White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

It was time for AJ to go, but I hope all the people who claimed he was an awful defensive catcher are paying close attention to Flowers, who redefines "awful" behind the plate. He has truly horrid fundamentals (as on the failed backhand on that wild pitch in the 10th) and poor hand-eye coordination (as on the passed ball in the 2nd). Even pop-ups are an adventure with him.

AJ was outstanding at blocking balls in the dirt, which is an underrated virtue especially in late innings when relievers need to wipe hitters out with sinkers low or out of the strike zone.

This isn't to hang the loss on Flowers. There's plenty of suckitude to go around. Beckham should've spent another game or two in the minors to work on his baserunning.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:38 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm not sure Sanchez is viewed as a legitimate option at SS (I have never seen him play, just basing that opinion on scouting reports I read). I honestly don't think there is a real SS option on this team for Alexei, it would have to come from outside the organization.
Have you forgotten Beckham was a shortstop and a damned good one until
the great Ozzie decided to switch him and Ramirez?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:40 AM
WSI High Priest

A.J. is having a good year, just saying...

Bring up Phegley, he can't be any worse and that .980 OPS looks pretty tasty, even for AAA.

Kenny should admit he was duped by Flowers PED-enhanced season and a few good weeks in the AFL.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrouch View Post
Have you forgotten Beckham was a shortstop and a damned good one until
the great Ozzie decided to switch him and Ramirez?
Lack of range and a slow first step at SS was the reason he was moved, and it was an organizational decision, not one by Ozzie. Ramirez is a much more toolsy defensive SS, despite the frequent brain cramps.

IMO, they should have left Beckham at 3B.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:47 AM
WSI Personality

It's funny that when Dunn is hitting homers nobody gives him any credit , but as soon as he strikes out a few times a game it's time to dump him. He's the only hitter in the lineup that is anywhere near a 100 RBI level guy. Yeah, his average is deplorable, he hasn't even been close to living up to that contract, but the Sox would be about 15-20 under without his RBI's. I see other players as being much more of the problem than Dunn, if he is one. When they got him everyone was on board mostly, and we all knew we were getting a high strikeout, walk sometimes, homer run or bust guy. It's the average that is the mystery, as he was usually a mid 200 guy before.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

Kenny should admit he was duped by Flowers PED-enhanced season and a few good weeks in the AFL.
Which season was that?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Who called for a slider to Bautista when high heat would have ended the game? (see above) Dunn had the right idea when he grounded out to end the game. If he hits a ground ball down the line, two runs score and you have a tie game.

Yo soy muy Troncoso. (If it's not a word, it oughta be.)
I am disappointed to learn this morning that Reed suffered a blown save. Addison has been pitching well (I think he has had two blown saves so far this year?)

I am equally disappointed to see the Sox play bad defense. Alexei is the most frustrating to watch (for me) because he can make a spectacular play and then he spaces out and makes a bad play.

Also, I am not happy with Viciedo's offense and defense so far this year. Still rooting for Dayan to get it together. Maybe I am too hard on my fellow Cubans but I know they are both talented and I hate to see them play poorly.

Looking for a good game from Sale/Sox tonight to win the series. Go Sox!
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrouch View Post
Have you forgotten Beckham was a shortstop and a damned good one until the great Ozzie decided to switch him and Ramirez?
Um, Beckham has never played SS for the White Sox

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
It's funny that when Dunn is hitting homers nobody gives him any credit , but as soon as he strikes out a few times a game it's time to dump him. He's the only hitter in the lineup that is anywhere near a 100 RBI level guy. Yeah, his average is deplorable, he hasn't even been close to living up to that contract, but the Sox would be about 15-20 under without his RBI's. I see other players as being much more of the problem than Dunn, if he is one. When they got him everyone was on board mostly, and we all knew we were getting a high strikeout, walk sometimes, homer run or bust guy. It's the average that is the mystery, as he was usually a mid 200 guy before.
Yes.

On top of what you wrote, Dunn is the MOST watchable hitter on the team. Good or bad, he's compelling, which can't be said for anyone else, with the exception of Rios.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
A.J. is having a good year, just saying...

Bring up Phegley, he can't be any worse and that .980 OPS looks pretty tasty, even for AAA.

Yeah, except that narrative doesn't fit at all with Flowers' minor league track, he was a solid hitter for 4 seasons and cracked the BA Top 100 twice. He was much more than a flash in the pan who only had 1 successful campaign in the minors (unlike say, Josh Phegley?)

This is just the nature of prospects. We could acquire the Top 5 prospects in baseball and we'd be lucky if 1 of them turned out to be a decent, everyday MLB player. That's just the way it works.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 AM
WSI Personality

If Flowers was any good he would have started in place of AJ long ago.

If Phegley was any good on defense, he would have been brought up already.

I don't understand JR anymore. Is his reluctance to make changes loyalty or is it just old man laziness?

Our problems start at the top of the organization and filter down to the mess we see on the field.

Come on JR, be the man you can be, or if you are too old, then get the hell out of the way, you got your WS ring you always wanted.

Let some new blood kickstart this franchise, we are an embarresment.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Who called for a slider to Bautista when high heat would have ended the game? (see above)
Not sure what "see above" means, but Mark Parent calls pitches from the dugout. Flowers was setting up low and away and Reed hung a slider belt-high over the plate.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck View Post
which season was that?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kenny View Post
I don't understand JR anymore. Is his reluctance to make changes loyalty or is it just old man laziness?
You think he's been making the day-to-day roster moves for this team?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
You think that's bad? Just wait until Wise commits an error in the outfield. You won't hear the end of it no matter what else he does.