White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 01:38 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Yeah, it is too early to say that the Sox are fundamentally flawed. On the bright side, they have managed to go 6-8 even though: (a) they have not played well, (b) they have not hit well and (c) the starting pitching has been spotty. Their record could be a lot worse.

The Sox do need shoring up, though, and help may be on the way. John Danks' last rehab start went well and he may be in Chicago soon. I started this thread with the thought that the Dodgers may want to move Ted Lilly soon and the Sox may be a potential suitor.

Let me throw out another player who may soon be on the trade market: Brian McCann. Rookie catcher Evan Gattis has been terrific for the Braves. Gattis is playing every day and hitting clean up on a team that is 12-1. I can't imagine that the Braves want to take Gattis out of the lineup.

In the Braves' 6-3 win over K.C. tonight, lefty reliever Luis Avilan was carted off the field with hamstring injury. Lefty Jonny Venters has been on the DL with an elbow injury.

Could a Matt Thornton for Brian McCann deal be in the works?
McCann has to prove he's healthy before I'd even consider it.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman View Post
Any change has to include Floyd at this point. I have more confidence in Axelrod.
Axelrod fits his role right now as the #5 starter. The problem is is that Gavin, at this point, isn't a #3. If his curveball is working, he's a legitimate #3. If it's not, the rest of his stuff isn't good enough not to get hammered the third time, or occasionally the second time, through a lineup.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
WSI Personality

I would say Ventura's managing style probably works better when the team is winning and players are on autopilot. When things turn south his laid back style doesn't seem to be able to stop the bleeding.

Edit: This can be read as all one metaphor.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Given the uncertain status of John Danks and the inconsistent performance of Gavin Floyd, I think that they may need to do just that. Hector Santiago is a good internal option and perhaps the Sox could give him some starts and see how it goes.

Another possibility is Ted Lilly. The Dodgers and Lilly appear to be at a contentious impasse and perhaps the Dodgers are anxious to move him soon. Lilly has made two rehab starts and as was his right, Lilly initially refused to make a third. He recently changed his mind and will make another rehab start tomorrow. I do suspect that the Dodgers want to end this controversy and, to do that, they are going to have to deal him.

The situation reminds me of the Kevin Youkilis fiasco last year in Boston and perhaps the Sox may once again be the beneficiary of a team anxious to move an unhappy veteran who still has something left in the tank.
Please, no, don't trade what few young players we have for veteran stiffs. We need to leave that approach far, far behind. Our starting pitching has been good anyway.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
McCann has to prove he's healthy before I'd even consider it.
What if McCann is healthy and able to hit? Would you make that trade then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Please, no, don't trade what few young players we have for veteran stiffs. We need to leave that approach far, far behind. Our starting pitching has been good anyway.
I agree with this -- I wouldn't trade much to get Lilly. But don't forget, the Sox didn't trade much to get Youkilis last year, either. I think the Dodgers end up dealing Lilly for next to nothing. The question is whether the Sox should stay with what they have or bring in Lilly to create some depth and maybe make Gavin Floyd expendable, assuming that John Danks comes back soon.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Axelrod fits his role right now as the #5 starter. The problem is is that Gavin, at this point, isn't a #3. If his curveball is working, he's a legitimate #3. If it's not, the rest of his stuff isn't good enough not to get hammered the third time, or occasionally the second time, through a lineup.
His problem isn't his curve, it's his location on all of his pitches. He gets ahead of guys in the count, then he nibbles at the strike zone for strike three, but can never put the ball where he wants it to go, and ends up throwing a ton of pitches in the process. As a result of that, by the time a hitter's gotten to his third at bat, he's already seen everything Gavin has in his arsenal, and Gavin's likely gassed.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
What if McCann is healthy and able to hit? Would you make that trade then?

I agree with this -- I wouldn't trade much to get Lilly. But don't forget, the Sox didn't trade much to get Youkilis last year, either. I think the Dodgers end up dealing Lilly for next to nothing. The question is whether the Sox should stay with what they have or bring in Lilly to create some depth and maybe make Gavin Floyd expendable, assuming that John Danks comes back soon.
It was the one trade the Sox have made that I can remember when they gave up absolutely nothing on paper: an utterly replaceable veteran utility infielder, and a pitching "prospect" who had already proven he couldn't pitch in the majors.
Axe is a decent fifth starter.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Two weeks in and the Sox are fundamentally flawed in 2013 and it's Ventura's fault?

Got it.

Good post. It is way too early to judge anything about how this will all turn out but I'm guilty of doing just that. Its hard not to be increasingly skeptical after what we've seen the past couple of seasons.

On the other hand this coaching staff has worked hard 2 spring trainings in a row on fundamentals so this very likely could be an aberration.