to do that at Sox games for the majority of my life

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm still in my 20s and you've been able to do that at Sox games for the majority of my life
Ditto. In 1998 I went to tons of games and can remember basically being able to walk down to the first few rows behind the on deck circle and still stretch and put my feet up.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Guilty as charged.
Me too...go Bill Naharodney.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
WSI Personality

Default Trades

Now that Arizona has traded Upton to the Braves, does this mean they won't trade Jason Kubel to the White Sox? I still have hopes that the White Sox will acquire another left handed hitter. I'm also hoping Adam Dunn won't be on the 2013 White Sox.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Official Professor

Quote:

Losing teams are great.
I've been at games where we pretty much had our own private beer vendor! He just sorta hung around until we were ready for another.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM
WSI Guru

Well Robin yesterday said he and Hahn talked and Robin told him "don't spend money just to say that you did it..." Robin said he'd like another left handed hitter but if the Sox don't find one who'll fit in, he can get by without one.

At this point it doesn't matter to me what side the guy hits from. The Sox need another good hitter in that lineup, two would be better.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 01-24-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
At this point it doesn't matter to me what side the guy hits from. The Sox need another good hitter in that lineup, two would be better.

Lip
This is how I feel as well. The Sox should look to add one more solid bat to that lineup whether it is left handed or right handed. As Robin pointed out, both Paulie and Rios hit right handers very well so it isn't like our lineup is crippled against a righty. As constructed, I like this team probably more than a lot of people on this board because of the pitching staff. The Sox have a rock solid bullpen (on paper) and a deep rotation (again, on paper). Pitching is often the hardest hurdle for teams and I feel the Sox have a staff that can contend for the AL Central already in place.

It's the everyday lineup that scares me. Alexei showed signs of regression last year, AJ's high avg has been removed, Beckham disappears for weeks at a time, Paulie is coming off wrist surgery, and we don't know what we are going to get out of Flowers on an everyday basis. Getting consistent offense has been the issue the last few seasons and one more impact bat would really solidify things.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just thought that I would add this on Beckham: I think he'll improve because he showed improvement last year. Sure, the numbers do not show that, but that's because he had an atrocious April and a bad July...but it seems that after that he seemed to figure SOMETHING out, and by the last month of the season (albeit, after some of the pressure of getting into the playoffs was gone) he seemed to grow confidence. I KNOW that he changed his stance by holding his hands a bit higher, and ever since he started doing that he's shown improvement.

Of course he hasn't shown enough that he actually can sustain that improvement, but I'm not willing to throw him into the ditch yet. At the very worst he gives you an average-to-slightly-below-average 2B's bat, and plus defense. Out of a position that league-wide isn't really filled with All-Stars, I'll take that any day of the week.

As the old adage goes however, time will tell.

2014 PtC Score: 1