White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Here's an interesting tidbit from today. Sox attendance: 31,033. Cubs attendance: 31,858. I can't remember the last time we were that close when both teams were playing at home on the same day.
That is interesting. Although Sox attendance problems are far from over, the Cubs problems are just starting.

Good win for the Sox although the hitting still has a long way to go.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Why would you say that? De Aza had made six errors already, terrible for an outfielder, his on-base percentage is bad, he strikes out too much and he mopes on the field.

Besides a decline in baseball fundamentals, reading comprehension has also seen better days. Then again, maybe it is the writing.

Last edited by SCCWS; 06-10-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: spell
Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassSox View Post
I agree, it was a good crowd and loads of kids.
Yes!

I spent the day gardening with my family yesterday, so I dvr'd the game and watched it early this morning.

I agree that it was great to see so many kids in attendance when the cameras scanned the crowd. I was thinking about how popular that 1983 Sox team was/is and how some of these children might be the babies of those Sox fans who were children themselves and grew up loving the1983 Sox team. Regardless, it is great to know that a new generation of Sox fans is being cultivated.

As for the game, it was nice to see the Sox play well. Besides the final out, my favorite moment of the game was when the fans gave Santiago a standing ovation as he left the game and Hector tipped his cap to the crowd. Loved that!
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!

Last edited by October26; 06-10-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I was blown away by the crowd today. And it wasnt riff-raff taking advantage of cheap tickets. There were genuinely tons of children there. Seems like the giveaway was a hit today.
Yes, great crowd. It was also Father-Daughter Day - that always brings out a lot of kids to the park.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Gillaspie was phenomenal at 3b today, and dont discount the importance of that sac fly in the 4th.
Gillaspie had a great all around game today. He has been one of the bright spots of 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Santiago > Quintana and Axelrod
Santiago has a lot of upside. I hope the Sox keep him starting all year.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

The family and I had a great time at the game and got to see a White Sox winner! My oldest got autographs from Hawk, Stone, and the Danks boys on his 83 jersey, which he then proceeded to wear on his trip around the bases after the game. The LaRussa/Hoyt line was so huge even when I got there at 11:30 I didn't even bother with it. It was weird though to see DJ by himself in a line and how big it was. I think though my kids favorite activity was visiting the outfield shower 3-4 times.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty99 View Post
The family and I had a great time at the game and got to see a White Sox winner! My oldest got autographs from Hawk, Stone, and the Danks boys on his 83 jersey, which he then proceeded to wear on his trip around the bases after the game. The LaRussa/Hoyt line was so huge even when I got there at 11:30 I didn't even bother with it. It was weird though to see DJ by himself in a line and how big it was. I think though my kids favorite activity was visiting the outfield shower 3-4 times.

DJ was supposed to be with Matt Thornton but Thornton didn't show up for the autograph session. My daughter was in that line first and left when they announced it would only be DJ signing.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I was blown away by the crowd today. And it wasnt riff-raff taking advantage of cheap tickets. There were genuinely tons of children there. Seems like the giveaway was a hit today.
With Stub Hub these days, plenty of non-Ligues take advantage of cheap tickets. I haven't gone to a game for face or over for several seasons now.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Why would you say that? De Aza had made six errors already, terrible for an outfielder, his on-base percentage is bad, he strikes out too much and he mopes on the field.

I'm not even close to getting excited about this team. It has major issues.

It's nice to see Beckham hitting since his return. He isn't just recording hits. He looks like he has a clue at the plate and is hitting the ball hard.

Santiago does a good job in his ever-changing roles. The kid is a competitor.

Matt Thornton almost made Hawk swear today. It's time to find the lefty a new home.

Gillaspie had an awesome defensive day.
Agree about De Aza. I'm not sold on him "being back" yet but I would say that he has responded favorably to those private conversations that Ventura/Hahn had with some of the struggling players. The approach at the plate seems improved lately. However, his defense in the outfield has taken a huge step back this year. He misjudges a lot of line drives, misplays the angles on balls hit off the wall, and has a hard time corralling the ball when it bounces in front of him.

As far as Thornton, I'm sure Hahn will get calls about him at the deadline assuming we are still out of contention. Veteran hard throwing lefties will be in demand. We probably should move him but the lack of organizational lefties is a concern. Veal and Septimo are not the answer and Santiago looks to be a starting pitcher if not this year, then definitely next.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
The A's also faced Quintana on Thursday so it was 4 straight lefties for the Sox in the series. I saw on the board today that it was the first time the Sox started 4 lefties in a 4 games series since 1980 (Burns, Trout, Baumgarten, and Kravec).
The A's apparently are scheduled to face Sabathia in their next game Tuesday, which would make five straight lefty starters. I would think that alone gives the A's something of an edge when Sabathia and Colon get together for their little Indians reunion, that and whatever drugs Colon is on since serving his 50-game suspension. By game time, someone will probably come up with the last time a team faced five straight lefty starters.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 PM
WSI High Priest

I am a huge personal fan of Hector Santiago after that unsolicited gesture he made this past winter going to Sandy Hook to talk to the kids.
He is a high character person,and I will always root for him to succeed. He made a bunch of new fans at Sandy Hook and I was disappointed that yesterdays game was not on WGN which would have allowed his new fans to see him in his triumphal moment.

I see Hector and Jose as very close in talent,with both having good futures ahead of them. Jose's throwing harder this year, up to 94mph,and so he now is right with Hector in stuff.

DeAza seems to be swinging up the middle more recently,which is where he should always be going.

Baby steps back to respectability? As Hawk said yesterday, the A's had he same record as the Sox did yesterday,last year,when they went on the rampage and won the AL West with 94 wins. It can be done,gang.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:02 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The A's apparently are scheduled to face Sabathia in their next game Tuesday, which would make five straight lefty starters. I would think that alone gives the A's something of an edge when Sabathia and Colon get together for their little Indians reunion, that and whatever drugs Colon is on since serving his 50-game suspension. By game time, someone will probably come up with the last time a team faced five straight lefty starters.
Hector is an interesting case, though, the way the ball comes out of his hand and the way it moves, his splits make him look more like a righty.

Both he and Quintana have looked very good this year, definitely capable of being back of the rotation pitchers on good teams. It's a nice problem to have.

It looks like we have long term solutions to our 1, 4, and 5 SP slots. Need to find a few guys who can slide in behind Sale and in front of Hector and Q. Hopefully Erik Johnson in Birmingham can fill one of those openings.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Hector is an interesting case, though, the way the ball comes out of his hand and the way it moves, his splits make him look more like a righty.

Both he and Quintana have looked very good this year, definitely capable of being back of the rotation pitchers on good teams. It's a nice problem to have.

It looks like we have long term solutions to our 1, 4, and 5 SP slots. Need to find a few guys who can slide in behind Sale and in front of Hector and Q. Hopefully Erik Johnson in Birmingham can fill one of those openings.
We need a strong right hander, especially if we trade Peavy at the deadline, which we should if teams are willing to pay (as they should). Axe has done yeoman work - I'd give him the award for Sox Player of the Year at this point - but he's just one.

We need some young position players - look at the Cardinals...a constant infusion of young talent onto their team.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:52 PM
WSI Guru

It helps that most say St. Louis has the best minor league system in baseball. S.I. had a story on "the Cardinal way..." two weeks ago and listed four kinds that they say are basically can't miss for them you'll be up in the next year or two.

The rich seem to always get richer don't they?

Lip
Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Don't forget that Danks is signed through 2016. If he's recovered from his injury and can stay healthy, he'll be a part of this rotation for several years to come.