White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I called the post game show last night and pointed out that Phegley is hitting over .300 in the Minor Leagues. Flowers isn't hitting his weight here in Chicago. I asked why not bring him up now? Rongey said the White Sox didn't want to bring up a catcher at this time because the pitchers are familar with and like the catchers the White Sox have now. All I know is that this year the White Sox have 5 guys who are not hitting.( Dunn, Konerko, Flowers, DeAza and Keppinger) There are too many outs in this lineup and this 2013 season is going down the tubes because of it. You have a guy at Triple AAA who is hitting the daylights out of the ball. You simply bring him up. The only thing I can figure is that the White Sox organization don't have a high opinion of Phegley. This offense is so bad that when the team is losing by a couple of runs you get the impression that the team won't come back and win the game.
Or, maybe they understand that this team isn't going to out-slug anyone and keeping the battery intact is more important for the staff than the offense from the catcher. Flowers deserves a ton if blame, but the lack of production from the middle if the order is a bigger concern. Maybe they should call Phegley up and have him DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-29-2013, 10:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Black Hole #1- Adam Dunn (should be platooned with Keppinger when Beckham is back, worst FA signing in MLB history, there really isn't any hope as long as we have a .156 hitting DH/clean up hitter, now .180 in 2+ seasons with the White Sox)

Black Hole #2- De Aza, a 4th or 5th OF at best (zero OF depth in the organization- as evidenced by Wells as Wise being on the major league roster), still haven't had a lead off man since Pods left.

For position players- we have an old and mediocre roster at the major league level and very little talent coming in the minors.

Thanks Kenny!
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Black Hole #1- Adam Dunn (should be platooned with Keppinger when Beckham is back, worst FA signing in MLB history, there really isn't any hope as long as we have a .156 hitting DH/clean up hitter, now .180 in 2+ seasons with the White Sox)

Black Hole #2- De Aza, a 4th or 5th OF at best (zero OF depth in the organization- as evidenced by Wells as Wise being on the major league roster), still haven't had a lead off man since Pods left.

For position players- we have an old and mediocre roster at the major league level and very little talent coming in the minors.

Thanks Kenny!
Seriously, the future is bleak on this side of town. Thinking of convincing the rest of my STH group to cancel after this season. It's not like there's a wait list (unlike *every* other team in town).

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Seriously, the future is bleak on this side of town. Thinking of convincing the rest of my STH group to cancel after this season. It's not like there's a wait list (unlike *every* other team in town).
I don't mean to rain on the melodrama, but when you have 4 or 5 quality starters under 30, it's really not all that bleak. That doesn't include a real solid number 2 that's 31 and locked up to a team friendly deal. We aren't a good team, but it's not the end of the world.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I don't mean to rain on the melodrama, but when you have 4 or 5 quality starters under 30, it's really not all that bleak. That doesn't include a real solid number 2 that's 31 and locked up to a team friendly deal. We aren't a good team, but it's not the end of the world.
Yeah, and even as absolutely dreadful as the Sox have looked this year, they're still basically right in the middle of the MLB (#17 of 30) in terms of winning percentage.

No one is arguing the team's very good this year, but some of the doom and gloom around here is a little over the top dramatic. But to each their own.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-29-2013, 11:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't mean to rain on the melodrama, but when you have 4 or 5 quality starters under 30, it's really not all that bleak.
I wouldnt put Axlerod and I have to see a lot more of Danks to put him in that category. Quintana is young, has pitched well but can he be considered a quality starter for years to come? I dont know.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Maybe we could give Rick Hahn a year or so in the job to find a few more serviceable players like Gillaspie before declaring the franchise a total disaster.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L

Next Game: ??
Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Then they'll have to shell out money on actual good FAs for the offense, as there's nothing in the minors. Do you have faith in them to do that? Mine is low-but-hopeful.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
No one is arguing the team's very good this year, but some of the doom and gloom around here is a little over the top dramatic. But to each their own.
Gloom, I say!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Maybe we could give Rick Hahn a year or so in the job to find a few more serviceable players like Gillaspie before declaring the franchise a total disaster.
It's not a disaster - it's just a middling franchise, as it has been for a while - with seemingly little direction.

And we need more than serviceable guys - we need offensive forces.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM
WSI Guru

Sun Times looks at the question of 'what can Hahn do?' given the situation with the organization:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/20399...necessity.html

Also just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. Don't even know if MLB keeps track of such things but Dunn, De Aza and Flowers are all on pace to strike out at least 150 times each this season.

Has a team ever had three 'starters' do that in a single season?

Regarding Jones and De Aza, I agree...who the hell else can they replace them with? That's a sad situation.

Still think Jones is going to be a good pitcher for the Sox in time but right now how are you going to keep using him when he's getting hit so hard you are either losing the game out-right or having your chances to come back and win it dramatically reduced.

I suspect a lack of depth is also the reason they've hung on to Heath, Veal and Omagrosso. All of them should have been waived a long time ago but haven't been. That's not sad...that's scary.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 05-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
And we need more than serviceable guys - we need offensive forces.

And how do they get those offensive forces? Up coming FA's dont look like much, future FA's will probably be even worse with teams locking players up early, nothing coming up through the minors and no chips to get top level prospects. I hate to say disaster but a bleak situation it sure seems to be.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Still think Jones is going to be a good pitcher for the Sox in time but right now how are you going to keep using him when he's getting hit so hard you are either losing the game out-right or having your chances to come back and wit it dramatically reduced.

I suspect a lack of depth is also the reason they've hung on to Heath, Veal and Omagrosso. All of them should have been waived a long time ago but haven't been. That's not sad...that's scary.
I don't know, all three of those guys have flashed as much potential as Jones has, find me a team that doesn't have a couple questionable arms in their bullpen.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
And how do they get those offensive forces? Up coming FA's dont look like much, future FA's will probably be even worse with teams locking players up early, nothing coming up through the minors and no chips to get top level prospects. I hate to say disaster but a bleak situation it sure seems to be.
Exactly. You either trade assets to get 2014 assets, or you blow it up a bit and trade assets for 2015/beyond assets, because the minors have practically no one of value.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't know, all three of those guys have flashed as much potential as Jones has, find me a team that doesn't have a couple questionable arms in their bullpen.
At the backend, yes. Jones is used a lot.

Also, for the most part, Cincinnati, and, most definitely, Atlanta, just off the top of my head.