Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Rewind that to 1998 when the Cubs swept us three straight at Wrigley.
I agree. This was bad. The Sox have a lot of holes in their offense right now. They need to address that.

The defense has been not been good, it's true, but will get a lot better with Gordon Beckham's return.

I have said it before -- the Sox need offensive upgrades at C, CF, DH and probably 1B, too. Rios, Beckham and Viciedo are really the Sox' offensive core right now. SS and 3B are OK, but it wouldn't shock me if the Sox moved Alexei in a deal. This team will probably look much different by 2014 if not by July 2013.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's time to shake things up and activate Minnie Minoso. He can bat cleanup on this team.

I bet Minnie wouldn't make the mental mistakes this team makes on a daily basis.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Zakath:

In the second half the schedule gets a lot, lot tougher. I suspect by the time it's done we'll wish for the "good old days" when the Sox were only three under.

Lip
I agree. The break in the schedule was now, when the only team we played, after Boston left town, between the end of May and the end of June who had a winning record was Oakland.

Post All-Star break, the schedule takes a nasty turn, starting off with Atlanta and Detroit. And I'm sure we're going to love the 10-day trip through Boston, New York, and Baltimore right around Labor Day.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

2013 Attendance Record: 0-1

JACK....BACK IN 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
This series has been terrible, but you realize they're only three under .500, right? And before this series had shown some signs of promise. Holy overreaction. Do you really not like going to baseball games?
You realize there's no future in making silk purses out of sows' ears...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post

Rios, Beckham and Viciedo are really the Sox' offensive core right now.

You do realize how extremely depressing that is?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Especially given the fact that Beckham probably still plays better while on the DL than some of the guys currently in the lineup.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Peavy allowed six runs, including a grand slam to Travis Wood, over four innings.

Thanks, Peav
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
If that was the plan, why bring back Jake Peavy for 2/$29M?

I.
Hopefully to trade him.
But today didn't help in that regard.

The last thing this team needs to do is squander resources on modest upgrades by acquiring mediocre players.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
So depressing, I'm laughing about it. We're funny bad.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeckAsInWreck View Post
This team is frustrating to watch. They can look good against good teams like Boston and Anaheim and then play like complete garbage against the Cubs.
We play up or down to the team we are playing...Texas and Boston series we looked great cubs and marlins series not great..just playing to the level of our opponent and it's frustrating to watch.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:29 PM
WSI Regular

For the most part we all just need to relax its not even June yet...So what we wet the bed hardcore that series all is not lost....I'll bring us some luck in Seattle and we will get back on track..
Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hopefully a brief road trip is what this team needs to forget about the past 3 days.

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 05-31-2013, 05:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't care who we lose to or who we beat for that matter. There isn't a column for that in the standings. Crosstown Cup?? Who cares?? I can't stand that we play the game by 2 different sets of rules.

That pop-up was Gillaspie's to catch but we definitely looked less than Little League on that one. It happens. 3-4 guys looking like they were tracking it and no one was within 5 feet of it when it fell for a single.

Still, Detroit lost 3 also so we're in no worse position than a few days ago.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
Still, Detroit lost 3 also so we're in no worse position than a few days ago.
In terms of the standings, yes, we are no worse off. But there's no way this team, without a major attitude readjustment, competes with Detroit and Cleveland the rest of the season.

It wasn't just losing to the freaking Cubs; it's how we lost and that it seemed like we made no effort to get back into any one of those games.

Losing to Smarmy is one thing; the guy's a quality pitcher on a **** team who finally got some run support. He's 3-6, but with an ERA under 3, a BAA under .200, and a WHIP just over 1. In his 10 starts, he's given up 2 runs or less 6 times.

But you go up to Wrigley and give up 3 HR to the backup catcher? Then turn around and give up a grannie to the pitcher, right after letting a popup fall in the infield? Even on the North Side, we never had a lead in the entire series, and the Cubs scored the eventual game-winning run by the fourth inning in every game.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:11 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
If that was the plan, why bring back Jake Peavy for 2/$29M?

I'm not ripping on Peavy. Just scratching my head about throwing that kind of money at a starting pitcher when your everyday lineup is dreadful. Last September proved that.

I don't think there is a plan.
You realize that's a very good deal for the Sox, right? It's a team friendly 2 year deal that doesn't include a no-trade clause, there would be no plan if the Sox DIDN'T sign him to that. First off, $29 million is not "throwing money around" in today's MLB. I know in 1980 or whatever, giving a player a $1 million contract was crazy, but in today's game, that's not a big deal. Peavy's not even one the Top 3 highest paid players ON HIS OWN TEAM. Don't pretend like it's a 7 year, $140 million contract. That would be crazy.

That said, the Sox offense was more or less respectable for most of the 2012 season. Obviously the September burnout was bad, but you were still talking about a team that, even with that awful September swoon, finished 4th in the AL in Runs Scored per game in 2012. It's easy to say in hindsight that OF COURSE the Sox offense would be bad this year, but I don't know if anyone could have predicted they'd be this bad. So even if the Sox had an average MLB offense right now, with the kind of pitching they've gotten this year they'd probably be right around neck and neck with Detroit.

That said, Peavy's deal ends at the same time Rios and Dunn's deals do, too. So the worst case scenario is he pitches another year and a half with the Sox and leaves with everyone else, his money comes off the books at the same time theirs' does. But there's no no-trade clause in his contract so you got to figure he will be an easy piece to move for prospects if it comes to that.

And finally, it's not like Peavy is blocking some up and coming golden arm in the minors. There's no blue chip pitching prospect toiling away in Charlotte or Birmingham because Peavy is still here. If he is traded, probably one of the next arms up from the minors is Zach Stewart. If the Sox had a cupboard full of quality players in the minors then yes, maybe it doesn't make as much sense to extend veterans, even at team-friendly terms, but they don't and Peavy is still pitching like one of the best pitchers in baseball.

The plan is very obvious. It makes perfect sense.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay

Last edited by doublem23; 05-31-2013 at 07:17 AM.