White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Flowers certainly doesn't appear to be an OBP machine in the majors so far.
I'll wait until he has consistent AB's to judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I hope that most people are realizing not that Viciedo and Flowers won't hit for average or draw walks, but instead that players that don't hit for average or draw walks have no place in a major league lineup because they are black holes.
That still doesn't answer the question of who replaces them if they're sent back to Charlotte or traded. That's the problem.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
That still doesn't answer the question of who replaces them if they're sent back to Charlotte or traded. That's the problem.
That's a problem that could have been addressed in the off-season and wasn't. And the team said it would be fine and these guys were gonna be stars. And everyone bought it. That's the problem. No one is looking passed what the team says. And at the end of the year, when everyone looks back, the team will say they didn't expect this. And people will believe it. Because they bought in before. So the cycle of misinformation continues.

Meanwhile, there isn't another organization that would touch either of these guys. Not now, not before the season.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Our offense stinks but could be worse, check out the Rays stats at ESPN baseball.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/...pe/2/league/al
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM
WSI Personality

Default Adam Done

If Dunn continues to stink up the team the rest of the year, I just can't help but wonder. Will the White Sox eat the last year of his contract in 2014? Rather than just be subjected to another year of him, wouldn't it just be better to release him and try to go on to bigger and better things without him? I couldn't imagine any team trading for him and picking up his contract. If this continues the rest of the year, I could definitely see 2013 being the last year for Dunn in the major leagues. I remember when Dunn was with Washington and was going to be a free agent, the GM of Toronto was asked if the Blue Jays were interested in signing Dunn. He said he had absolutely no interest in him at all because amongst other things Dunn has not done one thing to improve himself as a player in all of the years he's been playing. The GM was forced to apologize after that hit the papers. But Toronto didn't try to sign Dunn, instead the White Sox did, unfortunately.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:31 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

I think the last 2 times Dunn scored, he got on via a walk and a HBP. Otherwise, pretty useless obviously.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
That's a problem that could have been addressed in the off-season and wasn't. And the team said it would be fine and these guys were gonna be stars. And everyone bought it. That's the problem. No one is looking passed what the team says. And at the end of the year, when everyone looks back, the team will say they didn't expect this. And people will believe it. Because they bought in before. So the cycle of misinformation continues.
I don't know of anyone who believes Viciedo or Flowers will be a star.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I don't know of anyone who believes Viciedo or Flowers will be a star.

There's a ton here, and the organization has said so publicly.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

There's a ton here, and the organization has said so publicly.
Well, I don't pay much attention to the Sox organization's press releases or interviews, as most of what they share with the public is meaningless fluff. Reinsdorf won't allow anyone to be candid: we learned that lesson after Hawk's umpire rant last season.

As for what I think, I don't believe that either Viciedo or Flowers is anything special, but I do think they deserve more time to figure things out at the Major League level. As bad as they've been, there are no capable replacements available, and as the Sox have invested more than thirteen million dollars in the Blank, it's better to try and get something out of that investment, rather than jettisoning Viciedo and eating the cost of his salary.