White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: 2014 World Series: Giants or Royals?
Kansas City Royals 45 76.27%
San Francisco Giants 14 23.73%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway
Default 2014 World Series: Giants or Royals?

Giants appearing in their 20th World Series in franchise history, most now for an NL team (had been tied with the Cardinals). 7 titles, 5 of which came in New York (last in 1954). Won the Series in 2010 (4-1 over Texas) and 2012 (4-0 over Detroit).

Royals appearing in their 3rd World Series in franchise history. Lost in 1980 (2-4 to Philadelphia), won in 1985 (4-3 over St. Louis).

Giants were 88-74, second in NL West to the Dodgers by 6 games. Beat Pittsburgh in the NL Wild Card game, won NLDS 3-1 over Washington and NLCS 4-1 over St. Louis.

Royals were 89-73, second in AL Central to the Tigers by 1 game. Beat Oakland in the AL Wild Card game, won ALDS 3-0 over the LA Angels and ALCS 4-0 over Baltimore.

Only the second time that two wild-card teams will meet in the Series (first was 2002 when the Angels and the Giants met). Winner will be the 7th wild card to win the Series since the addition of the wild card to the playoffs in 1995 (Marlins 1997, Diamondbacks 2001, Angels 2002, Marlins 2003, Red Sox 2004, Cardinals 2011).

EDIT: Royals swept the Giants in a 3-game series the teams played in KC August 8-10. Royals won 4-2, 5-0, and 7-4. Series happened amidst an 8-game winning streak for the Royals and a 6-game losing streak for the Giants.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Zakath; 10-19-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 PM
WSI Personality

Default Wild

MLB tried to make it harder for the wildcard teams to make the World Series with the one game wildcard matchup . Ooops, that didn't work. LOL

Royals have the magic mojo going but the Giants have been playing great in the postseason as well. Taking the experienced Giants over the overachieving, upstart, 'Konerko blessed' Royals. Sorry Lorde, sorry George Brett, sorry National Geographic.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:28 PM
WSI High Priest

KC. Bullpen.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 10-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
KC. Bullpen.
/close thread.

All hail The Rick
Old 10-17-2014, 12:06 AM
WSI High Priest

KC in 6.

SMO
Old 10-17-2014, 12:54 AM
WSI Regular

Royals in 6. The Giants have been very lucky so far in this playoffs being the beneficiary of errors, walks, and wild pitches. The Royals have the best defense and best bullpen, they won't receive a quarter of the help the Cards and Nationals gave them.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Heart says Royals, brain says Giants.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-17-2014, 07:35 AM
MMXXIII

ALCS was a sweep, NLCS lasted only 5, please for the love of god, be a good Series, that's all I want. 6 games minimum, please.

I think KC wins, though, that bullpen is incredible, they have enough SP, and their offense is built in a way that playing games in the DH-less NL won't significantly hurt them.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 AM
WSI High Priest

The Giants were the "2nd wild card" this year. They wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the pre-2012 playoff format. I'm not complaining, though. They earned their pennant by disposing of the Pirates, Nats, and Cardinals rather easily.

The Giants now are going for their 3rd WS in 5 years after enduring one of MLB's longest current championship droughts before 2010. Wow - good times for that franchise.

It should be a great series with two teams that have been on a roll through the playoffs meeting for the WS championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Giants appearing in their 20th World Series in franchise history, most now for an NL team (had been tied with the Cardinals). 7 titles, 5 of which came in New York (last in 1954). Won the Series in 2010 (4-1 over Texas) and 2012 (4-0 over Detroit).

Royals appearing in their 3rd World Series in franchise history. Lost in 1980 (2-4 to Philadelphia), won in 1985 (4-3 over St. Louis).

Giants were 88-74, second in NL West to the Dodgers by 6 games. Beat Pittsburgh in the NL Wild Card game, won NLDS 3-1 over Washington and NLCS 4-1 over St. Louis.

Royals were 89-73, second in AL Central to the Tigers by 1 game. Beat Oakland in the AL Wild Card game, won ALDS 3-0 over the LA Angels and ALCS 4-0 over Baltimore.

Only the second time that two wild-card teams will meet in the Series (first was 2002 when the Angels and the Giants met). Winner will be the 6th wild card to win the Series since the addition of the wild card to the playoffs in 1995 (Marlins 1997, Diamondbacks 2001, Angels 2002, Marlins 2003, Cardinals 2011).
When the Angels were the wild card team in 2002, they won 99 games. The Giants that year won 95. I wonder if this is the first time ever that two teams with less than 90 regular season wins have met in the World Series?

Old 10-17-2014, 11:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
The Giants were the "2nd wild card" this year. They wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the pre-2012 playoff format. I'm not complaining, though. They earned their pennant by disposing of the Pirates, Nats, and Cardinals rather easily.

The Giants now are going for their 3rd WS in 5 years after enduring one of MLB's longest current championship droughts before 2010. Wow - good times for that franchise.

It should be a great series with two teams that have been on a roll through the playoffs meeting for the WS championship.

When the Angels were the wild card team in 2002, they won 99 games. The Giants that year won 95. I wonder if this is the first time ever that two teams with less than 90 regular season wins have met in the World Series?
The Giants actually tied the Pirates. They still would be in it on the previous format as they won what would've been the tie breaker game.

This season proves as with most other sports, except for probably the NBA. Just get into the playoffs. All bets are off after that.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's been a long time since i was excited by the World Series, but this year i'm counting the hours till "playball" .. both teams never give an inch, and just find a way to win, so this should be very interesting .. ridin that K. C. juggernaut all the way .. Royals in seven..
Old 10-17-2014, 11:57 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Going back to 1914, it's the 2nd lowest winning % matchup in a World Series.

https://twitter.com/joe_block/status/522957463730262019
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:58 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Dont care who wins just so kc losses 2 games.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
ALCS was a sweep, NLCS lasted only 5, please for the love of god, be a good Series, that's all I want. 6 games minimum, please.

I think KC wins, though, that bullpen is incredible, they have enough SP, and their offense is built in a way that playing games in the DH-less NL won't significantly hurt them.
For a five-game series, the NLCS seemed extraordinarily close. The closest thing to an easy game was a 3-0 home loss by the Cardinals. Three of the games were walk-off wins, and the other Giants win was a close game decided by bad defense by the Cardinals first baseman. I thought the Cards were going to win last night's game, and it felt like the series could go to seven in St. Louis.

For that matter, the 2005 World Series, despite being a sweep, had a close first game, two extra-inning games and a 1-0 game decided late with the losing home team threatening to tie it in the ninth. The Royals' sweep was similar to that as far as the closeness of the individual games.

The last team to beat the Royals this year was Chicago's own White Sox, of course, in a game the Royals needed to win, not in the playing out the string sense. The White Sox won three out of four from the Giants while the Giants were battling with the Dodgers for the NL West. But I don't know that I've seen two teams come into the World Series seeming to have so much drive and determination to win.

There is no doubt that Bochy is a better manager than Yost. There is no doubt that the Royals have more speed than any NL team the Giants have faced. It should be fun, in a good way, watching Royals outfielders playing the huge right and center in AT&T. The Giants don't have a great offensive team, especially with Pagan being down. But they do such a great job of scoring runs when they need them, often without big hits.

One might look at the teams and say that they got hot at the right time, and maybe there is truth in that. But under Bochy, the Giants always get hot when they get into the postseason. The Giants have been a fun NL team to follow since I moved to NoCal. It remains to be seen if this is the beginning of a run for the Royals or just everything coming together for the Royals at the right time in a sport where there can be a fragile difference from being extremely good and sometimes good to mediocre.

Right now, these two teams seem to have elements working that effectively negate and defeat the teams they have faced this October. Maybe it would have been different if they had faced the Tigers and Dodgers in the champions series, going up against teams that had them figured out in September, but this shapes up to be about as good a World Series as you could get.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 PM
WSI Personality

I'd rather see the Giants win, I hate when these small market teams pop up and everyone starts yapping about how great it is when teams such as the Yankees or Redsox aren't in it.