White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I appreciate the research, but this Sox team has no chance to contend, even in this division. It's a horrible team. I wouldn't waste my time entertaining such delusions. This isn't a good team playing badly. It's just a bad team.
Agreed. ...and this bad team didn't just happen by accident. It took many years of bad trades and having a lousy farm system for them to sink to this level. There's really no point IMO in worrying about how many wins they need to catch up to Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCIASOXFAN View Post
Bad to say but at this point I hope they do finish like that to lock in a top 5 pick.
That doesn't give me much comfort at all. It's not like the Sox have been masters at drafting players that turn into above average major leaguers.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
I don't think SMO is saying the Sox can win it, he's just showing how bad off the Sox are.
You are correct, sir.

SMO
Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post

That doesn't give me much comfort at all. It's not like the Sox have been masters at drafting players that turn into above average major leaguers.
The only high first round picks the Sox have had recently are Sale and Beckham. I don't know about you, but I'll take 'em.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The only high first round picks the Sox have had recently are Sale and Beckham. I don't know about you, but I'll take 'em.
The latter is looking like a career utility IF. That's not good enough for a top 10 pick.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The latter is looking like a career utility IF. That's not good enough for a top 10 pick.
He's just one guy, but maybe Sale is a sign that things are improving for the Sox as far as draft picks are concerned. I agree with Dspivack that Beckham hasn't turned out that great.

Regardless of the Sox track record, i'm finding little solace in us being bad enough to get a top 5 pick. Even among competent teams, it's far from a sure thing to have top picks pan out.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I don't know man, by WAR, Beckham is already the 14th best 8th overall pick in the history of the Draft...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/dr...e=overall_pick

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't know man, by WAR, Beckham is already the 14th best 8th overall pick in the history of the Draft...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/dr...e=overall_pick
14/49 is the top third, mostly due to a good first season offensively and good defense for years. He's still bad enough to not be a good long-term answer at the position. I look at him as a mostly failed pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
He's just one guy, but maybe Sale is a sign that things are improving for the Sox as far as draft picks are concerned. I agree with Dspivack that Beckham hasn't turned out that great.

Regardless of the Sox track record, i'm finding little solace in us being bad enough to get a top 5 pick. Even among competent teams, it's far from a sure thing to have top picks pan out.
I hope so, but to say that now seems premature. We'll see if any of the toolsy OFs work out, but a lot work in the minors remains to be done if the overall organizational talent is to improve.