White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI Guru

Default Petty and Gutless, Typical...

Kudos to JR for chastising the other owners over this.

Amazing...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...el-sources-say

Lip
Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
WSI Guru

Cheap JR strikes again!

Want to bet that the small-market owner mentioned is Loria?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM
WSI Personality

I'm thinking Kansas City. Aren't they owned by the Wal-mart family?

Last edited by chicagowhitesox1; 03-19-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I'm thinking Kansas City. Aren't they owned by the Walmart family?
David Glass is the former President & CEO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Glass_(businessman)
Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I'm thinking Kansas City. Aren't they owned by the Walmart family?
No, they're owned by David Glass, former CEO of Walmart, but not a member of the Walton family.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Could be Phil Crane, who heavily leveraged his sale of the Astros and when asked if the Astros could add to payroll, he said, “It doesn’t bother me that people want us to spend more money, But it’s not their money. This is a private company, even though it’s got a public flair to it. If they want to write a check for 10 million bucks, they can give me a call.”
Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

There is nothing wrong with abolishing the outdated pension plan if the owners offer individual 401k investment plans. Give the employee the money now and the choice where to invest. Pensions are a thing of the past for retirement investment, except for government based jobs, private unions and the teachers unions.

I have a feeling Jerry is doing pretty well managing the Sox pension plan and doesn't want to go to the individual 401 k for money reasons that he doesn't like.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
WSI Guru

Irish:

You're assuming the owners will offer that. Sounds like from the story some of these p***** don't even want to do that for their employees.

Lip
Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Well, this will eviscerate Theo's vaunted scouting staff as they run off to real jobs......

All hail The Rick
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Kudos for Jerry for chastising the other owners, given his loyalty I suspect he takes care of his scouts as well. Ironically, IF the owners vote to get rid of this plan but Jerry keeps the White Sox current plan in place it could wind up being very beneficial to the White Sox scouting department. It would make the White Sox are much more appealing team to be a scout for.

Go Sox!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Irish:

You're assuming the owners will offer that. Sounds like from the story some of these p***** don't even want to do that for their employees.

Lip
If the MLB owners don't offer 401k plans to compensate for the pension plan, then some people will leave that industry and some will stay and that's that. There is nothing written in the law that says that if you work for a professional sports team that you're entitled to a pension or 401k plan. If that's what the free market dictates then that's what that free market dictates. However there are plenty of jobs out there that pay better than the pro franchises and offer better benefits.

If someone is offered a full time job with no benefits, they do not have to take that job and they do not have to stick with that job.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 PM
WSI Guru

Trying to tread lightly here. All I'll say is there are millions of folks in this country having to work jobs with little to no benefits. I've been there.

The problem is in fact, many, I'd say the majority DON'T have the choices that you are assuming they have. ESPECIALLY in this country at this time with this screwed up economy.

I have no issues with any company or business making a profit, none...they take the risks, they are entitled to a reward.

But when the pursuit of profit overtakes basic human needs and dignity, there's something wrong. Dead wrong with that attitude. They are not entitled to a limitless profit.

NO sports franchise that I know of is losing money. What is a fact as shown in the book The Lords of the Realm is that MLB teams (and I suspect other pro sports teams) have been cooking the books for years. These are smart, very smart business people...they aren't going to hang on to a money loser...that's not their way.

They can afford to pay loyal employees a pension. Period. ESPECIALLY in a business that Proud to be Your Bud crows about being worth eight BILLION dollars.

Lip
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Businessmen be businessin'
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Trying to tread lightly here. All I'll say is there are millions of folks in this country having to work jobs with little to no benefits. I've been there.

The problem is in fact, many, I'd say the majority DON'T have the choices that you are assuming they have. ESPECIALLY in this country at this time with this screwed up economy.

I have no issues with any company or business making a profit, none...they take the risks, they are entitled to a reward.

But when the pursuit of profit overtakes basic human needs and dignity, there's something wrong. Dead wrong with that attitude. They are not entitled to a limitless profit.

NO sports franchise that I know of is losing money. What is a fact as shown in the book The Lords of the Realm is that MLB teams (and I suspect other pro sports teams) have been cooking the books for years. These are smart, very smart business people...they aren't going to hang on to a money loser...that's not their way.

They can afford to pay loyal employees a pension. Period. ESPECIALLY in a business that Proud to be Your Bud crows about being worth eight BILLION dollars.

Lip
Agree 100%, especially since it is quite obvious.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Lip
Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Agree 100%, especially since it is quite obvious.
Yeah, fantastic post.