White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,930
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Seattle traded one of their best pitchers to Detroit a few years ago for a bunch of prospects. One of the so called top prospects they received was Casper Wells. To trade Sale for prospects is crazy.
They traded a Floyd to Detroit for those prospects.
  #77  
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They traded a Floyd to Detroit for those prospects.
It was Doug Fister.
__________________
  #78  
Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, the biggest single haul I can remember a team getting was when the Tigers traded top Top 10 prospects to Miami for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis, and for those of you who think swapping the proven Sale for a ton of prospects that will help this rebuild, buyer beware, the two top prospects Detroit let go in that deal were Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller... A pair of guys who have turned out to do absolutely nothing in the Majors.
The Mark Teixeira trade worked out very well for Texas, but that was a few years ago now.

As for Cabrera, I still remember a thread that the Sox were very close to acquiring him.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
  #79  
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,106
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
As for Cabrera, I still remember a thread that the Sox were very close to acquiring him.
KW was very close. The deal for Cabrera was all but worked out and then the Marlins demanded that Dontrelle Willis and his awful contract be included in the deal. The Tigers were willing to accept it and the Sox weren't. The Tigers got nothing out of Willis and Cabrera was banged up and out of shape his first year in Detroit. However, there is no arguing that the trade came up aces for them in the long run.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
  #80  
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,177
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The Mark Teixeira trade worked out very well for Texas, but that was a few years ago now.

As for Cabrera, I still remember a thread that the Sox were very close to acquiring him.
You're right, that's true, that deal was great for the Rangers. I would think one major difference, however, between Teixeira and Sale is that Sale is locked up under team control until 2019 and the Rangers were more or less forced to deal Teixeira because they knew they would lose him in 1-2 years so better to get something than nothing and they ended up with a big haul that worked out well for them.

The "What If" Cabrera to the Sox deal still haunts me.
__________________
  #81  
Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 AM
#1swisher #1swisher is offline
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,618
Default

Rios has the right to block a trade to six teams, Yankees, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Astros, Royals and Athletics.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2614147.story
__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
  #82  
Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Rios has the right to block a trade to six team, Yankees, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Astros, Royals and Athletics.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2614147.story
It would be hilariously awesome to trade him back to Toronto.
  #83  
Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Well it's a good thing then that a rebuild won't take 5 years.
I continue to be baffled that so many people believe it will take the Sox four or five years to return to contention.

This year is obviously cooked, and I'm pretty sure (but not 100 percent sure) the Sox won't be very good next year either. But I wouldn't rule out having a good team again by 2015. It just depends on the moves Hahn makes over the next 18 months or so.

The Sox aren't going to do the same thing they're doing on the other side of town, nor should they. I hear people grump all the time about the Sox "not having a plan." Well, how do we know they don't have a plan? I'm sure they do have a plan; they just don't feel compelled to announce it to the whole world.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 7-9; Total: 125-99.
Next game: April 2015

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

  #84  
Old 07-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,106
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I continue to be baffled that so many people believe it will take the Sox four or five years to return to contention.

This year is obviously cooked, and I'm pretty sure (but not 100 percent sure) the Sox won't be very good next year either. But I wouldn't rule out having a good team again by 2015. It just depends on the moves Hahn makes over the next 18 months or so.

The Sox aren't going to do the same thing they're doing on the other side of town, nor should they. I hear people grump all the time about the Sox "not having a plan." Well, how do we know they don't have a plan? I'm sure they do have a plan; they just don't feel compelled to announce it to the whole world.
I wouldn't even rule out 2014. Baseball is so unpredictable which is part of what makes it a great game. Nobody saw the Sox being contenders last year and they were. The Blue Jays, Dodgers, and Angels were supposed to run away with everything this year and not one of them is above .500. I will reserve judgment on 2014 until I see what moves Hahn makes.
  #85  
Old 07-03-2013, 02:27 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I continue to be baffled that so many people believe it will take the Sox four or five years to return to contention.

This year is obviously cooked, and I'm pretty sure (but not 100 percent sure) the Sox won't be very good next year either. But I wouldn't rule out having a good team again by 2015. It just depends on the moves Hahn makes over the next 18 months or so.

The Sox aren't going to do the same thing they're doing on the other side of town, nor should they. I hear people grump all the time about the Sox "not having a plan." Well, how do we know they don't have a plan? I'm sure they do have a plan; they just don't feel compelled to announce it to the whole world.
I think it really depends on how you define contention. If you want to get back to 81 win teams with + or - 7 potential year in and year out, then yeah. They could probably pull that off in 3 or 4 years, 2 if they do everything perfect and get really lucky on a few pickups. But if you're going to blow it up, why wouldn't you do it proper and take the time to be a legitimate contender instead of a team that needs a lot of luck and poor competition to be in it? I know that's how we've been run recently but that's not a good model. It's not even the model of the 2005 team, which had a very good core that was the culmination of several years worth of drafts and shrewd trading.
  #86  
Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I think it really depends on how you define contention. If you want to get back to 81 win teams with + or - 7 potential year in and year out, then yeah. They could probably pull that off in 3 or 4 years, 2 if they do everything perfect and get really lucky on a few pickups. But if you're going to blow it up, why wouldn't you do it proper and take the time to be a legitimate contender instead of a team that needs a lot of luck and poor competition to be in it? I know that's how we've been run recently but that's not a good model. It's not even the model of the 2005 team, which had a very good core that was the culmination of several years worth of drafts and shrewd trading.
You and I have a vastly different definition of what is "proper."
  #87  
Old 07-03-2013, 02:38 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
why wouldn't you do it proper
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
You and I have a vastly different definition of what is "proper."
Also on what qualifies as an adverb or adjective.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

This is the one thing I agree with munch on though. It's going to take more than one or two years to have a truly competitive team. I think it goes beyond just the current batch of players throughout the system, the Sox need to not only re-stock on talent on the major league roster but the entire organizational approach needs overhauling. A truly competitive team needs to be able to call up guys mid season as needed who can at least play sound baseball. You can't just add a few quality players and hope they can carry the team. Well, you could, but it doesn't seem like the way to go.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk

Last edited by TheVulture; 07-03-2013 at 02:45 PM.
  #88  
Old 07-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 3,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I wouldn't even rule out 2014. Baseball is so unpredictable which is part of what makes it a great game. Nobody saw the Sox being contenders last year and they were. The Blue Jays, Dodgers, and Angels were supposed to run away with everything this year and not one of them is above .500. I will reserve judgment on 2014 until I see what moves Hahn makes.
I'm not ruling out 2014 either. With a decent starting rotation and bullpen, which the Sox have and the fact that their are 2 wildcards now, you really can't be completely out of it to start the season. I also feel that the AL in general is stale right now. For the first time in a really long time, I would say the NL is the stronger league. The Sox don't have to be the top team in the Central, just in the top 1/3 of the AL. That being said, the key is to restrain yourself from messing up 2015 onward in the name of contending in 2014.
__________________
What is Mind? -- Doesn't Matter!
What is Matter? -- Never Mind!
-Homer Simpson
  #89  
Old 07-03-2013, 03:00 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,229
Default

Hey, Konerko out of the lineup again!

Tough to trade pieces when few of them are healthy enough to play.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #90  
Old 07-03-2013, 03:04 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Hey, Konerko out of the lineup again!

Tough to trade pieces when few of them are healthy enough to play.
I never really thought of Konerko as a real trade piece, anyway. I'm more worried about Crain in that regard.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.