White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
What a debacle. Very little went well tonight, other than Omogrosso's two scoreless innings.

We've seen more than enough of Flowers, DeAza and Jones.

Go Hawks.
30,000 is a damn good crowd.
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
Yeah, but he's not this good . Every pitcher the Sox face is a potential 20 game winner according to Stone and Hawk. Every pitcher the Sox face also has unhittable stuff seemingly. The schmoozing the opposing pitcher act is getting old. The truth is the Sox have a very average to bad offense.
Not average, just bad. Only 5 teams in baseball average fewer runs/game.

Quote:
Hopefully Beckham will relegate Keppinger to super-sub duty.

Next, Phegley needs to replace Flowers.

Finally, I'd give Jordan Danks a shot as the starting CF, and park DeAza on the bench, and DFA Wise. Danks may not hit better, but we know he will field better, and he might hit better.
I doubt Phegley, Beckham, or Danks are long-term answers. I won't be upset to see them play, but I don't think those are the right answers, either. Just blow up the team and get real talent back for Peavy, Rios, Thornton, & whomever else (too bad Konerko is off to a terrible start).
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
WSI Church Elder

Knew a let down was coming after the sweep and recent good play. Hate losing to the Cubs, man.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Finally, I'd give Jordan Danks a shot as the starting CF, and park DeAza on the bench, and DFA Wise. Danks may not hit better, but we know he will field better, and he might hit better.
De Aza is not the kind of hitter you want leading off, strikes out all the time, bad on base percentage . His occasional power does even come close to making up for this. And once again, like clockwork, Ramirez has his head somewhere else and forgets to cover second base. He has to be the king of mental errors .
Old 05-27-2013, 09:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
30,000 is a damn good crowd.
Meh. It's a national holiday.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
WSI Prelate

Twice as many strikeouts as baserunners. They should be ashamed.
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
If we had an average offense we would be in first place or very close to it.
But giving up 7 runs will rarely turn out positive.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Bears 7 - Cardinals 0

More games against the Marlins, plz.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I doubt Phegley, Beckham, or Danks are long-term answers. I won't be upset to see them play, but I don't think those are the right answers, either. Just blow up the team and get real talent back for Peavy, Rios, Thornton, & whomever else (too bad Konerko is off to a terrible start).
I'm not saying those three are good long-term answers, but I think they are better answers than what we have now. Also, while a complete rebuild might ultimately be necessary, contending teams are not yet in the market to pay top prices for our "available" talent, so we might as well try rolling the dice with our wild cards for the time being.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I agree with all of this. De Aza had a solid year last year - 100 times better than any year Wise has ever had. But he's been pretty bad this year. Give Danks a shot - he's not a proven utter failure.
WSI Guru

Quote:
I'm not saying those three are good long-term answers, but I think they are better answers than what we have now. Also, while a complete rebuild might ultimately be necessary, contending teams are not yet in the market to pay top prices for our "available" talent, so we might as well try rolling the dice with our wild cards for the time being.
If not now, then in a month or so when teams are ready to play. Until then, I only hope to see Beckham back (despite my previous statements of not being a big fan of his) and don't care all that much which AAAA/mediocre guy starts elsewhere. Although I will be interested to see how Viciedo and Gillespie do, as the latter seems a decent piece and the former looks a bit better this season than he has in the past.
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Exactly, Phegly might not hit much better than Flowers either but you know what? By default he almost has to be a better defender. Put the best defensive team out there, that means De Aza and Flowers sit. Flowers should never have been a starting catcher to begin with.
By virtue of being able to walk to home plate he should do better than Flowers. I really thought Flowers was looking pretty good at the end of last year with the power stroke but it's obvious other teams are now exploiting that huge loop hole in his swing. He's pretty much useless sad to say. I agree with you ,bring Phegley up, let's not act like we have something to lose.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Had a bad feeling abut this game because Samardzija is good. But we have to face up to the fact that this is a bad offensive team. We are a third into the season and there are no signs of a turn around.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
If not now, then in a month or so when teams are ready to play. Until then, I only hope to see Beckham back (despite my previous statements of not being a big fan of his) and don't care all that much which AAAA/mediocre guy starts elsewhere. Although I will be interested to see how Viciedo and Gillespie do, as the latter seems a decent piece and the former looks a bit better this season than he has in the past.
What if we're still at .500 and five games back of Detroit on July 1? Should we white flag it? Not saying it's a bad idea, but the media backlash would be horrific. Also, I don't deal Peavy unless we get some prime, MLB-ready talent in return.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
What if we're still at .500 and five games back of Detroit on July 1? Should we white flag it? Not saying it's a bad idea, but the media backlash would be horrific. Also, I don't deal Peavy unless we get some prime, MLB-ready talent in return.
With the team-friendly contract he's on and the way he's performing, I certainly hope to get a haul back for Peavy. But we also don't have any other great trading chips besides him (except maybe Rios).