White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Thoughts on MLB Uniforms...

While enjoying a few cold ones last night at a local sports pub, I was watching about 8 MLB games in progress. First, it was funny watching both Humber and Buehrle pitch for new teams.

The other thing I noticed ,and a few of us were talking about, were the new Houston Astros uniforms. I personally like their new uniforms and think they are 100% better than their last set while still honoring their past with the blue/orange color combo.

Anyway, with the Astros getting better uniforms and other teams recently improving theirs; i.e. Blue Jays, Mets and Orioles to name a few, I think we may be in the "Golden Era" of MLB uniforms.

With the exception of the Miami Marlins, all the other teams seem to have gotten it right, even though some teams like the Rays and Padres are pretty generic. At least for the time being.

I would still like to see the Brewers return to their Robin Yount era uniforms and the Angels to return to their Rod Carew era uniforms.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
While enjoying a few cold ones last night at a local sports pub, I was watching about 8 MLB games in progress. First, it was funny watching both Humber and Buehrle pitch for new teams.

The other thing I noticed ,and a few of us were talking about, were the new Houston Astros uniforms. I personally like their new uniforms and think they are 100% better than their last set while still honoring their past with the blue/orange color combo.

Anyway, with the Astros getting better uniforms and other teams recently improving theirs; i.e. Blue Jays, Mets and Orioles to name a few, I think we may be in the "Golden Era" of MLB uniforms.

With the exception of the Miami Marlins, all the other teams seem to have gotten it right, even though some teams like the Rays and Padres are pretty generic. At least for the time being.

I would still like to see the Brewers return to their Robin Yount era uniforms and the Angels to return to their Rod Carew era uniforms.
My thoughts:
I would add the Diamondbacks to the list of generic/uninteresting uniform sets. I liked their original uniform design (minus the goofy colors). They currently wear a black alternate with their original "A" logo, I think. That's my favorite one.
I also very much like the Cardinals' decision this year to go back to the all-red caps and helmets on the road as well as at home. A navy blue hat for a team called the Cardinals never made sense to me.
The Rangers need to stop the schizophrenic red/blue thing--pick one and go with it--preferably blue. Also, ditch the annoying name/number font. Same goes for Cincy, Milwaukee, and Seattle on their dark blue alternates.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
My thoughts:
I would add the Diamondbacks to the list of generic/uninteresting uniform sets. I liked their original uniform design (minus the goofy colors). They currently wear a black alternate with their original "A" logo, I think. That's my favorite one.
I also very much like the Cardinals' decision this year to go back to the all-red caps and helmets on the road as well as at home. A navy blue hat for a team called the Cardinals never made sense to me.
The Rangers need to stop the schizophrenic red/blue thing--pick one and go with it--preferably blue. Also, ditch the annoying name/number font. Same goes for Cincy, Milwaukee, and Seattle on their dark blue alternates.
I personally like the Rangers uniforms because both the blue and red represent the Texas state flag colors.

I like the older style of uniforms with the stirrups, however I think most teams have nicer uniform designs today. I'm happy that the alternate black jersey/cap craze appears to be over. Obviously, the look is good for the White Sox, but when the A's, Blue Jays, Royals, Mets among others all had black alternate jerseys, I knew they had jumped the shark.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI High Priest

The Rays uniforms are a bit generic, but I like them for some reason anyway. Arizona and San Diego are probably the worst right now. At least Miami's trying to do something.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I personally like the Rangers uniforms because both the blue and red represent the Texas state flag colors.

I like the older style of uniforms with the stirrups, however I think most teams have nicer uniform designs today. I'm happy that the alternate black jersey/cap craze appears to be over. Obviously, the look is good for the White Sox, but when the A's, Blue Jays, Royals, Mets among others all had black alternate jerseys, I knew they had jumped the shark.
Agreed. I was watching part of the Mets game this week and their home unis with the off-white combined with the royal blue are gorgeous.

And now that Toronto has gone back to being the BLUE Jays, I even bought a new cap.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree, though I like the red version of the uniforms better than the blue.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Banned

Here's the home version of the Rangers red uniform.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Uniforms have really improved over the last decade. The Orioles are probably the only other AL team I remotely like other than the White Sox and their uniforms and logo are fantastic.

Also, a bunch of teams dropped the stupid black they tried to force fit and it's made a world of difference (Royals, Blue Jays, Reds, Mets, etc.).

The GOOD:

The BAD/UGLY:

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Also, a bunch of teams dropped the stupid black they tried to force fit and it's made a world of difference (Royals, Blue Jays, Reds, Mets, etc.).
That's the biggest advancement in MLB uniforms in the last 10 years, IMO. Teams finally woke up and decided to dress like they were playing baseball again.