White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 12:14 AM
WSI Guru

Default Robin Threatens Changes...

Quote of the Day:

"Eventually you get to that point where you don't pay attention to what's going on, we'll find somebody else to do it." --Robin to Mark Gonzales.

While I appreciate Robin's thoughts (it's about damn time...) the reality is, if he decides to make 'changes' who in the hell is he going replace these guys with?

Replacing a stiff with another stiff doesn't change the equation does it?

We'll see what happens.

Lip
Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 AM
WSI High Priest

I hate to use this overused analogy, but wouldn't any changes be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

I am not impressed with this. Real changes should have come two years ago starting with an experienced manager.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I am not impressed with this. Real changes should have come two years ago starting with an experienced manager.
Had that happened two years ago, let me predict what your post would have been today- "They shouldn't have hired some retread manager. They should have hired someone with fresh ideas."
Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Had that happened two years ago, let me predict what your post would have been today- "They shouldn't have hired some retread manager. They should have hired someone with fresh ideas."
Exactly.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Psh, everyone knows hindsight provides the best predictive analysis!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

I just don't want to see Dunn anymore, though he is good for potty breaks and beer breaks I guess.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

A number fans on this and other sites were leery of hiring the inexperienced Ventura.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm really irritated at Robin's comments about guys wanting to get out of slumps by "hitting and not walking".

Manto's over-aggressive swing-first philosophy just doesn't work and/or the opposing pitchers have figured out how to get ahead in counts swinging the AB in their favor.

We seem to have a group of ridiculously impatient hitters, but when the coaching staff preaches that as well, it doesn't help.

Maybe these guys should take a pitch every once in a while, they may get better pitches to hit.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
A number fans on this and other sites were leery of hiring the inexperienced Ventura.
The same fans who have less experience than Ventura, yet seem to know every perfect move.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 AM
WSI Personality

I don't think the manager makes a difference. The weak roster, offensively, limits most "fresh ideas" or stale ones any manager would have. Now if you want to play 6 infielders or let the pitchers bat, those may be still fresh ideas Robin can try. How about letting Reed pitch the first inning, then use a few set-up men in the 2nd and third then bring in the starter for 4-9? Another fresh idea that even this roster could accomodate
Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
A number of fans on this site and others wanted the Sox to trade Paul Konerko and make Brian Daubach the starting first baseman. Your point?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
And...? Does anyone seriously think a different manager would've been able to correct this mess?

Most of the pitching aside, the MLB roster is atrocious (and don't even get me started on our prospects). Heck, even with the pitching, I tend to think that there's only a handful of guys on this roster that other teams would be interested in having at the price we're paying.

As for Robin making these comments, he probably deserves some criticism for this. What changes can he make? With the exception of sending Dunn off with a one-way ticket to anywhere-but-here, what can he do?

Oh, and as for the prospects I mentioned let's look at the offensive guys from our Top 10 - according to BP - and Jared Mitchell as a fun toss-in...
1.OF Courtney Hawkins (A+) .177/.247/.456 45 Ks
2.OF Trayce Thompson (AA) .227/.352/.386 35 Ks
3.IF Carlos Sanchez (AAA) .215/.297/.262 21 Ks
7.CF Keenyn Walker (AA) .195/.323/.256 45 Ks
10. 1B Keon Barnum (Rk) .279/.347/.512 13 Ks
OF Jared Mitchell (AAA/AA) .149/.318/.224 31 Ks

Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't blame Robin- this roster and our overall org talent level cannot withstand losing 2 starting pitchers (Danks & Floyd), a starting 2nd baseman (Beckam) and starting LF (Viciedo).

Especially the position players- the fact that those injuries lead us to retread/AAAA players like Wise, Greene and Wells is a complete indictment of the KW Era (especially 2007-2012)- zero help at AA/AAA- so Hahn has to go to the scrap heap for reinforcements.

Add the worst DH in major league history (Dunn) and an overrated catching prospect (Flowers)- more KW moves- and this is one warm pile of crap of a team- 99% of this is at KW's doorstep.

It will take years for Hahn to turn this around-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

My problem with Robin is he has a boring dull personality. He was hired because he was the exact opposite of Ozzie and now the team has taken on Robin's personality which is boring and plodding.

That still doesn't address Konerko's age, Adam Dunn, Jeff Keppinger, a bunch of injuries and the total mess Kenny Williams created and will create by getting kicked up stairs, but you can't fire the players but you can fire the coach.