White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 06:11 PM
WSI Regular

Angry Worst Offense In the AL

The Sox are dead last in all offensive categories, except for home runs.

The Sox are 3-16 in games when they haven't hit a long one.

They're shutout by a mediocre Oakland pitcher and reliever today. Sale's shutout innings string came to an end earlier. Sox blew another chance to pull within 4 1/2 of Detroit, who lost again to Baltimore.

How much longer are we going to have to put up with this anemic offense? This team is simply painful to watch. They get down by a few runs and they're toast.

Greg Walker can't take the blame for this train wreck. Williams and Hahn have built a team that's overly dependent on the home run ball. Too many station-to-station runners. We can't manufacture runs. The Sox simply are not good enough to hit-and-run successfully. Too many batters can't bunt or advance a runner. Sox hitters strike out way too often. Change ups and soft breaking stuff completely fool our hitters. Pitchers show us fast balls out of the zone, and then come back with off speed pitches that make our hitters look bad.

It's off to Seattle to take on a below average Mariners' team. I'm still waiting for this offense to break out and put some numbers on the board.

I just don't know when that is going to happen.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

All I can say I haven't since a White Sox offense this bad since the late 60's. The third game against the A's was as pathetic as it gets.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 PM
WSI Personality

I heard Hahn on the Score baseball show this morning. If anybody noticed they wouldn't allow phone calls from the public. It was simply a talk with Hahn and the host. Anyways , Hahn said the only 2 players that have performed offensively have been Rios and Gillaspie. If thats how he feels, what if anything is he going to do to help the team? They can't hit. It's that simple. He must not think to highly of Phegley. Even tho he's hitting over .300 in the minors, he keeps him down on the farm and won't bring him up here. I feel sorry for the White Sox pitchers. If they give up 3 runs a game, the game is over.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 PM
WSI Personality

The problem with this team isn't station-to-station baserunners. It's no one besides Rios, Konerko, and Gillaspie has a plan. They don't swing at strikes, so they never walk. Hard to manufacture runs with a .290 OBP. Beckham will help, if only because Keppinger has been near historically bad, but they just don't have a lot of professional hitters. What they think they see in Caspar Wells baffles me. I expect you'll see a lot of auditions for the rest of the year, starting with JorDanks. He looked very good at Charlotte and he's a hell of a lot better in cf than DeAza. Play him 4 times a week and see if you got anything. Obviously, you'll also see Phegley (eventually), and whoever they get for Crain and Peavy.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungo bat View Post
Too many station-to-station runners. We can't manufacture runs. The Sox simply are not good enough to hit-and-run successfully. Too many batters can't bunt or advance a runner. Sox hitters strike out way too often. Change ups and soft breaking stuff completely fool our hitters. Pitchers show us fast balls out of the zone, and then come back with off speed pitches that make our hitters look bad.
Lack of bunting isn't the problem. Neither is too many home runs.
We have guys who are incapable of getting on base, and just can't drive the ball and hit.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I heard Hahn on the Score baseball show this morning. If anybody noticed they wouldn't allow phone calls from the public. It was simply a talk with Hahn and the host. Anyways , Hahn said the only 2 players that have performed offensively have been Rios and Gillaspie. If thats how he feels, what if anything is he going to do to help the team? They can't hit. It's that simple. He must not think to highly of Phegley. Even tho he's hitting over .300 in the minors, he keeps him down on the farm and won't bring him up here. I feel sorry for the White Sox pitchers. If they give up 3 runs a game, the game is over.
He can help the team by admitting this season is over...blow it up, get what he can for certain players and start the rebuilding process today, as in right now...not wait till the off season.

He can get a three or four month head start on things. He's seen 54 games now, nothing is really going to change if he wait another 30. It's not working today, it's not going to work tomorrow...admit it and start the process of climbing out of the hole.

Lip
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
He can help the team by admitting this season is over...blow it up, get what he can for certain players and start the rebuilding process today, as in right now...not wait till the off season.
The organization has known of this offensively challenged bunch for years. Hahn and the whole lot of them had the entire offseason to improve things so...What makes you think they are capable of turning it around now?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:09 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't care what people say, I rather suck at pitching than suck at hitting. Bad offensive baseball is as boring to me as Soccer.

Last edited by LoveYourSuit; 06-02-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 PM
WSI Guru

This isn't really a home run or bust team because this team doesn't hit homers. Gillaspie has very little power. Alexei's home run power has evaporated, as has Konerko's. Keppinger and Beckham don't hit for power. Rios is more of a doubles hitter. I'd classify the 04 or 07 teams as homer or bust. This team just can't hit.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
The organization has known of this offensively challenged bunch for years. Hahn and the whole lot of them had the entire offseason to improve things so...What makes you think they are capable of turning it around now?
Captain:

That's a great point...very valid. But outside of new ownership coming in, cleaning house and starting over what else could the current ownership / front office do?

If you assume that what JR said last week is true, that he won't sell until he dies, the current front office is all you have to work with for good or bad.

Lip
Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
This Sox lineup, essentially the same as a year before, was basically league average or better in every major offensive category last season.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
This Sox lineup, essentially the same as a year before, was basically league average or better in every major offensive category last season.
Of course that lineup also got career years out the catcher and center fielder.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Of course that lineup also got career years out the catcher and center fielder.
And you think that alone accounts for an 80 point OPS drop?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
the current front office is all you have to work with for good or bad.

Lip
all I can say is .. Go Bears!! Go Blackhawks!!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
all I can say is .. Go Bears!! Go Blackhawks!!
Cool story bro.