White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM
WSI Regular

Had the same problem with Gate 5 on 4/6. No hats around 11:30. A friend of mine who went in a different gate at 11:55 said they had boxes and boxes.

On another note from 4/6, did anyone notice how quiet the fans were in the 9th inning. It was a one run game in the ninth with one out, and the place was dead silent. It was very strange.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I've always had good experiences at the ball park. You guys have to understand that the people working are typically dealing with drunk *******s and not getting tipped. It's a tough job and they're probably underpaid. Cut them some slack.
I honestly don't care what someone's wage is; if you're in the customer service industry, your job is to be kind and courteous. If you don't think you're getting paid enough to be kind and courteous, then get a different job. I get that everyone has bad days, but that should be the exception, not the rule.

I have sympathy for people who work ****ty jobs for ****ty pay; most of us, myself included, have had such jobs at some point in our lives. That said, if you can't or won't do the job, let someone else do it.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 PM
WSI Personality

I'm also one of the gate 5 after 11:30am victims on Saturday. I normally wouldnt care too much, but those bomber hats are awesome :/
Old 04-07-2013, 06:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Karkovice View Post
I'm also one of the gate 5 after 11:30am victims on Saturday. I normally wouldnt care too much, but those bomber hats are awesome :/
Go to the clubhouse sale in December, they'll be 10-15 dollars.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Okay, I'm mad. I just saw on TV that Julio Cruz and Rudy Law were at the game and signing autographs today. The appearances were not promoted anywhere to my knowledge. I'd have gone to the game if I would have known they'd be at the game. Why in the world wouldn't you promote their appearances? It reminds me of a game last year when Dick Allen and Rich Gossage had an autograph session before a throwback game, but it wasn't promoted. What's going on here? Do the Sox even have a public relations/marketing department?
Aren't those Sunday autograph sessions supposed to be for kids only? I know today's kids wouldn't have been born while these guys were playing, but I was told they were just for kids. I like collecting the '83 guys autos, but I hate being the creepy dude in a line with a bunch of eight year olds. I asked the Sox on Friday about it....

Brian,

Thanks for the message. I double-checked with our Guest Relations department, and they confirmed that the pre-game autograph sessions on Sundays are only for kids. You're welcome to stop by and see if they'll let you in line, but I think they're pretty strict on the policy of only allowing kids to get autographs. I wish I was able to help you out, but I hope you have a great time at the game regardless!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Aren't those Sunday autograph sessions supposed to be for kids only? I know today's kids wouldn't have been born while these guys were playing, but I was told they were just for kids. I like collecting the '83 guys autos, but I hate being the creepy dude in a line with a bunch of eight year olds. I asked the Sox on Friday about it....

Brian,

Thanks for the message. I double-checked with our Guest Relations department, and they confirmed that the pre-game autograph sessions on Sundays are only for kids. You're welcome to stop by and see if they'll let you in line, but I think they're pretty strict on the policy of only allowing kids to get autographs. I wish I was able to help you out, but I hope you have a great time at the game regardless!

Typical of the Sox to have '83 players back and only allow kids who have no clue who they are to get their autographs. Anyone should be allowed to get the players' autographs. The Sox have historically done a poor job of any autographs signings that they have. Both the Tigers and Royals have pre game autograph sessions on the concourse (Royals) or ramps (Tigers) that all fans have access to. A couple of years ago, I did the picnic in the park and had Christine O' Reilly scold us for getting in line for autographs immediately and not eating the food that was available. I was paying good money to get autographs not to eat hot dogs and chips, but she just didn't get it.

Last edited by Wedema; 04-07-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Cruz and Law were with Farmer Addison Reed and Nate Jones. The 83 guys were way off to the side by the scout seat net and nobody cared that adults were going down another aisle and getting their autographs. The current players they were more strict. I saw Kittle there too and he said LaRussa and Squires were around as well. I was more confused by the Sox refusal to tell you who was at each station when they clearly had a list printed out but wouldn't share. The usher finally told me a couple of them when I asked about specific players.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I really would be scared of a 40 year old plus person who is pissed off he didn't get Rudy Law's autograph. The wiring has to be faulty.
Here we go again criticizing people for collecting autographs. There are many sane adults out there that collect autographs as a hobby.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
That's fine, but to be upset teams would set it aside for kids is totally another thing. And if you collect autographs do you live by the rule you have had to seen them play? Not getting Rudy Law or Mike Squires autograph shouldn't be too big of a blow to anyone's life. Even autograph collectors.
Normally I'd agree with you, but when we're talking about non-famous players who retired 20 years before these kids were even born, I think it's a different situation.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 PM
WSI Regular

My big complaint is the bundling of fries with almost every food item. Now a chicken sandwich is $8.75! Oh, and what's with the new "Bull's BBQ"? I looked for it but all I found was the same shredded pork stand that has always been there.

I will say that I like the "Tailgating Secrets" demonstrations in left field before the game, the spinach artichoke mac and cheese today was delicious.

Last edited by mattcoz; 04-07-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I really would be scared of a 40 year old plus person who is pissed off he didn't get Rudy Law's autograph. The wiring has to be faulty.
From what I understand, Rudy Law is really tough to track down nowadays. Cruz is more accessible because he's still involved in baseball as an announcer for the Mariners. Law, though, you don't see very often.

So, anyone who wanted to get a ball or a bat signed, this would have been a nice opportunity.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoz View Post
My big complaint is the bundling of fries with almost every food item. Now a chicken sandwich is $8.75! Oh, and what's with the new "Bull's BBQ"? I looked for it but all I found was the same shredded pork stand that has always been there.
I haven't been to any games, so I don't know, but do you HAVE to get the fries? When I was in Milwaukee for the games last weekend, most of the items there were listed as baskets including fries, but you could order just the sandwich for like half the price.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
From what I understand, Rudy Law is really tough to track down nowadays. Cruz is more accessible because he's still involved in baseball as an announcer for the Mariners. Law, though, you don't see very often.

So, anyone who wanted to get a ball or a bat signed, this would have been a nice opportunity.

I got both Law and Cruz in '03 when they were back for the 20 year reunion so I didn't get mad and show my "faulty wiring".
Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I must have been to Miller Park on a bad day because I certainly didn't think the experience was anything that terrific, other than I guess being able to walk around the entire park even though I was in an Upper Deck seat. But it was still a hassle to park, the food was fine but nothing spectatular, and the park really isn't that great... Even with the roof open you feel like you're inside, which, I don't know, defeats the point of going to the park IMO. If I wanted to watch a game inside I'd just stay at home or go to a bar.
I went to one of the exhibitions at Miller Park this year. Our seats were so far back in the lower deck that we could only see 30% of the scoreboard and could hear the game on the radio on the concourse loudspeakers way too clearly. It felt like I was standing in line for a beer for the first two innings until we decided to move upstairs. Also paid $8 for a Polish, which seemed way more than you'd pay at Sox Park.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
That's fine, but to be upset teams would set it aside for kids is totally another thing. And if you collect autographs do you live by the rule you have had to seen them play? Not getting Rudy Law or Mike Squires autograph shouldn't be too big of a blow to anyone's life. Even autograph collectors.
So an autograph collector wouldn't want a Babe Ruth even if they didn't see him play?