White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kenny View Post
Teams are not paying high dollar/long term contracts for DH's. Once again the Sox are behind the learning curve.
Eh, they kind of are. The Angels have used Pujols as their DH in more than 1/2 their games already, the Tigers signed Prince Fielder to a deal that will run well past his serviceable playing days at 1B (and their current regular DH basically has the exact same contract as Adam Dunn)...

Dunn's problem is simply not doing anything of value right now.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

The 2013 White Sox: We're Really Much Better at Golf!
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Eh, they kind of are. The Angels have used Pujols as their DH in more than 1/2 their games already, the Tigers signed Prince Fielder to a deal that will run well past his serviceable playing days at 1B (and their current regular DH basically has the exact same contract as Adam Dunn)...

Dunn's problem is simply not doing anything of value right now.
True, however Dunn is not even close to the player that Pujols or Fielder. Also, Pujols is not playing 1b becuase he hurt his left foot.

The overall trend is for a lot of teams to use DH by commitee for roster flexability and to avoid the luxury tax.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
I'd hate to be a season ticket rep come August trying to convince all the new STHs to renew.
I sure won't be moving up from a pick 14 (if we buy anything at all). My son would rather play the game than watch the game. Watching so far, I'd rather play too.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
The first five months of the 2012 season was the aberration. This is the 2011 team. I really think Dunn is single handedly wrecking this franchise.
I agree. When he comes up, he sucks whatever life is in the crowd out of it. But, keep running him out there every day in the 4 or 5 hole. I know the team is short-handed, but at least TRY something different. Make it look like there's an effort. Move Gillaspie to the 2 hole. Bat Keppinger lower, bat Dunn lower. Yeah, it will be like the bottom of a national league team order, but what they're doing now isn't working either.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

I have to be honest here, it's damned hard fore even an optimist like me to feel much hope for the season right now. I know it's super early but man are they struggling bad. Half watching the game while mostly watching basketball last night I just kept expecting the toons to score late and win. When I looked away briefly only to look back and see that had actually happened, all I could do was shake my head.

I didn't expect the offense to be world beaters, but I didn't expect it to be this bad either.

Pitching looks championship caliber, but hard to win scoring less than 3 a game all the time...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
I agree. When he comes up, he sucks whatever life is in the crowd out of it. But, keep running him out there every day in the 4 or 5 hole. I know the team is short-handed, but at least TRY something different. Make it look like there's an effort. Move Gillaspie to the 2 hole. Bat Keppinger lower, bat Dunn lower. Yeah, it will be like the bottom of a national league team order, but what they're doing now isn't working either.
Does it really matter at this point? We have three regulars hitting over .242 and 4 players with more strikeouts than hits.

Either play Dunn or not, shuffling the order is going to do little, if anything.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Does it really matter at this point? We have three regulars hitting over .242 and 4 players with more strikeouts than hits.

Either play Dunn or not, shuffling the order is going to do little, if anything.
I'd rather bench his ass too, but at least moving him down lets the fans know our manager is awake.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
This team is really hard to watch right now.
+1

Yes they are. I have not been able to watch many games lately but read the newspaper and see that the Sox are playing poorly and losing games.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't know about you folks, but I'd rather watch the pitcher hit than Dunn. I can't believe that I'm kind of semi-seriously saying this, too.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Right now, we have absolutely no room for error. One part of the club doesn't function, and we lose. The starters have done their jobs very well, as we haven't surrendered more than 5 runs in the last 8 games (and that was only once). Take out Sale's disastrous start on Saturday the 13th, and it's 8 of 10 where the starters have had good-to-great starts (Floyd's start last Monday vs. Toronto was bad, but he didn't leave us in a position that we couldn't come back from).

Starters' performances over the last eight:
Tonight - 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K (Axelrod, ND in 3-2 loss to CLE)
Sunday - 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K (Floyd, ND in 5-3 loss to MIN)
Saturday - 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 9 K (Peavy, ND in 2-1 loss to MIN)
Thursday - 7 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (Sale, L in 3-1 loss to TOR)
Wednesday - 6.2 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K (Quintana, W in 7-0 win over TOR)
Tuesday - 6 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K (Axelrod, ND in 4-3 win over TOR)
Monday - 4.1 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K (Floyd, L in 4-3 loss to TOR)
Sunday - 7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 11 K (Peavy, W in 3-1 win over CLE)

The Friday before, Quintana went 7 innings with 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, and 7 K and ended up with a ND in a 1-0 loss.

Over those 9, the starter's combined ERA was 1.89. Even add in Sale's performance against Cleveland (4.1 IP, 8 H, 8 ER, 2 BB, 3 K) and it goes to 2.93.

Most any other club, with those performances, could have gone at least 7-3, if not 8-2 or even 9-1. We went 3-7. The offense doesn't produce enough to give us a comfortable lead, and then either the defense or the bullpen, or both, fails us.

It's already been a very long April.

I knew starters had been good, but that is really painful to see
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
The White Sox have gift-wrapped each of the last four games for their opposition. Walks, errors, bad baserunning, you name it. As a matter of fact, a throwing error has been a big play in three of these last four losses.

Much of the focus has been on the poor offense. Understandably so. But this team is awful defensively. Of the 12 losses, at least half of them have been gift-wrapped with poor defense.

I feel this club has beaten itself more in the first three weeks of this season than it did the first five months of last year.

The start of this season feels like an extension of last September.
Hawk said the exact same thing during last night's broadcast and he's right. The piss poor defense we've been seeing, especially as of late, is really uncharacteristic of the Sox team we've known over the last couple years. If your offense is still in its winter coma, the defense needs to be alert, but it's not, thus leading to all these gift-wrapped games given to the opposition.

As for Dunn, he's epic bad and is making his 2011 batting average of .158 look stellar compared to the .106 or whatever the hell it is he's batting now. At least he was taking walks two years ago. The only walks he's taking now are back to the bench as soon as he strikes out or grounds out to the right side of the infield. YUCK!!!!

Even with all that said, this is baseball and I love it too much to quit going to games. I'm excited to be heading down to the ballpark on Sunday. The weather is supposed to cooperate (sunny and 68) and I'm looking very forward to an afternoon at the ballpark.
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Time to bring back camp Cora!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
Hawk said the exact same thing during last night's broadcast and he's right. The piss poor defense we've been seeing, especially as of late, is really uncharacteristic of the Sox team we've known over the last couple years. If your offense is still in its winter coma, the defense needs to be alert, but it's not, thus leading to all these gift-wrapped games given to the opposition.

As for Dunn, he's epic bad and is making his 2011 batting average of .158 look stellar compared to the .106 or whatever the hell it is he's batting now. At least he was taking walks two years ago. The only walks he's taking now are back to the bench as soon as he strikes out or grounds out to the right side of the infield. YUCK!!!!

Even with all that said, this is baseball and I love it too much to quit going to games. I'm excited to be heading down to the ballpark on Sunday. The weather is supposed to cooperate (sunny and 68) and I'm looking very forward to an afternoon at the ballpark.
And it's been documented that he is now swinging at around 48% of first pitches. Here is the article on Fangraphs that's worth a look: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/adam-...ed-experiment/

I also love going to games and so does my son so we plan on going to most of the Sunday Family days!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I think Konerko could get you a busted prospect in need of a change of scenery. Plenty of teams have those guys lying around.
Wasn't that how the Sox got Konerko in the first place? Do it now! Also Peavy, Rios, Ramirez, Viciedo, and Dunn for decent prospects. Maybe even Chris Sale if the return is right. He will probably be over the hill by the time the Sox contend again. In Dunn's case you have to include his salary and settle for a mediocre reliever facing complete shoulder replacement -- and pay for the surgery.

I am sure Dunn is not a clubhouse cancer, but he certainly is a benign disfiguring tumor, and the sooner it is cut out the better.