White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,180
Default Thoughts on MLB Uniforms...

While enjoying a few cold ones last night at a local sports pub, I was watching about 8 MLB games in progress. First, it was funny watching both Humber and Buehrle pitch for new teams.

The other thing I noticed ,and a few of us were talking about, were the new Houston Astros uniforms. I personally like their new uniforms and think they are 100% better than their last set while still honoring their past with the blue/orange color combo.

Anyway, with the Astros getting better uniforms and other teams recently improving theirs; i.e. Blue Jays, Mets and Orioles to name a few, I think we may be in the "Golden Era" of MLB uniforms.

With the exception of the Miami Marlins, all the other teams seem to have gotten it right, even though some teams like the Rays and Padres are pretty generic. At least for the time being.

I would still like to see the Brewers return to their Robin Yount era uniforms and the Angels to return to their Rod Carew era uniforms.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Whitesox029 Whitesox029 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, in enemy territory
Posts: 2,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
While enjoying a few cold ones last night at a local sports pub, I was watching about 8 MLB games in progress. First, it was funny watching both Humber and Buehrle pitch for new teams.

The other thing I noticed ,and a few of us were talking about, were the new Houston Astros uniforms. I personally like their new uniforms and think they are 100% better than their last set while still honoring their past with the blue/orange color combo.

Anyway, with the Astros getting better uniforms and other teams recently improving theirs; i.e. Blue Jays, Mets and Orioles to name a few, I think we may be in the "Golden Era" of MLB uniforms.

With the exception of the Miami Marlins, all the other teams seem to have gotten it right, even though some teams like the Rays and Padres are pretty generic. At least for the time being.

I would still like to see the Brewers return to their Robin Yount era uniforms and the Angels to return to their Rod Carew era uniforms.
My thoughts:
I would add the Diamondbacks to the list of generic/uninteresting uniform sets. I liked their original uniform design (minus the goofy colors). They currently wear a black alternate with their original "A" logo, I think. That's my favorite one.
I also very much like the Cardinals' decision this year to go back to the all-red caps and helmets on the road as well as at home. A navy blue hat for a team called the Cardinals never made sense to me.
The Rangers need to stop the schizophrenic red/blue thing--pick one and go with it--preferably blue. Also, ditch the annoying name/number font. Same goes for Cincy, Milwaukee, and Seattle on their dark blue alternates.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
My thoughts:
I would add the Diamondbacks to the list of generic/uninteresting uniform sets. I liked their original uniform design (minus the goofy colors). They currently wear a black alternate with their original "A" logo, I think. That's my favorite one.
I also very much like the Cardinals' decision this year to go back to the all-red caps and helmets on the road as well as at home. A navy blue hat for a team called the Cardinals never made sense to me.
The Rangers need to stop the schizophrenic red/blue thing--pick one and go with it--preferably blue. Also, ditch the annoying name/number font. Same goes for Cincy, Milwaukee, and Seattle on their dark blue alternates.
I personally like the Rangers uniforms because both the blue and red represent the Texas state flag colors.

I like the older style of uniforms with the stirrups, however I think most teams have nicer uniform designs today. I'm happy that the alternate black jersey/cap craze appears to be over. Obviously, the look is good for the White Sox, but when the A's, Blue Jays, Royals, Mets among others all had black alternate jerseys, I knew they had jumped the shark.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,970
Default

The Rays uniforms are a bit generic, but I like them for some reason anyway. Arizona and San Diego are probably the worst right now. At least Miami's trying to do something.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 PM
MeteorsSox4367 MeteorsSox4367 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In a Midway flight pattern
Posts: 3,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I personally like the Rangers uniforms because both the blue and red represent the Texas state flag colors.

I like the older style of uniforms with the stirrups, however I think most teams have nicer uniform designs today. I'm happy that the alternate black jersey/cap craze appears to be over. Obviously, the look is good for the White Sox, but when the A's, Blue Jays, Royals, Mets among others all had black alternate jerseys, I knew they had jumped the shark.
Agreed. I was watching part of the Mets game this week and their home unis with the off-white combined with the royal blue are gorgeous.

And now that Toronto has gone back to being the BLUE Jays, I even bought a new cap.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I personally like the Rangers uniforms because both the blue and red represent the Texas state flag colors.
I agree, though I like the red version of the uniforms better than the blue.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Here's the home version of the Rangers red uniform.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2013, 12:50 PM
skobabe8's Avatar
skobabe8 skobabe8 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 6,406
Default

Uniforms have really improved over the last decade. The Orioles are probably the only other AL team I remotely like other than the White Sox and their uniforms and logo are fantastic.

Also, a bunch of teams dropped the stupid black they tried to force fit and it's made a world of difference (Royals, Blue Jays, Reds, Mets, etc.).

The GOOD:





The BAD/UGLY:





__________________



www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,176
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Also, a bunch of teams dropped the stupid black they tried to force fit and it's made a world of difference (Royals, Blue Jays, Reds, Mets, etc.).
That's the biggest advancement in MLB uniforms in the last 10 years, IMO. Teams finally woke up and decided to dress like they were playing baseball again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.