White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
These games used to sell out so fast you couldn't get a ticket.
They also used to be worth watching

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
And for Adam Dunn to hit consistently. And to hope Beckham hits when he returns. And hope Alexei can find some of the power he used to have. And to hope Konerko can re-find his hitting stroke.
But trading Peavy solves exactly none of those problems, and weakens the rotation. I'm OK with trading any position player, even if its just for salary relief. But weakening the rotation solves nothing.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 PM
WSI Personality

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I just disagree with the thought that we need to tear down and rebuild.

We have an elite starting rotation, with depth and more on the way.

We have a young, talented closer.

Simply having those holes filled means we are not far away from competing with Detroit.

We need position player help, certainly. But with contracts coming off the books, we can reload through free agency and some smart trades. For instance, Paulie's money can be reinvested to upgrade several positions. I'm OK trading Rios if that money can upgrade several positions.

I'm OK with trading any position player, but I keep the pitching intact.
I agree with you 100%.I still think this team can compete. Would like to see the Sox make a move at CF and catcher.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
But trading Peavy solves exactly none of those problems, and weakens the rotation. I'm OK with trading any position player, even if its just for salary relief. But weakening the rotation solves nothing.
I just see the offense as such a wreck, especially with no help down on the farm, as to preclude this team from becoming a contender. I don't see how the Sox can upgrade CF, C, 2B, 1B, SS and DH in order to truly compete with the Tigers and/or for a wild card spot. I'd rather just trade the pieces we do have in order to compete in the long-term. For too long the Sox have sought stopgap solutions, and I think that's why we've been mediocre for so many years now.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM
WSI Guru

Embarrassing performance tonight against a garbage team.

As others have said, you kind of saw this coming. The Sox didn't exactly light up the Marlins and their minor league pitching staff did they?

I agree...I've seen more than enough of Flowers and DeAza thank you.

Nate Jones, I had high hopes for... but something is drastically wrong and he needs to be shipped out pronto.

Hope Sale has better luck tomorrow.

At least the Hawks won.

Lip
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I just see the offense as such a wreck, especially with no help down on the farm, as to preclude this team from becoming a contender. I don't see how the Sox can upgrade CF, C, 2B, 1B, SS and DH in order to truly compete with the Tigers and/or for a wild card spot. I'd rather just trade the pieces we do have in order to compete in the long-term. For too long the Sox have sought stopgap solutions, and I think that's why we've been mediocre for so many years now.
I understand your argument and don't necessarily disagree with your diagnosis.

The real problem has been our inability to draft and develop position players into quality MLB players.

I don't think SS and 2B necessarily need upgrades to compete with Detroit, provided that CF, C, 1B and DH are improved. One good swim through free agency with money to spend from PK's and Floyd's expiring deals should be enough if Hahn is smart about it.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

A positive is that Dunn only struck out 2x today.

This team down right blows. They are slow, can't field, run or hit. Besides that they are ok. There is nothing in the minors (except possibly Phegley if called up he will probably stink too). The Sox scouts suck at their job. There is no hope for years to come. Yes, i am serious.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I don't think SS and 2B necessarily need upgrades to compete with Detroit, provided that CF, C, 1B and DH are improved. One good swim through free agency with money to spend from PK's and Floyd's expiring deals should be enough if Hahn is smart about it.
Haven't looked at the list of potential FA this off-season, I take it
Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

The real problem has been our inability to draft and develop position players into quality MLB players.

That's true, the Sox should have some money to spend in free agency next offseason, though I don't know who the free agents will be. Only $76 million in salaries for 2014 right now (not including a few arb guys, but no one there is likely to make much). And only $36 million right now for 2015 (Danks, Sale are the only long-term deal on the books).
Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Haven't looked at the list of potential FA this off-season, I take it
Not good?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Not good?
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...ents-for-2014/
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

You forgot 3rd. I don't think we can assume 3rd is all set yet w Gillaspie. If he is still hitting .300 in July then that can be put in the SS / 2B category
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Let's see how things shake out after they see Sale, Danks, and Peavy. This was the one I expected to lose to them with Samardzija pitching.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Robinson Cano should have one excited agent.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It won't solve the problems this year. But trading him will yield a good bounty of players (and if it doesn't, don't trade him). He'd be the hottest pitcher on the market. We have 2 months to see if we have a chance this year.
But there's nothing on the horizon, no quick fixes to this offense when we have so many below average hitters.