White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
When all is said and done, I doubt we'll have any more than 2 of the top fifty starters. It would be nice if that was wrong, but I have a hard time believing we will. The stuff isn't there.

That remains to be seen, I suppose. There is a case to be made. I didn't say we were for sure the worse, but we're also getting our asses handed to us by one of those teams. We're at least in the conversation.
Because it is a rivalry game, I think some Chicago based fans over-react to the Cubs series. The White Sox took 2 out of 3 off Boston last week, one of the better teams in baseball. They then swept Miami which is one of the teams with a terrible record and may be getting swept by the Cubs.

I don't think any of those series individually means they are a good team that beat Boston and Miami or a bad team that lost a series to the Cubs. They are still a team that has good pitching with weak hitting and defense. Which if we don't see a major change , usually translates to a .500 team--middle of the pack.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
I understand what you're saying, but it's not just when they're good that brought out good/bad emotions. For some reason though, I just have very little emotion when it comes to this team and it's been that way for a couple years now. I still support the hell out of them, I go to games, etc... I just don't know where my emotion about this franchise has gone. Maybe it's growing up/getting older, but I also have to say that I know those emotions are still there for other teams that I follow. It's just that for this team and organization, I feel very little right now. Whether it be the perceived lack of direction, the players, the type of baseball they play, the notion that the organization seems to think they know more than the fans about what fans want ... I don't know what it is, but this team (that I've loved for 25+ years now and lived/died with the results) in its current state - is boring to me and generates very little of that same emotion I've had in the past (good/bad/other). The most emotion I have/feel about them is when I talk about blowing it up and starting over.

Also, I have no problem with what occurred with Buehrle. It was the right decision and it always will be. I'm just saying that Buehrle's last start is probably the last time I truly felt something about this organization or someone in this organization from a White Sox fan standpoint. Last year was nice/enjoyable for 90% of the season, and I went to over 40 games (including Humber's perfect game in Seattle), and as much as that one game had me 'feeling' something, it was baseball me that felt something, not White Sox fan me.
I'm in the same camp. I think last year's choke job broke something in me. The emotion is not there for now, but I don't think it is dead. I just wish we had some stud position players on the horizon to be excited about. Even when they sucked in the late-80's we knew that Frank and Ventura were coming up. I would love to have that again.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I'm in the same camp. I think last year's choke job broke something in me. The emotion is not there for now, but I don't think it is dead. I just wish we had some stud position players on the horizon to be excited about. Even when they sucked in the late-80's we knew that Frank and Ventura were coming up. I would love to have that again.
That makes a lot of sense. There certainly is a sizzle missing to this team.

That said, have you guys seen Chris Sale pitch? That guy is amazing.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Because it is a rivalry game, I think some Chicago based fans over-react to the Cubs series. The White Sox took 2 out of 3 off Boston last week, one of the better teams in baseball. They then swept Miami which is one of the teams with a terrible record and may be getting swept by the Cubs.

I don't think any of those series individually means they are a good team that beat Boston and Miami or a bad team that lost a series to the Cubs. They are still a team that has good pitching with weak hitting and defense. Which if we don't see a major change , usually translates to a .500 team--middle of the pack.
As I said earlier, 6 total series wins all year, and that Boston series is one of two against winning teams. TWICE in two months have we won a series against a decent opponent. That's what really really bad teams do. Barely win series, and only win a handful against good teams. Houston is going to take some series from good teams this year. That doesn't mean they're also not atrocious.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

I think part of the reason I'm not as emotional when they lose anymore is that I feel like I'm getting fed a **** sandwich every time I see Dunn in the 4 hole. If they don't care enough to put that guy down in the lineup, I don't care enough to get upset anymore when he sucks. I realize moving him down is a drop in the ocean with this bunch, but at least do SOMETHING.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
As I said earlier, 6 total series wins all year, and that Boston series is one of two against winning teams. TWICE in two months have we won a series against a decent opponent. That's what really really bad teams do. Barely win series, and only win a handful against good teams. Houston is going to take some series from good teams this year. That doesn't mean they're also not atrocious.
This is very true.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-30-2013, 04:11 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That makes a lot of sense. There certainly is a sizzle missing to this team.

That said, have you guys seen Chris Sale pitch? That guy is amazing.
That's great! What do I do for the other 130 games or so?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The guy's hitting like .350 the past 2 weeks
So what? Keppinger is a dog. He's just not a good baseball player.