White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Default Kyle Lohse can't buy an offer

Still unemployed.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned

Yankees (who are short a starter with Hughes now injured) have no interest in the right according to GM Brian Cashman.

Dodgers are in ST with 7 starters already and have no interest in Loshe.

The compensation is really killing this kid as it seems no one wants to give up the valuable 1st round draft pick. Aside from that, has definitely earned a payday over the last two seasons. I know he's not an ace and his stuff isn't overwhelming but these numbers would help any rotation.

2011: 14-8 3.38 ERA 188 innings 1.16 WHIP
2012: 16-3 2.86 ERA 211 innings 1.09 WHIP

Considering all of that I still would not want to give up our first round pick to bring him to Chicago.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM
WSI High Priest

I would give up the pick for him in a heart beat. He would give us such a legit 1-5, and would slide in nicely at the 4 moving Gavin to the 5. Add to the fact we are terrible at drafting and have had next to no success from our first rounders (atleast ones who did not go pretty much straight to the pros ala Sale), yah, give me a couple years of a top 3 SP vs. a prospect who likely will never make it.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
WSI High Priest

The biggest problem is not the draft pick, it is the contract. Sure his last 2 seasons were good, but he is 34 and was pretty awful especially in the AL before that. If you pay him based on the last 2 seasons, there is an excellent chance you will regret it. See Navarro, Jaime.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
The biggest problem is not the draft pick, it is the contract. Sure his last 2 seasons were good, but he is 34 and was pretty awful especially in the AL before that. If you pay him based on the last 2 seasons, there is an excellent chance you will regret it. See Navarro, Jaime.
Correct, like AJ in a way.

I think teams know that he is due for a drop-off.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
The MLB has had no shortage of teams throwing money at starters who have had a couple good years. There is several names you can throw in here, Carl Pavano, Ryan Dempster, Jeremy Guthrie, Jake Westbrook, Joel Pineiro, Jason Marquis, the list goes on...
Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
The MLB has had no shortage of teams throwing money at starters who have had a couple good years. There is several names you can throw in here, Carl Pavano, Ryan Dempster, Jeremy Guthrie, Jake Westbrook, Joel Pineiro, Jason Marquis, the list goes on...
How many of them are repped by Boras? We can only imagine what he is asking. If Lohse was willing to play for $5 million, he'd be in someone's camp tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
How many of them are repped by Boras? We can only imagine what he is asking. If Lohse was willing to play for $5 million, he'd be in someone's camp tomorrow.
What he's asking is not relevant. The name of the thread is "Kyle Loshe Can't Buy an Offer."
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
What he's asking is not relevant. The name of the thread is "Kyle Loshe Can't Buy an Offer."
Why isn't it relevant? The reason he is not getting offers is because what he is asking for. Boras has talked to teams. Lohse turned down one year $13 million from the Cardinals, the qualifying offer. So he obviously wants more than that.

Ther are teams that won't have to give up a first rounder to get him, and they aren't interested, and the Cardinals aren't busting done his door to make an offer. He is 34, injury prone, had many more poor seasons than great, and wants to be paid a lot of money for several years.

Last edited by dickallen15; 02-22-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I would give up the pick for him in a heart beat. He would give us such a legit 1-5, and would slide in nicely at the 4 moving Gavin to the 5. Add to the fact we are terrible at drafting and have had next to no success from our first rounders (atleast ones who did not go pretty much straight to the pros ala Sale), yah, give me a couple years of a top 3 SP vs. a prospect who likely will never make it.
The problem is not just losing the 1st round pick....you now lose the slot money allocated to that pick. It doesn't just affect the one pick, it affects the whole draft strategy now. You can't draft a player that will take less than the slot money allocated and then spread that out over some later picks....you lose the slot money all together. I'm just not willing to do that for Kyle Lohse who has been very good in the NL, but had his best year in a contract year at age 33. I'm sorry, but I'm not signing a 34 year old pitcher who just had his best year in baseball when we have some young kids that show some promise.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
The problem is not just losing the 1st round pick....you now lose the slot money allocated to that pick. It doesn't just affect the one pick, it affects the whole draft strategy now. You can't draft a player that will take less than the slot money allocated and then spread that out over some later picks....you lose the slot money all together. I'm just not willing to do that for Kyle Lohse who has been very good in the NL, but had his best year in a contract year at age 33. I'm sorry, but I'm not signing a 34 year old pitcher who just had his best year in baseball when we have some young kids that show some promise.
I agree with you mostly in terms of the money and draft strategy. That said, I think Loshe is still a major improvement over Floyd at the 4 and the kids at the 5. I have little faith in Quintana. Guys with his make up and skills generally don't continously have success in the bigs. Soft Tossing lefty that lacks great control or good movement on his pitches, just seems like with some tape on him this year, teams are going to light him up. I have more faith long term in Santiago honestly, just hope we can stretch him out.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I have little faith in Quintana. Guys with his make up and skills generally don't continously have success in the bigs.
I, too, think second-half Quintana is more the real thing, but I hope we're wrong.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

He can buy one by lowering his asking price. No way he ends up on the Sox, but he'll reduce and end up somewhere.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
He can buy one by lowering his asking price. No way he ends up on the Sox, but he'll reduce and end up somewhere.
He's got to be a bit nervous though. ST has started.

There may be an injury or two that helps his case conceivably, but I'd be sweating a bit if I were him if I was expecting a 3-4 year deal.