White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 PM
WSI Guru

A walk-off walk. Sounds about right.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 PM
WSI High Priest

What a novel concept, fouling pitches and making the pitcher throw more pitches until he throws four of them off the plate. Somebody needs to remind the Sox you can actually do that.
This has the makings of a disastrous stretch. Jarrod Parker has been on a roll as of late, and it's not like we have a lot of success in Oakland anyway.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
What a novel concept, fouling pitches and making the pitcher throw more pitches until he throws four of them off the plate. Somebody needs to remind the Sox you can actually do that.
Amazing, isn't it. It's incredible how year after year Sox players simply lack the skill or don't even bother with that. I think it's organizational actually.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:56 PM
WSI Guru

Tragg:

I get what you're saying although a lot of these guys get to the Sox and start doing the same thing as the few guys who came up through the system.

Don't understand why unless they start thinking U.S. Cellular Field, time to start trying to hit 600 foot, eight run home runs and nobody in the organization stops them.

Lip
Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Tragg:

I get what you're saying although a lot of these guys get to the Sox and start doing the same thing as the few guys who came up through the system.

Don't understand why unless they start thinking U.S. Cellular Field, time to start trying to hit 600 foot, eight run home runs and nobody in the organization stops them.

Lip
It seems more organizational when that same philosophy seems to be the weaknesses down on the farm. Although, I don't know how much of that is the players they are drafting and how much is player development.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM
WSI High Priest

It was either Ax or Santiago to the pen when Danks came back. I thought only Ax couldn't pitch out of the pen. It's both.

Oh, well, if Danks goes DL again...
Old 06-01-2013, 10:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
It was either Ax or Santiago to the pen when Danks came back. I thought only Ax couldn't pitch out of the pen. It's both.

Oh, well, if Danks goes DL again...
Danks shouldn't have been put in the rotation until proving he was ready. I'm not sure he'll ever be ready again.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Danks shouldn't have been put in the rotation until proving he was ready.
That's why he did his minor league rehab
Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
They found a new way to lose. And I thought they'd already done them all.
Yep. Very frustrating to watch them lose again, this time on a walk-off-walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
We've been inventing new ways all week.

Six days ago, we were coming off a sweep of the Marlins. Seems like six decades ago...
It sure does. I hate when the Sox go into these losing tailspins; hope they can snap out of it soon. Need a win today.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 AM
WSI Personality

Lip Man 1: I know enough about baseball to know that some stastistics lie and others don't. You pointed out that 55% of the White Sox games have the White Sox scoring 3 or less runs definitely sums up the 2013 season so far. This team simply can't hit. Taking everything into account I think it's a worse hitting team than the 1967 White Sox. At least the 67 team could manufacture runs, this team can't. The 67 team played in a much bigger pitchers park for their home games. The Cell is a much more hitter friendly park than the old Comiskey Park. I can't understand how the White Sox can keep Phegley in the Minor Leagues when he's hitting the daylights out of the ball. If anything, bring him up and bat him as a DH. I can imagine what the White Sox pitchers must think. They probably realize if they give up a few runs they're going to lose the game.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The Sox have now played 53 games, in 29 of them they've scored three runs or less. (55%)

They've scored three runs or less in five straight games and nine of the last 12.

Lip
That is, of course, the problem in a nutshell. The Sox offense is terrible and the Sox won't contend until that problem is solved.

Thankfully, the 2014 free agent class is strong at C, OF and 1B -- the positions where the Sox need the most help offensively. And the Sox have a lot of money coming off the books after 2013. I think that Rick Hahn can and will bring in some talent to address this moribund offense.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Danks shouldn't have been put in the rotation until proving he was ready. I'm not sure he'll ever be ready again.
Agree. Santiago was pitching well as a starter. Now we have 2 pitchers stinking it up. Certainly no guarantee that either would have done well in the other role, but what they did didn't work.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

True we're a bad team, but I don't remember the last time the managerial decisions from the dugout have been solid. It's been several years.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Tragg:

Lip
I can't explain it. But some of these organizations really have an ethic of working counts, trying to stress the opposing pitcher (it's also valuable on that end to wear them out). Guillen clearly had no use for that approach, but its obvious it's deeper than Guillen.
I keep going back to Swisher. Williams wanted OBP, overpaid for him and he hits .217, so he dumps him for pennies on the dollar after one season. Well, despite .217, he still walked over 10% of the time, still had an OBP of .332 (pretty good when your BA is .217) and he hit over 20 homers. Who needs him when you can get Wise to hit .250 for you? Which is exactly what the Sox did. And I keep going back to Wise as well, but his mere presence on this roster indicates that the Sox have odd ideas on offense. (of course he's been more than that: lead-off hitter (2009) and top bench bat (2013)).
Finding Gillespie hopefully indicates that Hahn has ideas of his own.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I can't understand how the White Sox can keep Phegley in the Minor Leagues when he's hitting the daylights out of the ball. If anything, bring him up and bat him as a DH.
The only logical guess I've seen online is they don't want to start Phegley's arbitration clock too soon (by giving him Super Two status). Regardless of whether or not that is actually the case with Phegley, I hate this rule and hope it changes in the near future; keeping prospects in the minors for financial reasons alone does the game a disservice.

Playing Phegley at DH against lefties and C against righties would at least give him a ton of ABs, would effectively bench Dunn a bit more, and would take away Flowers' hatchet-jobs at the plate. Win-win-win, if Phegley doesn't produce at least you have your scouting report on him in the big leagues.