White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Shingo:

Even more frustrating is that those type guys (throw Swisher in as well) always seem to actually play well when they leave the Sox, yet suck when they are with them.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Dunn with another team in two years and 'suddenly' start hitting .240 again with 30 home runs and 90 RBI's.

Typical.

Lip
I have the feeling that team may be in Japan.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Three of their walks came around to score. That's the difference in today's game.
Keppinger's play at second in the 5th played a big role as well.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM
WSI Personality

Default Question

Why in the world did the White Sox intentionally walk Chris Getz in the 10th inning? This has to be the low point in Robin Venturas decision making as a White Sox manager.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 PM
WSI Guru

Everybody knows I hate walks, but in today's case, it was *who* we walked that really bothered me. In both the eighth and ninth innings, we walked the No. 8 and No. 9 hitters back-to-back. Getz and Kottaras? Neither of these two players is a good hitter. They are batting .229 and .222, respectively.

That allowed the lineup to turn over, and it put the Sox in a position where Gordon, Escobar or Butler could hurt them. Butler hurt them in the ninth. Gordon hurt them in the 10th.

You have to make bums like Getz and Kottaras hit their way on. Sox relievers refused to do so. Or in the one case, the bench was inexplicably fearful of Getz and ordered an intentional walk.

That's just bad baseball. It's embarrassing.

Who is more likely to beat you? Getz or Kottaras? Or Butler and Gordon? I think there's an easy answer to that question. So why the hell are we walking Getz and Kottaras?

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

Who is more likely to beat you? Getz or Kottaras? Or Butler and Gordon? I think there's an easy answer to that question. So why the hell are we walking Getz and Kottaras?
I assume the answer is to set up a force. But that makes no sense either, as if he gets on from an infield hit because we couldn't make an easy throw for a force, we're in the exact same spot as if we had intentionally walked him. So that doesn't make any sense either.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Who is a worse defensive second baseman Keppinger or Lillibridge? Lillibridge was horrible at 2B. Keppinger is pretty bad too.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:49 PM
WSI Guru

Sox have now lost 13 of the last 17 games in Kansas City.

Starting to look like another Oakland in the early 00's and then Minnesota from say 03 through the end of the Metrodome.

Lip
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Who is a worse defensive second baseman Keppinger or Lillibridge? Lillibridge was horrible at 2B. Keppinger is pretty bad too.
Every time I see Lillibridge's name, I think of that poor child whose parents videotaped him crying about the trade with Boston. I also find myself thinking about a former poster who insisted on calling him "the elf," for reasons I don't even begin to understand.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

We all knew they were gonna lose 2 in KC. Too bad they only played 2.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 PM
WSI Guru

They play again tomorrow, the make up game from Friday night.

Asked Gonzo if Robin said anything about why they walked Getz. Gonzo replied that Robin said, "you got to pick one of them (left handed hitters)." He said without saying it that facing Kottaras was the better option."

I'm assuming part of the decision making process was because the Sox only had one left handed relief pitcher on the roster now with Thornton.

Lip
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Was that a poor effort by Rios, or an injured effort by Rios?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
What do you expect him to do? Dive for it?
I thought Rios just didn't read the ball off the bat. It seemed he hesitated for a second, just long enough to make it impossible to catch. Damn bad time for a bad read, that's for sure.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI High Priest

The only good thing about days like this is the fact that it puts this roster closer to the enema it needs.

Dump salary. Get prospects. Let the veterans waste payroll somewhere else on a team that can get that last little bit of production and motivation out of them.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurr View Post
Get prospects.
Thats not going to be so easy. Rios may get you some, will Thornton, Crain? Forget Floyd, Peavy now maybe not much. Ramirez salary may negate the type of prospect you can get. Paul if he wants out wont get the Sox much. There isnt anyone else. Its easy to say get prospects but a heck of a lot harder to actually be able to do it.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:11 PM
WSI Guru

What I'll be curious when all is said and done to this season, if it continues to head south is this...does the organization honestly feel the injuries derailed what could have been a winning group or do they feel it's time for a rebuild and a change in some philosophies.

I have no idea how they would look at things. Injuries in fact are crippling this club but even if everyone stayed healthy would they be able to 'contend?' Guess that depends on your definition of contending doesn't it?

Tough question but one that at least has to be asked by the front office.

Lip
Old 05-05-2013, 10:11 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Thats not going to be so easy. Rios may get you some, will Thornton, Crain? Forget Floyd, Peavy now maybe not much. Ramirez salary may negate the type of prospect you can get. Paul if he wants out wont get the Sox much. There isnt anyone else. Its easy to say get prospects but a heck of a lot harder to actually be able to do it.
Especially with this organization no?

Lip