White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM
WSI Guru

The body of work is small but it looks like Santiago is more comfortable starting then out of the pen.

Yes the crowds have been unusually good for this bad of a team, credit that to cheaper tickets but if the team goes south in the second half with a very tough schedule and / or a sell off of veterans, the impact probably won't be felt in the stands until next year. Tickets have already been bought for this year.

Nice to win two straight for the first time in what two, 21/2 weeks?

Lip
Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
With all the intra-division games in the second half, it's important to stay within striking distance of the division lead. In the second half, whoever gets hot in the division can win it. Most likely that's the Tigers, as they have a history of closing strong, but it's not a guarantee. Hopefully our bats heat up with the weather, and progress to the mean.
Actually, they don't. Ask any Tigers fan.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 06-09-2013, 08:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Was impressed with the crowd as well. Like you said Family Sundays really seems to be working quite well.

Especially today when you consider this team is coming off of one of the worst road trips I can remember them having and then dropping 2 in a row to start the homestand.

7 games under and 8 games back. Be interesting to see if we can work our way back up to third again by month's end. Baby steps.

It was a good crowd today for the jersey giveaway. Everyone was there early for the jersey and autographs. My daughter only made it through two autograph lines today and she was making it through 4-5 lines on previous Sundays.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Gillaspie was phenomenal at 3b today, and dont discount the importance of that sac fly in the 4th.
Gillaspie has been in a hitting slump. Even when he has been making good contact, he has been hitting into the defense. But he has been looking like a very good defensive third baseman, even coming into this game. He made a play in Oakland last Sunday that may have been his best of the season. Part of his hitting slump may be that the White Sox have been playing the A's, who have been playing really great baseball of late.

Really, the Sox went 2-5 against the A's, and all five losses were games where they had a chance to win. The first two losses in the home series were heartbreaking. The Sox probably stayed with Quintana longer than they should have because their bullpen was overworked, and he eventually gave up the 3-0 lead. Sale had a bad inning and lost his 3-0 lead. Today's game was the only one of the series where the Sox didn't have a three-run lead.

I was surprised that Santiago did as well as he did today with the A's having seen better lefties in Sale and Danks the last two days. One of the reasons you don't see a lot of lefty-heavy rotations is that lefties tend to have a greater edge against lineups who see fewer lefties.

Against Oakland, it was a nice comeback for Santiago, who walked in the winning run in the Saturday game in Oakland, although an A's fan I had the misfortune to be seated in front of last Sunday, seeming to be making a case for cutting off beer sales 10 minutes before the first pitch, was screaming for an entire inning at Lindstrom, accusing him rather rudely of walking in the winning run the day before.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Gillaspie has been in a hitting slump. Even when he has been making good contact, he has been hitting into the defense. But he has been looking like a very good defensive third baseman, even coming into this game. He made a play in Oakland last Sunday that may have been his best of the season. Part of his hitting slump may be that the White Sox have been playing the A's, who have been playing really great baseball of late.

Really, the Sox went 2-5 against the A's, and all five losses were games where they had a chance to win. The first two losses in the home series were heartbreaking. The Sox probably stayed with Quintana longer than they should have because their bullpen was overworked, and he eventually gave up the 3-0 lead. Sale had a bad inning and lost his 3-0 lead. Today's game was the only one of the series where the Sox didn't have a three-run lead.

I was surprised that Santiago did as well as he did today with the A's having seen better lefties in Sale and Danks the last two days. One of the reasons you don't see a lot of lefty-heavy rotations is that lefties tend to have a greater edge against lineups who see fewer lefties.

Against Oakland, it was a nice comeback for Santiago, who walked in the winning run in the Saturday game in Oakland, although an A's fan I had the misfortune to be seated in front of last Sunday, seeming to be making a case for cutting off beer sales 10 minutes before the first pitch, was screaming for an entire inning at Lindstrom, accusing him rather rudely of walking in the winning run the day before.
The A's also faced Quintana on Thursday so it was 4 straight lefties for the Sox in the series. I saw on the board today that it was the first time the Sox started 4 lefties in a 4 games series since 1980 (Burns, Trout, Baumgarten, and Kravec).
Old 06-09-2013, 08:33 PM
WSI High Priest

The last two games was simply a matter of the law of averages. The A's and White Sox couldn't keep playing the way they were for that long. Happens all the time in baseball.

I'm happy to hear the families had a good day at the ballpark, though. I'd like to take my son to his first game, but he's still a bit young.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I was blown away by the crowd today. And it wasnt riff-raff taking advantage of cheap tickets. There were genuinely tons of children there. Seems like the giveaway was a hit today.
I agree, it was a good crowd and loads of kids.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Here's an interesting tidbit from today. Sox attendance: 31,033. Cubs attendance: 31,858. I can't remember the last time we were that close when both teams were playing at home on the same day.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:13 PM
WSI Guru

I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd today. Second best crowd of the season among the eight games I've attended this year, with only Opening Day being better.

Santiago looked pretty good out there. That Peavy injury is obviously a big blow for this team, but the one positive that will come from it is an opportunity for Santiago to remain in the rotation over the next month or six weeks. He should get eight or nine starts out of that, and management can use that to start evaluating whether he's a rotation piece for 2014.

Nice defensive work by Gillaspie today. He saved the pitching staff some headaches with three or four good plays.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-09-2013, 09:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Let's get some more wins
Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I am with you. DeAza has been hitting better, put him in the keeper column.
Why would you say that? De Aza had made six errors already, terrible for an outfielder, his on-base percentage is bad, he strikes out too much and he mopes on the field.

I'm not even close to getting excited about this team. It has major issues.

It's nice to see Beckham hitting since his return. He isn't just recording hits. He looks like he has a clue at the plate and is hitting the ball hard.

Santiago does a good job in his ever-changing roles. The kid is a competitor.

Matt Thornton almost made Hawk swear today. It's time to find the lefty a new home.

Gillaspie had an awesome defensive day.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Their defense is pretty poor too.
True that

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Santiago is a good starter.
Keep him there.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I was blown away by the crowd today. And it wasnt riff-raff taking advantage of cheap tickets. There were genuinely tons of children there. Seems like the giveaway was a hit today.

I think this is going to be the only way to ever make a true dent in the fan support for Chicago Baseball. You need to get kids interested to go to Sox games. I was talking to my wife about this, Family Sundays feel more of an event than just baseball. Even with a sucky team like ours, it was fun to be at the park today.

As for Santiago, I keep saying, there is more to him than Quintana. I would build with this guy in the rotation going forward instead of Quintana.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Santiago > Quintana and Axelrod