White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Jordan Danks Returns!

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
The Blank gets a one night reprieve for his double.
Viciedo went three-for-four Monday night when the Sox actually hit Buehrle pretty well, although they only scored against him int the first. Every starter but Dunn and Flowers had at least one hit Monday. It would be nice to see Viciedo start to come around, but in Toronto, at least, the Sox have had one less black hole in the lineup.

I thought the Sox lost this one when Gillaspie not only didn't sacrifice the runners over but didn't get the lead unner to third with less than two out, especially with two strikes on Viciedo. Not getting the leadoff double over to third in the ninth with the score tied cost the Sox a game in Cleveland. Viciedo surprised me twice, first by running the count full after falling behind and then by driving a 3-2 pitch. It was quite an at bat with the game on the line and different from what I've been seeing from Viciedo coming into Toronto.

For all the complaining about the high number of April home games, it will be good to see this long April road trip come to an end.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:47 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Uhhh how about our previous one?
The previous manager didn't have a pulse, so, no, he would not have given Paulie the 3-0 green light.

Really, if the Sox could hit just a little bit more they could be competitive in the division. Their record is not good at 6-8, but it's not like they've been getting blown off the field. They had one absolute clunker in Cleveland, but they've been one hit away in several of the other losses.

Tonight, they got that one hit from Viciedo. Overall, Tank is not off to a good start, but he has won two games for the Sox with big hits in the late innings.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBandit View Post
I never minded Lillibridge. He's a decent defender and every once in a while surprises us with some power. Not a bad bench guy.
That was true a couple years ago. For whatever reason, he's not the same player anymore. He makes errors and strikes out a lot. I think he's done playing professional baseball.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
That was true a couple years ago. For whatever reason, he's not the same player anymore. He makes errors and strikes out a lot. I think he's done playing professional baseball.
That's pretty much the Lillibridge I always remembered.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Did anyone see the medallion that Ramirez wears tucked inside his jersey? You could see it on his diving catch. It's approximately the size of a pie plate.
I think it's his Olympic medal, the one that the Sox replaced since he had to leave the original in Cuba.

Kind of odd that he wears it for games, but whatever.

Nice win, good to see Tank produce in an unfavorable count.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Any manager with a pulse would have made that call.

Moving on...

Winning is better than losing, of course, but this was yet another game tough to watch largely because we looked clueless at the plate most of the time.

Did anyone see the medallion that Ramirez wears tucked inside his jersey? You could see it on his diving catch. It's approximately the size of a pie plate.
That's Alexei's Olympic gold medal from the 2004 Cuban baseball team. He lost it in 2007 and was given an authorized duplicate by the Sox last July. I don't think he's taken it off since.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I guess he'll get #20 back since Youk is gone and Keppinger now wears #7.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post

I wanted more pitching but after yesterday I realized this makes sense. Paul couldnt have been pinch run by anyone except Flowers yesterday.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Now in front of Smith Park at Grand and Campbell.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Viciedo went three-for-four Monday night when the Sox actually hit Buehrle pretty well, although they only scored against him int the first. Every starter but Dunn and Flowers had at least one hit Monday. It would be nice to see Viciedo start to come around, but in Toronto, at least, the Sox have had one less black hole in the lineup.

I thought the Sox lost this one when Gillaspie not only didn't sacrifice the runners over but didn't get the lead unner to third with less than two out, especially with two strikes on Viciedo. Not getting the leadoff double over to third in the ninth with the score tied cost the Sox a game in Cleveland. Viciedo surprised me twice, first by running the count full after falling behind and then by driving a 3-2 pitch. It was quite an at bat with the game on the line and different from what I've been seeing from Viciedo coming into Toronto.

For all the complaining about the high number of April home games, it will be good to see this long April road trip come to an end.
I like the fact that he was patient enough to read the breaking pitch and square up on it with the intent to put it in play, not necessarily to hit it out of the park. Like you said, very good AB by Viciedo, probably his best of the young season so far.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I wanted more pitching but after yesterday I realized this makes sense. Paul couldnt have been pinch run by anyone except Flowers yesterday.
It could be of use to have a pitcher that could run a little.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
It could be of use to have a pitcher that could run a little.
Oh I agree but I think those days have past us.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I thought the Sox lost this one when Gillaspie not only didn't sacrifice the runners over but didn't get the lead unner to third with less than two out, especially with two strikes on Viciedo.
I am not a bunt hater like some here, but bunting a guy who's currently hitting .400+ is absolutely the wrong call. I was glad that Robin just let Gillaspie swing away. It didn't work out, but it was the right management decision.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I am not a bunt hater like some here, but bunting a guy who's currently hitting .400+ is absolutely the wrong call. I was glad that Robin just let Gillaspie swing away. It didn't work out, but it was the right management decision.
I don't know- if Robin is going to bunt in close games- 1st and 2nd, no outs, 9th inning, tie game, would seem to be the situation for it.

Getting a runner to 3rd also starts to impact pitch selection to avoid wild pitch, etc.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."