White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Robinson Cano should have one excited agent.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I just see the offense as such a wreck, especially with no help down on the farm, as to preclude this team from becoming a contender. I don't see how the Sox can upgrade CF, C, 2B, 1B, SS and DH in order to truly compete with the Tigers and/or for a wild card spot. I'd rather just trade the pieces we do have in order to compete in the long-term. For too long the Sox have sought stopgap solutions, and I think that's why we've been mediocre for so many years now.
Yep. This is clearly a down year. There will be some pieces traded off at the deadline which can hopefully add to a young core for the next contending White Sox team. Peavy should being back a haul if he keeps performing like this. They will also be dealing from the abundance of starters they have, especially with Erik Johnson not too far off. Rios will bring back something nice too.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Haven't looked at the list of potential FA this off-season, I take it
Don't need stars at every position of need, just upgrades. There are several players who would be upgrades over Flowers and DeAza at their positions. And there are several first basemen who could hit better than Paulie is hitting this year.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 PM
WSI Personality

It doesn't feel like this team should be anywhere near .500 so I guess thats a plus. Sort of.

The Cubs are way too bad to lose a series too so they better find a way to pull their heads out of their asses and look like a major league team for the rest of the series.

Alexi's boneheaded play in the first really set the tone. Just amazingly bad performances tonight.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 PM
WSI Personality

1) I'm hoping this is our bad game for the week, and lets just forget about it and move on.
2) I realize that there are very few bullpen pitchers who have good years every year but I can't recall any bullpen pitcher who has been as bad as Nate Jones is this year. Especially with all the sucess he had in 2012. I don't know what the White Sox have down in the Minors who can help us in the bullpen now. I would like to think if Jones keeps getting bombed his days with the team are numbered.
3) 30,000 is a good crowd for a Monday night. When you stop and consider how they have overpriced this series, I think thats a decent crowd. The cheapest ticket in the upper deck is $40 and the cheapest ticket in the lower deck is $85. This is the only series this year that has these high prices and I think this is another PR mistake by the White Sox. By having the normal prices wouldn't they be making more money with a full house?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Ramirez is a silly ballplayer. He's also a loser. Sure, he's an above average shortstop, but his mental makeup is like an anchor for a team trying to rise to become a legitimate contender. Hit ongoing mental mistakes in the field are inexcusable. Then there's his ridiculous approach at the plate. He just stupidly swings for the fences all the time. What has that produced so far this season? One home run. One! His RBI total is an embarrassment for someone who's played every inning of every game. I won't even get into all of his weird mannerisms. He tries to act cool on the field, but he's really a clueless clown.

I've had it with De Aza, too. Even when he's hitting well, he doesn't help you that much because his on-base percentage is low. And his body language is just terrible, especially for a leadoff hitter. He's supposed to set a positive tone. Instead, he sets a negative one. He's always shaking his head and moping. I heard that Youkilis said he's never seen a player give up like De Aza did near the end of last season. How's that for a damning indictment? De Aza has regressed defensively, too. Part of that is on him. The other part is on Ventura. Center field is a key defensive position. Ventura has started De Aza, Wise and Danks in center in the first two months. That's no way for anyone to get used to where the walls are in center.

Our hitting approach as a team just sucks. We got dominated by a pitcher who entered the game with a 2-6 record. And we got hammered by a garbage team. It's just one loss, but this one really ticks me off.

Not impressed at all with Ventura this season. The myriad of problems aren't all his fault, but he's been bad at his job.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickAllen72 View Post
All they need are a league average catcher and a decent centerfielder.
Quote:
And for Adam Dunn to hit consistently. And to hope Beckham hits when he returns. And hope Alexei can find some of the power he used to have. And to hope Konerko can re-find his hitting stroke.
...and for Alexei Ramirez to remember what position he plays. And that Dayan Viciedo learns how to swing more than one way. And that they all try to go with a pitch instead of flailing as if they're all fastballs.

We were at the game tonight, having actually paid money for tickets. I was at turns embarrassed, amused, enraged, resigned, and apoplectic. After Flowers threw away the throw to first after Sweeney's strikeout in the 7th, a young woman sitting in front of us took me to task for not supporting the Sox because there were Cub fans there. I think it was my intemperate remarks about Flowers' similarity to equine hindquarters that provoked her admonishment.

But dammit, the Cubs are a last-place team! Sure, Semardzija was good tonight, but two hits all night, and one of those erased on a double play? This wasn't an off night, this is a pathology. I don't know the answer, but I cannot believe that there is no one available in professional baseball who couldn't find a better approach at the plate than the bulk of these guys. The Sox have gifted starting pitchers and a generally dependable bullpen (Nate Jones notwithstanding), all of whom deserve better than the (lack of) offensive support they're getting.

It's going to take time but it's got to get fixed. I know the Sox have beefed up scouting in Latin America since the Wilder scandal and that Rick Hahn says they're looking for more "toolsy" players, and that's good. Wherever they come from, they can't come soon enough. Tonight's game was Exhibit A of that need.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Hopefully Beckham will relegate Keppinger to super-sub duty.

Next, Phegley needs to replace Flowers.

Finally, I'd give Jordan Danks a shot as the starting CF, and park DeAza on the bench, and DFA Wise. Danks may not hit better, but we know he will field better, and he might hit better.
I would prefer to have an actual major league player playing center field. De Aza is significantly better than Danks. Hell, Wise is better than Danks.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I would prefer to have an actual major league player playing center field. De Aza is significantly better than Danks. Hell, Wise is better than Danks.
Agreed. Jordan Danks is nothing more than an organizational player. He has done nothing to indicate he deserves a full-time shot.

Of course, to be fair, the Sox gave Flowers a shot -- even though he didn't deserve one either. We all see the results of that.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I knew Flowers wouldn't hit. And I never bought that his defense would be an improvement over Pierzynski. Flowers stinks, and honestly, I'm not sure if the long-term answer at that position is currently in the organization. We've got big problems at catcher.

Really, I just shrug off this loss. It's magnified because it was against the Cubs, but we shouldn't be surprised when the Sox play like this. It wasn't the first ugly loss of the season and it won't be the last.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-27-2013, 11:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post
But he's not Bob Gibson! Our offense was John Shoop-like tonight!
Tonight and for the better part of the season so far this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
About the only teams the Cubs can beat are the Marlins and Astros and that's who we looked like tonight. Get to.500 and the next game look like a bunch of minor leaguers.
Can the Sox play the Marlins some more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
1) I'm hoping this is our bad game for the week, and lets just forget about it and move on.
2) I realize that there are very few bullpen pitchers who have good years every year but I can't recall any bullpen pitcher who has been as bad as Nate Jones is this year. Especially with all the success he had in 2012. I don't know what the White Sox have down in the Minors who can help us in the bullpen now. I would like to think if Jones keeps getting bombed his days with the team are numbered.
3) 30,000 is a good crowd for a Monday night. When you stop and consider how they have overpriced this series, I think thats a decent crowd. The cheapest ticket in the upper deck is $40 and the cheapest ticket in the lower deck is $85. This is the only series this year that has these high prices and I think this is another PR mistake by the White Sox. By having the normal prices wouldn't they be making more money with a full house?
Spot on. Spot on.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Finding a replacement for Flowers is one thing, but I don't know that Danks would be a viable replacement for De Aza. Alejandro needs to stop swinging for the fences and get back to driving the ball. Beckham will hopefully be replacing Keppinger soon and the middle of the order isn't doing it aside from the occasional home run from Dunn. Can't do much about him and Konerko. Alexei's power is also down for whatever reason. So besides the catcher spot, I'm not sure what other options the Sox have.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Ramirez is a silly ballplayer. He's also a loser. Sure, he's an above average shortstop, but his mental makeup is like an anchor for a team trying to rise to become a legitimate contender. Hit ongoing mental mistakes in the field are inexcusable. Then there's his ridiculous approach at the plate. He just stupidly swings for the fences all the time. What has that produced so far this season? One home run. One! His RBI total is an embarrassment for someone who's played every inning of every game. I won't even get into all of his weird mannerisms. He tries to act cool on the field, but he's really a clueless clown.

I've had it with De Aza, too. Even when he's hitting well, he doesn't help you that much because his on-base percentage is low. And his body language is just terrible, especially for a leadoff hitter. He's supposed to set a positive tone. Instead, he sets a negative one. He's always shaking his head and moping. I heard that Youkilis said he's never seen a player give up like De Aza did near the end of last season. How's that for a damning indictment? De Aza has regressed defensively, too. Part of that is on him. The other part is on Ventura. Center field is a key defensive position. Ventura has started De Aza, Wise and Danks in center in the first two months. That's no way for anyone to get used to where the walls are in center.

Our hitting approach as a team just sucks. We got dominated by a pitcher who entered the game with a 2-6 record. And we got hammered by a garbage team. It's just one loss, but this one really ticks me off.

Not impressed at all with Ventura this season. The myriad of problems aren't all his fault, but he's been bad at his job.
I just looked up Alexei's stats, 1 homer and 10 RBI's. That's stunningly bad. Literally useless at the plate and his continuing mental errors are making him a liability in the field too. He always has a hot streak sooner or later but 10 RBI's is awful. As far as Jeff S and his 2-6 record , if you didn't know that you would think Roger Clemens in his prime was pitching last night. Hawk and Steve were gushing like they were seeing something special last night. Yeah, he's proven too be a pretty good pitcher but they need to quit insulting everyone's intelligence every night when we all know everybody looks like a legend pitching against us. This nightly session of potential 20 game winners with unhittable stuff charade is getting old. When Hawk goes on about how this team is going to hit I have to wonder if he really believes that or what planet he's on.

Last edited by mahagga73; 05-28-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't think the Sox had a bad approach at the plate tonight. Samardzija was just flat out dealing tonight. He was hitting 96-98 on the fastball, changing, speeds, his breaking stuff was working and he was hitting his spots.

He was throwing strikes all night and the Sox went up there swinging which is what you have to do against a guy not missing much on the mound, otherwise you're down 0-2 real quick.

It's really easy to watch from the Center Field Camera and yell at the hitters saying "AWW HOW COULD YOU SWING AT THAT IT WAS IN THE DIRT!" But when you're at the plate those balls look like they are coming right down the middle and just drop out of the zone.

I'm more annoyed with how the defense played today.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
I just looked up Alexei's stats, 1 homer and 10 RBI's. That's stunningly bad. Literally useless at the plate and his continuing mental errors are making him a liability in the field too. He always has a hot streak sooner or later but 10 RBI's is awful. As far as Jeff S and his 2-6 record , if you didn't know that you would think Roger Clemens in his prime was pitching last night. Hawk and Steve were gushing like they were seeing something special last night. Yeah, he's proven too be a pretty good pitcher but they need to quit insulting everyone's intelligence every night when we all know everybody looks like a legend pitching against us. This nightly session of potential 20 game winners with unhittable stuff charade is getting old. When Hawk goes on about how this team is going to hit I have to wonder if he really believes that or what planet he's on.

W-L records are pretty meaninglessness when it comes to pitchers. He now has an ERA of 2.85 and a WHIP of 1.05 2 of his losses were also 1-0 losses. He's been pretty damn good this year.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
...and for Alexei Ramirez to remember what position he plays. And that Dayan Viciedo learns how to swing more than one way. And that they all try to go with a pitch instead of flailing as if they're all fastballs.

We were at the game tonight, having actually paid money for tickets. I was at turns embarrassed, amused, enraged, resigned, and apoplectic. After Flowers threw away the throw to first after Sweeney's strikeout in the 7th, a young woman sitting in front of us took me to task for not supporting the Sox because there were Cub fans there. I think it was my intemperate remarks about Flowers' similarity to equine hindquarters that provoked her admonishment.

But dammit, the Cubs are a last-place team! Sure, Semardzija was good tonight, but two hits all night, and one of those erased on a double play? This wasn't an off night, this is a pathology. I don't know the answer, but I cannot believe that there is no one available in professional baseball who couldn't find a better approach at the plate than the bulk of these guys. The Sox have gifted starting pitchers and a generally dependable bullpen (Nate Jones notwithstanding), all of whom deserve better than the (lack of) offensive support they're getting.

It's going to take time but it's got to get fixed. I know the Sox have beefed up scouting in Latin America since the Wilder scandal and that Rick Hahn says they're looking for more "toolsy" players, and that's good. Wherever they come from, they can't come soon enough. Tonight's game was Exhibit A of that need.

I was at the hospital with my Dad yesterday and we were both irritated watching that game/mess last night. I can only imagine how awful it was for you and your family to have to watch in person. Of course, it's not the first or last time the Sox have played so poorly, but we really hate to see the Sox lose to the Cubs.