White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
It's nice to see the Sox get to Dickey who shut them down in Toronto. Some days knuckleballers simply don't have it. But I think, too, the lineup is more dangerous than it's been for most of the year. The Sox trailed twice in this game. A very nice night for Dunn, of course.
They probably couldn't see well enough to know that the damn thing wasn't spinning, so in the fog, it just looked like a slowball.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Adam Dunn is going to be the first player untainted by PED allegations/evidence to reach 500 career HR's and not make it into the HOF. We are witnessing history!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Adam Dunn is going to be the first player untainted by PED allegations/evidence to reach 500 career HR's and not make it into the HOF.
I'd never thought about that. I think he's got an outside shot at the hall. It's not likely, but he was one of the game's best power hitters for the better part of a decade.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Ahh, love the fog.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
I'd never thought about that. I think he's got an outside shot at the hall. It's not likely, but he was one of the game's best power hitters for the better part of a decade.
Agreed; but so was Dave Kingman. Not gonna happen.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 AM
WSI High Priest

That was a pretty cool game to be at in person, both literally and figuratively. When we were driving in, we saw the fog hanging over the downtown area, but I never thought it would make its way down to the Cell. We were mostly underdressed for how cool and damp it got when the fog rolled in, as when we left the 'burbs, it was very warm and humid. But we stayed for the full game, including the fog delay. During the delay, we wandered over to the Chicago Sports Depot, where I found a Pierzynski tshirt at on clearance for $10. That made me happy - my son lost his several years ago and now he has it again.

The tribute to Buehrle was great, and I saw plenty of Buehrle shirts in the crowd (including mine under my Sale jersey).

Not one of Axelrod's better starts, and he seemed to not be sharp at all after the fog delay. I thought Beckham's base running brain fart was a sign that it was going to be one of "those" games. Thank heavens for Adam Dunn (haven't had a chance to say *that* very often), and the rest of the Sox offense rising to the occasion. Fireworks in the fog is fun! <-- that would be my TBGR headline. I really don't know how the outfielders could see the ball in the last 2 innings.

Alexei's play in the 8th to get that last out was stellar. Speaking of defense - thanks to the Jays defense for those 3 extra runs in the 8th. We then got a chance to see if Reed could pitch in a non-save situation - and he did great.

Question: what the heck is with the large number of Toronto fans? There was a big vocal group behind the visitor's dugout (of course), but also several other groups scattered throughout the park.

Got out of the game after midnight, but flew home (almost no traffic), riding high on a 3-game winning streak. A great evening at the Cell!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 AM
WSI High Priest

This was the first fog delay for the White Sox in 17 years according to Tom Skilling.

It was interesting to flip the channels yesterday and see foggy games on both sides of town.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
This was the first fog delay for the White Sox in 17 years according to Tom Skilling.

It was interesting to flip the channels yesterday and see foggy games on both sides of town.
I was at a Monday night game in the old park at the end of May in 1976 where there were intermittent fog delays, but nothing as long as last night's delay. The Rangers were helped by the fog in scoring two in the top of the first off of Pete Vukovich, but the Sox came back to score three in the bottom of the inning. Bucky Dent, the No. 3 hitter in Paul Richards' lineup, looked like he was going to tie the game off of Nelson Briles with a drive to the wall in left that no one could see until Tom Grieve leaped and pulled it down. Then with the bases loaded and two outs, Chet Lemon hit a pop up to short left center that no one could see. That went for a triple. After that, the intermittent delays started. It was a fun game to attend.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM
WSI Personality

Default Foggy Notion

Courtesy of Lou Reed:

Well I got a foggy notion,
Do it again
Over by the corner,
Do it again
I got my calamine lotion baby,
Do it again
I got a foggy notion,
Do it again
Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 AM
WSI Guru

How about Foggy Mountain Breakdown?

The fog reminded me of the game agaist the Rangers in either 76 or 77. What was really weird was the fog seemed to clear up when Texas was hitting and rolled back in when the Sox were.

The umps let the game go on and Texas simply couldn't see anytime the Sox hit the ball.

Lip
Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Dunn doing his best Mickey Mantle impression again .. i don't care what his numbers are, i sure miss number 56 .. also,fog always creeps me out after a near collision off of cape hatteras one night, but it was a fun game to watch .. i suppose that it's always fun when we win..
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
Question: what the heck is with the large number of Toronto fans? There was a big vocal group behind the visitor's dugout (of course), but also several other groups scattered throughout the park.
Toronto has a population of over 5 million people and is only a 2 hour flight away. I would expect to see just as many Toronto fans coming as from any other large city.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:24 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Toronto has a population of over 5 million people and is only a 2 hour flight away. I would expect to see just as many Toronto fans coming as from any other large city.
I'm more surprised to see any of them care about baseball
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I was at a Monday night game in the old park at the end of May in 1976 where there were intermittent fog delays, but nothing as long as last night's delay. The Rangers were helped by the fog in scoring two in the top of the first off of Pete Vukovich, but the Sox came back to score three in the bottom of the inning. Bucky Dent, the No. 3 hitter in Paul Richards' lineup, looked like he was going to tie the game off of Nelson Briles with a drive to the wall in left that no one could see until Tom Grieve leaped and pulled it down. Then with the bases loaded and two outs, Chet Lemon hit a pop up to short left center that no one could see. That went for a triple. After that, the intermittent delays started. It was a fun game to attend.
I was at that game as well and it was strange and fun. Fans booed when it was announced that the game would be stopped when the fog got too bad. Poor Grieve. On Lemon's pop-up, he looked completely helpless. When the ball landed, it just laid there because the grass was so wet from two days of rain. Everybody in the stands saw the ball in the outfield grass. It took a while for Grieve to find it.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 AM
WSI High Priest

It was an odd nite at the ole ballpark...wish I had been there in person to experience it.

I love strange nites at the ballpark,when weather or other factors create a unique circumstance....like a 2 hr rain delay and by the end of the game you are one of only a handful of fans down by home plate talking to the players.

Glad the Sox made it special last nite by rallying for the home folks.

And yes,it was weird to have both teams in town at the same time,playing at the same time,and dealing with the same strange fog.

Cubs played thru worse conditions than the Sox last nite for some reason...the umps for the Cubs did not think it was bad enough I guess.