White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

The bullpen has been reliable all year; but not this weekend. Aaron Hicks (whose average at the time was .048) got the hit in the 7th to tie the game. Having Rios run into a strike-em-out/throw-em-out double-play AT THIRD in the 4th inning was weird.

Things will get better. Hopefully very soon.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 PM
WSI Prelate

The bullpen gave up one hard hit ball...that's when Crain threw a softball as his first pitch to Willingham.
Lindstrom walked one, who scored because of the Sox lack of defense: passed ball and poor right side defensive range.
Yea, they shouldn't walk anyone, but things are so precarious now that we demand perfection from them, which isn't realistic.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Good to hang out at the game with tebman, son of tebman and JB98. Aside from that, and a decent game from Floyd, pretty much a boring, uneventlful loss. This offense is awful while the defense has mostly been awful. Besides his homer, Dunn continued to be completely worthless. When Lindstrom walked the leadoff guy in the 7th, it felt like it was going to be over from that point.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The bullpen gave up one hard hit ball...that's when Crain threw a softball as his first pitch to Willingham.
Lindstrom walked one, who scored because of the Sox lack of defense: passed ball and poor right side defensive range.
Yea, they shouldn't walk anyone, but things are so precarious now that we demand perfection from them, which isn't realistic.
The bullpen also walked two guys in that inning- the leadoff man and our supposed loogie walked his only batter, AGAIN.

Let's not forget their first run was forced in on a bases loaded walk.

I am not looking for perfection. But I would like to see team that at least makes the other team earn a victory.

These two games this weekend remind me of the worst games vs this team under OG. Just awful.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
****ing joke letting Dunn bat in the 9th, again.
It was amazing to see everyone get up and head for the exits in the 9th after Konerko popped out and Dunn was announced. Mass exodus.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 04-21-2013, 07:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Good to hang out at the game with tebman, son of tebman and JB98. Aside from that, and a decent game from Floyd, pretty much a boring, uneventlful loss. This offense is awful while the defense has mostly been awful. Besides his homer, Dunn continued to be completely worthless. When Lindstrom walked the leadoff guy in the 7th, it felt like it was going to be over from that point.
The single redeeming feature of being at this tedious game was enjoying good conversation and laughs with tstrike2000 and JB98. Fortunately, son-of-tebman kept me from doing anything rash as we saw the Sox sleepwalk through the game.

I don't know...maybe this team is better suited for lawn darts. That's something that might be a better match with their temperment.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
The single redeeming feature of being at this tedious game was enjoying good conversation and laughs with tstrike2000 and JB98. Fortunately, son-of-tebman kept me from doing anything rash as we saw the Sox sleepwalk through the game.

I don't know...maybe this team is better suited for lawn darts. That's something that might be a better match with their temperment.
Good to spend the afternoon at the ballpark with you guys, despite the uninspired performance by the home team.

One additional comment about the game that hasn't been mentioned yet: I'm a little bit concerned about Donnie Veal. Yeah, it's early, but left-handed hitters have a .500 OBP against him. His role on this team is to come in and get lefties out in tight situations. From our vantage point, it didn't seem like any of the four pitches he threw to Mauer were anywhere close.

Veal's inability to retire Mauer obviously extended the inning, and then Crain served up a first-pitch meatball to Willingham. I think we can all agree the game was over the second the ball left Willingham's bat. The way the Sox are playing right now, a three-run deficit in the seventh is insurmountable. Too many holes in that lineup.

This team really misses Beckham defensively, too.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Good to spend the afternoon at the ballpark with you guys, despite the uninspired performance by the home team.

One additional comment about the game that hasn't been mentioned yet: I'm a little bit concerned about Donnie Veal. Yeah, it's early, but left-handed hitters have a .500 OBP against him. His role on this team is to come in and get lefties out in tight situations. From our vantage point, it didn't seem like any of the four pitches he threw to Mauer were anywhere close.

Veal's inability to retire Mauer obviously extended the inning, and then Crain served up a first-pitch meatball to Willingham. I think we can all agree the game was over the second the ball left Willingham's bat. The way the Sox are playing right now, a three-run deficit in the seventh is insurmountable. Too many holes in that lineup.

This team really misses Beckham defensively, too.
I missed all of you! I was really bummed that I couldn't go to the game today, despite the outcome. Hopefully, you didn't have too much fun without me.
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm sorry I took my son away from the fundamentals deck to watch the 7th, 8th, and 9th. His hitting and fielding were much more entertaining. At least he got to run the bases afterward.

Watching Gavin implode in the 6th was no fun with a 4-pitch walk to Mauer and a 5-pitch walk to Morneau, but Lindstrom didn't have anything working at all. And Veal is having much more success this season against righties than lefties.

Leave it to Dunn to hit a meaningless homer after the battle was lost. I was surprised I didn't hear more boos for him, it's almost as if the fans are more embarrassed for him than anything.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Well, this weekend sucked.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Well, this weekend sucked.
Probably wanna keep that post in your pocket, might have to use it a lot this year.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
****ing joke letting Dunn bat in the 9th, again.
If he shouldn't be batting in the 9th, and I don't disagree, he certainly shouldn't be batting in the middle of the lineup either.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

#261 & #262 (out of 262) in WAR in the AL? Keppinger and Dunn.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 AM
MMXXIII

What is the all time record for combined losses for both the Sox and Cubs in a season? Because it has to be in serious jeopardy.

BTW, if I did my math right, they're currently on pace for 212.

Last edited by doublem23; 04-22-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
I think this is shaping up to be more like the beginning of 2009 where you know there are obvious holes, but they still get some things right.
I agree. This team will not bottom out like the 2007 bunch. I see the 2009 similarities a lot more. The '09 bunch had solid pitching but holes in the lineup as well as the defense. They struggled to hit most of the year with RISP, climbed themselves back into the division hunt during the summer, but never could get over the hump. They ultimately were sunk by a disaster road trip in early September and finished a few games under .500. This year's Sox team has hit about as poor as you can possibly hit. They are built around HRs and many of these are dying out at the warning track and getting knocked down by the wind. In the last four or five games, I've seen a bunch of Sox hitters take the ball deep to the track only to have the cold and wind knock it down. Things will improve on offense with the weather, but we need big turnarounds by Dunn and Keppinger as well as healthy returns of Beckham, Danks, and Tank if we are to have a shot.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin