White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I thought more of Harper as I remember hearing of Harper when he was maybe 15 or 16, same thing with Lebron. Hamilton was the #1 pick, but I don't think he was as widely known as a young teenager.
You may be right. I vaguely remember hearing Hamilton's name in 1997, but that's all I can recall before he was drafted.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

The problem is simple really. Fans got upset their star went to the rival. Instead of keeping quiet or thanking the fans or anything he went the complete opposite and took shots at the fans. They went from being upset he left to being insulted. Add in lots of alcohol and clear thinking isn't exactly the most likely result.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
The problem is simple really. Fans got upset their star went to the rival. Instead of keeping quiet or thanking the fans or anything he went the complete opposite and took shots at the fans. They went from being upset he left to being insulted. Add in lots of alcohol and clear thinking isn't exactly the most likely result.
I actually don't think he said anything inflammatory. Texas is not a baseball state. It's a football environment, and always has been. The Rangers will never approach the level of notoriety or popularity that the Cowboys have attained. Hamilton's comments may not have been well-received, but they were accurate.

Of course, I wonder if Hamilton took the time to consider that Los Angeles is a baseball city because of the Dodgers, not because of the Angels, who have always been Southern California's second team.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I actually don't think he said anything inflammatory. Texas is not a baseball state. It's a football environment, and always has been. The Rangers will never approach the level of notoriety or popularity that the Cowboys have attained. Hamilton's comments may not have been well-received, but they were accurate.

Of course, I wonder if Hamilton took the time to consider that Los Angeles is a baseball city because of the Dodgers, not because of the Angels, who have always been Southern California's second team.
Its just why even bring up the fans and agitate the situation?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
As I've said several times this week, I don't speculate on what I don't know about. Only Hamilton knows why he talked about the fans.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't think Hamilton is the sharpest tool in the shed.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I don't think Hamilton is the sharpest tool in the shed.
But he may be the biggest.

Edit: All of these guys seem to have attended the Terry Bevington School of Public Relations, presided over by President Phil Garner and Provost Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hamilton's whole deal is cute when he's playing well and reason to throw him to the wolves when he's playing poorly. Couple that with him absolutely no-showing at the end of last year and you've got a recipe for booing him.

The behavior with his wife is reprehensible, but what did he expect?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
The behavior with his wife is reprehensible, but what did he expect?
Who knows? She'd likely have encountered the same problems anywhere else, except perhaps for Miami, because no one wants to show up for eighty one days of the circus.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI Personality

I'm curious why anyone would believe Josh when he says the taunts and insults were so bad? It's his usual MO to make drama drama drama of everything.

I'm sure there was booing, but I wouldn't put it past Josh to overplay the whole deal. He's a tremendous jackass. So is his wife. He was the most popular guy in town and brought all the ill will upon himself.

Never understand why fans boo a former great player? They don't, unless that former great player is a jackass to media, fans, and the organization.

Edit: and his has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with leaving the team in the lurch because he quit chewing tobacco, because his sunglasses wouldn't let him hit, because he gave up caffeine, for throwing his 3B coach under the bus when he was injured on a close play at the plate, for selling his clean & sober story than getting photographed shirtless with women doing body shots off his chest on an annual basis, the list goes on. And on.

Last edited by Saracen; 04-06-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
Never understand why fans boo a former great player? They don't, unless that former great player is a jackass to media, fans, and the organization.
I remember Boston Red Sox fans booing Wade Boggs when he returned as a member of the New York Yankees (that may have been the reason in and of itself) in 1993. Granted, Boggs' final season in Boston was a joke (.259 batting average), but I don't remember him acting like an ass, aside from a dispute with Roger Clemens over the scoring of a grounder Boggs let slip under his glove while trying to backhand the ball.

Then again, they're Red Sox fans. The combination of arrogance and stupidity is a way of life for them.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
He was being roundly jeered last year in the playoffs, while still a member of the team.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
He was being roundly jeered last year in the playoffs, while still a member of the team.
The fans pretty much knew he was leaving thats part of why he got booed. Most of it was because he choked in the playoffs though.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Absolutely untrue. I've seen plenty of guys get booed on their return. Hell, Twins fans booed A.J. mercilessly, even though he was traded, and was a very good player while with the Twins. When I ask Twins fans why they boo A.J., they don't seem to know why.

Cleveland fans booed Thome. Need I say more?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Absolutely untrue. I've seen plenty of guys get booed on their return. Hell, Twins fans booed A.J. mercilessly, even though he was traded, and was a very good player while with the Twins. When I ask Twins fans why they boo A.J., they don't seem to know why.

Cleveland fans booed Thome. Need I say more?
(Some) Sox fans booed Frank Thomas, though only after giving him a standing ovation and once he hit the first of his 2 HRs that game.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.