White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 04:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
We do.

The U.S. World Cup team is full of players who play overseas- but then play for the U.S. for the Cup.

Immigration FROM the U.S. to other countries is no where near the level of immigration to the U.S. from other countries- so I'm not sure how many 3rd generation Italians, Brazilians, etc. there are that have their original roots in the U.S.
There are players with strong US ties who have unfortunately chosen to play for other countries, as seen with Nevan Subotic or Giuseppe Rossi. But that's not quite the same thing. And FIFA rules are stricter than whatever rules there seem to be for the WBC.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I've been a big fan too, but they really need to do something about the rules for playing for a country. The "Italian" team is a joke as half that roster is American anyway.
I disagree. If you grow up in an Italian household, you can feel just as Italian as any other Italian anywhere else in the world.

I have an unorthodox proposal for the 2017 edition:

2 pools of 8. 1st pool is called the "World League", 2nd is the "Global League". All teams play 7 games. Top teams in each "league" wins its pennant. The 2 winners face off in a best of 3 WBC Series.

to any Dominican WSIers here. You guys brought a tremendous atmosphere last night.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Is Puerto Rico a state? Because if it isn't then they're not as closely tied to the US as Aruba, Cucacao, and Sint Maarten are to the KotN.
Puerto Rico is still considered a territory but in a recent non-binding referendum something like 61% of respondents said they wanted to become a state. What I want to know is IF Puerto Rico becomes a state, can they still field their own team for the WBC? Isn't that like having a New Jersey team?

Go Sox!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
I disagree. If you grow up in an Italian household, you can feel just as Italian as any other Italian anywhere else in the world.
Except that it doesn't work like that for the vast majority of other international competitions.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Bases are loaded with two outs for Puerto Rico, they could effectively end the US hopes' with a base hit here.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Andy ****ing Gonzalez hits a hanging 0-2 curve to drive in two more runs after the US walks in another one. Puerto Rico leads by 4, Torre's decision to pull Vogelsong backfires. Torre has looked pretty bad during this
Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Puerto Rico is still considered a territory but in a recent non-binding referendum something like 61% of respondents said they wanted to become a state. What I want to know is IF Puerto Rico becomes a state, can they still field their own team for the WBC? Isn't that like having a New Jersey team?
Sure they could. In soccer and in rugby for that matter, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales compete separately. In the Olympics, they compete as one. It just depends on the rules of the governing body. It seems MLB, or whomever oversees the WBC, has rather lax rules when it's comes which to nationality.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 PM
WSI Prelate

USA is out. Every move Torre made backfired horribly.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
USA is out. Every move Torre made backfired horribly.
How do you let Hosmer bat there in the eighth? Pathetic.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
How do you let Hosmer bat there in the eighth? Pathetic.
Why do you even pick Hosmer for the team?!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

In the long run the US continually losing might be what it takes to motivate the elite players into participating.

If seeing your country continually fail isn't motivation for you to get out there and help, then I don't know what to say.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 AM
WSI Guru

Amsteel:

I disagree. This is a made up tournament that means absolutely nothing. What the USA does or does not do is meaningless to what elite players play for...a chance to get to the World Series.

Lip
Old 03-16-2013, 12:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Amsteel:

I disagree. This is a made up tournament that means absolutely nothing. What the USA does or does not do is meaningless to what elite players play for...a chance to get to the World Series.

Lip
Ah, as opposed to those organic tournaments.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 03-16-2013, 01:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
In the long run the US continually losing might be what it takes to motivate the elite players into participating.

If seeing your country continually fail isn't motivation for you to get out there and help, then I don't know what to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Amsteel:

Lip
I agree with Lip, I just don't think American players really give a damn about this tournament and I think the managers of the American team have consistently treated it like an extension of spring training. I think it is a VERY big deal for almost everyone else though.

This tournament is a really good idea but it has some kinks that need to be worked out. I hope it does well and eventually reaches the point where the best players from each country WANT to play in this tournament and you can do away with that pitch count rule and maybe move it out of the middle of March when players aren't ready yet.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:48 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I agree with Lip, I just don't think American players really give a damn about this tournament and I think the managers of the American team have consistently treated it like an extension of spring training. I think it is a VERY big deal for almost everyone else though.

This tournament is a really good idea but it has some kinks that need to be worked out. I hope it does well and eventually reaches the point where the best players from each country WANT to play in this tournament and you can do away with that pitch count rule and maybe move it out of the middle of March when players aren't ready yet.
I think it's a great tournament and great for the future of baseball. Of course, there needs to be some tweaking. From a fan's perspective, the quality of baseball is exponentially better than Cactus or Grapefruit League baseball. You can tell from the faces of the players running in the outfield while spring grames are in progress that the exhibition games don't mean anything to the players.