White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

Taylor:

I also will never take the 2005 title for granted...with the White Sox that's as rare an accomplishment as a republican being elected mayor of the city of Chicago.

It is a shame however that organizations like the Marlins have won more World Series in a decade than the Sox have in almost a 100 year span and that every one of the original pre expansion franchises save for the Sox have actually made the post season in consecutive years.

Baseball is a funny game isn't it?

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 PM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Taylor:

I also will never take the 2005 title for granted...with the White Sox that's as rare an accomplishment as a republican being elected mayor of the city of Chicago.

It is a shame however that organizations like the Marlins have won more World Series in a decade than the Sox have in almost a 100 year span and that every one of the original pre expansion franchises save for the Sox have actually made the post season in consecutive years.

Baseball is a funny game isn't it?

Lip
They're tied with the Red Sox too. It is a funny game.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 PM
MISoxfan MISoxfan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 887
Default

I wish we had a low BA high power offense, it would beat what we have now. It's a tough season when Alejandro De Aza has been your second most productive hitter.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
BainesHOF BainesHOF is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 2,907
Default

Hemond was a great GM. He made astute trades. You don't have to just trade a veteran for a minor leaguer and hope it pays off down the road. An astute GM can receive major league talent in return. You improve by receiving more than you give up. If you do that enough, you're back in business. Of course, in order to trade successfully, you have to be a good talent evaluator. The Sox haven't even been able to evaluate talent to have average success in the draft for quite a long time now. That was Williams' downfall more than anything. It was comical to see the organizational promotions of a couple years ago of some people responsible for evaluating talent. They should have been fired.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Taylor:

I also will never take the 2005 title for granted...with the White Sox that's as rare an accomplishment as a republican being elected mayor of the city of Chicago.

It is a shame however that organizations like the Marlins have won more World Series in a decade than the Sox have in almost a 100 year span and that every one of the original pre expansion franchises save for the Sox have actually made the post season in consecutive years.

Baseball is a funny game isn't it?

Lip
The Marlins won more titles because they had a guy in charge who was/is one of the best GMs in baseball. We don't have that.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,998
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Guys, the Marlins just got lucky. They've made the playoffs twice and won the World Series both times. That's just good luck. But you can't logically throw the Marlins into the mix as "oh, why can't the Sox win like them?" and then turn around and complain that the Sox don't make the postseason enough because, uh, the Sox have made the playoffs more times than the Marlins since they were founded.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

There is truth in this but it's also true the Sox have played 112 seasons compared to the Marlins 20. I certainly would hope that the Sox would have made the playoffs more often given that they've had 92 more seasons to do so.

The comments got me to thinking so I did a little basic math, hope the figures are right.

The Marlins made the post season twice in 20 years, an average of once every 10 years.

The Sox have made the postseason nine times in 112 seasons an average of once every 18.5 years. I did not count the Sox winning the 1900 championship because at that time baseball didn't recognize the American League as a 'major' league or the number would have changed.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:31 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,998
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
There is truth in this but it's also true the Sox have played 112 seasons compared to the Marlins 20. I certainly would hope that the Sox would have made the playoffs more often given that they've had 92 more seasons to do so.

The comments got me to thinking so I did a little basic math, hope the figures are right.

The Marlins made the post season twice in 20 years, an average of once every 10 years.

The Sox have made the postseason nine times in 112 seasons an average of once every 18.5 years. I did not count the Sox winning the 1900 championship because at that time baseball didn't recognize the American League as a 'major' league or the number would have changed.

Lip
I think that's a little misleading because A) the Marlins have played almost exclusively in the Wild Card era which has opened up postseason play. The bottom line is still that when comparing the two teams over an equal amount of time, the Sox have made more postseason appearances than the Marlins. Which leads to point B) who gives a **** about what happened in say... 1930? (Hint: Answer is nobody)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
There is truth in this but it's also true the Sox have played 112 seasons compared to the Marlins 20. I certainly would hope that the Sox would have made the playoffs more often given that they've had 92 more seasons to do so.

The comments got me to thinking so I did a little basic math, hope the figures are right.

The Marlins made the post season twice in 20 years, an average of once every 10 years.

The Sox have made the postseason nine times in 112 seasons an average of once every 18.5 years. I did not count the Sox winning the 1900 championship because at that time baseball didn't recognize the American League as a 'major' league or the number would have changed.

Lip
Lip, 112 divided by 9 is 12.44. A little bit better than 18.5
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

You're right Nell. Typo plus the fact that I just got up right before trying to figure this out.

It should be 12.5 years.

Double:

If nobody cares why does MLB keep those records? Obviously SOMEBODY does.

I really wish we could just get along Double, it's really getting exhausting going through **** like this seemingly in every single ****ing post with you.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,998
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You're right Nell. Typo plus the fact that I just got up right before trying to figure this out.

It should be 12.5 years.

Double:

If nobody cares why does MLB keep those records? Obviously SOMEBODY does.

I really wish we could just get along Double, it's really getting exhausting going through **** like this seemingly in every single ****ing post with you.

Lip
The point is do you sit up and toss and turn at night that the Sox finished last in the AL in 1931? No? Then what difference does it make. They're just numbers on paper at this point. I'm not going to get too emotionally invested in that.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I think that's a little misleading because A) the Marlins have played almost exclusively in the Wild Card era which has opened up postseason play. The bottom line is still that when comparing the two teams over an equal amount of time, the Sox have made more postseason appearances than the Marlins. Which leads to point B) who gives a **** about what happened in say... 1930? (Hint: Answer is nobody)
Very misleading. The Marlins were the Wild Card both times they won. They have never won a division. Since the Wild Card Era, like you posted,the Sox have made the playoffs more often than the Marlins. In fact, the Sox have made the playoffs more often than the Marlins have in their history since the period after the Marlins first title, and have made the playoffs as much as the Marlins have in their history since the Marlins last appearance.

Last edited by dickallen15; 06-18-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-18-2013, 02:03 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,861
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The point is do you sit up and toss and turn at night that the Sox finished last in the AL in 1931? No? Then what difference does it make. They're just numbers on paper at this point. I'm not going to get too emotionally invested in that.
I think if you were a Yankee fan you would be damn proud of their 27 World Series Championships, some of them won in the 20s and 30s. I feel damn good about the Sox beating the Cubs in the 1906 World Series and always bring it up to Cub fans when I want to give them a little dig.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,998
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I think if you were a Yankee fan you would be damn proud of their 27 World Series Championships, some of them won in the 20s and 30s. I feel damn good about the Sox beating the Cubs in the 1906 World Series and always bring it up to Cub fans when I want to give them a little dig.
Hm, if I want to dig at Cub fans I bring up this and this first, not something that happened 107 years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-18-2013, 02:33 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I think if you were a Yankee fan you would be damn proud of their 27 World Series Championships, some of them won in the 20s and 30s. I feel damn good about the Sox beating the Cubs in the 1906 World Series and always bring it up to Cub fans when I want to give them a little dig.
Most Cubs fans probably can't even count back that far. Why would you bring up something so irrelevant just to win an argument with Cubs fans. They're nothing.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.