White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I appreciate the research, but this Sox team has no chance to contend, even in this division. It's a horrible team. I wouldn't waste my time entertaining such delusions. This isn't a good team playing badly. It's just a bad team.
Agreed. ...and this bad team didn't just happen by accident. It took many years of bad trades and having a lousy farm system for them to sink to this level. There's really no point IMO in worrying about how many wins they need to catch up to Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCIASOXFAN View Post
Bad to say but at this point I hope they do finish like that to lock in a top 5 pick.
That doesn't give me much comfort at all. It's not like the Sox have been masters at drafting players that turn into above average major leaguers.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:44 PM
StillMissOzzie StillMissOzzie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 5,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
I don't think SMO is saying the Sox can win it, he's just showing how bad off the Sox are.
You are correct, sir.


SMO
__________________
2014 tally: x 2, x 1
COTC Record: 1 - 1 (lifetime)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post

That doesn't give me much comfort at all. It's not like the Sox have been masters at drafting players that turn into above average major leaguers.
The only high first round picks the Sox have had recently are Sale and Beckham. I don't know about you, but I'll take 'em.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is online now
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The only high first round picks the Sox have had recently are Sale and Beckham. I don't know about you, but I'll take 'em.
The latter is looking like a career utility IF. That's not good enough for a top 10 pick.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The only high first round picks the Sox have had recently are Sale and Beckham. I don't know about you, but I'll take 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The latter is looking like a career utility IF. That's not good enough for a top 10 pick.
He's just one guy, but maybe Sale is a sign that things are improving for the Sox as far as draft picks are concerned. I agree with Dspivack that Beckham hasn't turned out that great.

Regardless of the Sox track record, i'm finding little solace in us being bad enough to get a top 5 pick. Even among competent teams, it's far from a sure thing to have top picks pan out.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,935
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The latter is looking like a career utility IF. That's not good enough for a top 10 pick.
I don't know man, by WAR, Beckham is already the 14th best 8th overall pick in the history of the Draft...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/dr...e=overall_pick
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is online now
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't know man, by WAR, Beckham is already the 14th best 8th overall pick in the history of the Draft...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/dr...e=overall_pick
14/49 is the top third, mostly due to a good first season offensively and good defense for years. He's still bad enough to not be a good long-term answer at the position. I look at him as a mostly failed pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
He's just one guy, but maybe Sale is a sign that things are improving for the Sox as far as draft picks are concerned. I agree with Dspivack that Beckham hasn't turned out that great.

Regardless of the Sox track record, i'm finding little solace in us being bad enough to get a top 5 pick. Even among competent teams, it's far from a sure thing to have top picks pan out.
I hope so, but to say that now seems premature. We'll see if any of the toolsy OFs work out, but a lot work in the minors remains to be done if the overall organizational talent is to improve.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.