White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I don't think the Sox are playoff contenders, but I find preposterous the notion that the Sox are one of the worst teams in MLB.

The Sox have one of the finest starting rotations, closer, and set-up man, in the majors.

I agree that their collection of position players is seriously deficient, and several of the players are playing much worse than they otherwise should be expected to play. Only Rios and Gillaspie are performing acceptably.

Two of our pitchers - one of whom just made his second start since returning from a year-long injury absence - just got bombed by a team that just got hot, while our already weak offense is slumping.

Lets not overreact here.
One of the finest starting rotations? I don't know about that, there's a plethera of great starting rotations in baseball. Sale Peavy have been a really good top two so far, but...realistically I can name about ten rotations 1-5 that are better.

Players in our lineup are not playing much worse than they otherwise should be expected to play. They are playing to expectation. This is what every analysis of the team said this offseason. At what point do you simply admit, "yeah, the consensus was right"? It's been two months and the analysis was spot on.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
One of the finest starting rotations? I don't know about that, there's a plethera of great starting rotations in baseball. Sale Peavy have been a really good top two so far, but...realistically I can name about ten rotations 1-5 that are better.

Players in our lineup are not playing much worse than they otherwise should be expected to play. They are playing to expectation. This is what every analysis of the team said this offseason. At what point do you simply admit, "yeah, the consensus was right"? It's been two months and the analysis was spot on.
I thought I read the other day that Sox starters are #1 in the AL in ERA.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
The Sox are #1 in the AL in WAR for pitchers (by actually a nice margin) so you probably can't
Old 05-29-2013, 10:23 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
They are one of the best; basically any metric shows the Sox SP as being one the league's very best. Anyone who would argue that point is probably not watching and just judging other teams on "name" alone.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Sox are #1 in the AL in WAR for pitchers (by actually a nice margin) so you probably can't
Set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
They are one of the best; basically any metric shows the Sox SP as being one the league's very best. Anyone who would argue that point is probably not watching and just judging other teams on "name" alone.
Munch.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM
WSI Guru

In the autopsy story Gonzo talked with Robin who said that he's now considering major lineup changes involving the batting order...specifically Dunn and De Aza. Robin was quoted as saying that "anything at this point is on the table..."

Story said Robin is considering Ramirez into the leadoff position perhaps as soon as Thursday.

Lip
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
In the autopsy story Gonzo talked with Robin who said that he's now considering major lineup changes involving the batting order...specifically Dunn and De Aza. Robin was quoted as saying that "anything at this point is on the table..."

Story said Robin is considering Ramirez into the leadoff position perhaps as soon as Thursday.

Lip
Given the current roster, I'd think outside the box, and do this:

Alexei, Gillaspie, Rios, Paulie, Keppinger, Viciedo, Dunn, Flowers, DeAza.

Clusters all the high-strikeout bums at the bottom of the order. Yes, it basically gives up every third inning, but it puts our best hitters together where they can actually do some things.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Worst team in baseball and 10 better rotations? Dude, go home. You're full of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 AM
WSI Guru

Yeah, I think the Sox would be about 8-42 if it wasn't for their strong starting pitching. This is a pretty good rotation. Reed and Crain have been really good at the end of the bullpen too.

Certainly, this team has won few, if any, games on offensive prowess.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

There's no accountability in this organization. Drafts/minor league development has been terrible for years and people get promoted. Dunn has sucked for the better part of three seasons and his .150 average continues to show up in the cleanup spot. Danks does not have major league stuff/velocity and he's inserted into the rotation. Ramirez makes repeated mental mistakes and refuses to bunt properly yet never leaves the field. Viciedo hacks like a fool and plays everyday. I can go on and on, but I'm losing interest in this team and organization, which can't even do the right thing with a pregame video. The whole thing is just so old.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Hey, look! The sun did rise this morning!!! Win today and most of us will feel better about life.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Thrilling. Navarro had a HR for every Dunn K. At that rate, he could hit 250 HRs this season.
Sarcasm at its finest. Love the quote, hate the team's performance.

By the way, if any of you could see your way to it, I might need some bail money before today is over. Two cub fans at work might require a tuneup.

Last edited by nsolo; 05-30-2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: poor typing
Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
For once, glad I was at work instead of watching more pathetic offense and a loss to a garbage dump team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
It's not really good for me to walk around muttering and stewing after a bad loss, so I'm trying hard to stay positive. Well, maybe not stay positive - more like, I'm trying to have closer mentality: tomorrow, I must forget what happened today.

It's getting really difficult to do so, though, as the Sox continue the slide into sub-mediocrity. Danks only goes 4, relief pitching ineffective, offense mostly non-existent, and defense shaky? Does not get much uglier than this one, and it makes it more painful that it was done against the Cubs.
+1

I was also at work and could not watch this game, which is probably a good thing for my general well-being, including my blood pressure.

I did watch Monday night's game and was annoyed to see the anemic Sox offense against this bad Cubs team. From reading this postgame thread, it sounds like the Sox offensive woes continued. Add in bad Sox defense and ineffective Sox pitching and you have the recipe for another painful Sox loss.

Glad to hear that Robin is talking lineup changes. C'mon Sox offense, wake up! Need to salvage a win today.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Given the current roster, I'd think outside the box, and do this:

Alexei, Gillaspie, Rios, Paulie, Keppinger, Viciedo, Dunn, Flowers, DeAza.

Clusters all the high-strikeout bums at the bottom of the order. Yes, it basically gives up every third inning, but it puts our best hitters together where they can actually do some things.
I agree but Kepp batting 5th? Ugh.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Keppinger shouldn't even be in baseball.