White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Grooming him to replace Ventura.
Entirely possible
Old 07-02-2013, 03:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Next they can hire Jermaine Dye. Then when Konerko retires, they can have Konerko, Dye, and Thome characters race around the warning track to replace Fisk, Kittle and Baines.

Evidently...!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I don't get it. What's his function, to get Hahn coffee?
His job will be to rearrange the deck chairs.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Maybe he can teach our minor leaguers some goddamn plate discipline, because the guys on the major league club sure as hell don't know how to take a pitch.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 PM
WSI Personality

Neat.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:03 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't understand the mentality here that if a guy once played for our organization, he has nothing to offer. Thome is well loved around baseball and is a future hall of famer. I would have to think that he has *something* to offer as far as insight into the game.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I don't understand the mentality here that if a guy once played for our organization, he has nothing to offer. Thome is well loved around baseball and is a future hall of famer. I would have to think that he has *something* to offer as far as insight into the game.
That mentality exists because it seems like the Sox have more or less refused to hire anyone from outside of the organization. The only ones that come to mind of late are Marco Paddy and Mark Parent. Many of their hires seem to be more about loyalty in their organization and taking care of their own than they do in putting the organization in the best chance to succeed. Team ambassadors or someone sitting in a studio, who cares. But in terms of positions that truly matter, from the front office to the coaching staff, is a whole 'nother matter.

On an individual level that means less than it does overall. Perhaps Thome will succeed in his role, who knows. But overall the White Sox are clearly loyal to a fault.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondock saint View Post
maybe he can teach our minor leaguers some goddamn plate discipline, because the guys on the major league club sure as hell don't know how to take a pitch.
+1

Just looks like another insider hire.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

The more that comes out about this, the more it sounds like you can take the teal off of that Grooming him to take over for Ventura line. Supposedly, today Reinsdorf said that Thome will make a great manager someday. Don't know if we just don't end up in the same boat with an inexperienced manager again, but at least we'd have one with a little more enthusiasm for the job.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
The more that comes out about this, the more it sounds like you can take the teal off of that Grooming him to take over for Ventura line. Supposedly, today Reinsdorf said that Thome will make a great manager someday. Don't know if we just don't end up in the same boat with an inexperienced manager again, but at least we'd have one with a little more enthusiasm for the job.
But there's no way he directly succeeds Ventura, though. Bringing in Ventura's replacement for a nebulous job while RV is still in charge would undermine the Sox professionally as long as JR owns the team. Just bringing him in a 'special assistant that works with players' sorta undermines the whole coaching staff as it is. Either his role is being overstated or the Sox are terrible at handling hiring and firing. Or both.

I really don't get it. If you want him to coach, hire him as a coach. If you want him in the front office, give him a front office gig. His named position and activity are incongruous.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
But there's no way he directly succeeds Ventura, though. Bringing in Ventura's replacement for a nebulous job while RV is still in charge would undermine the Sox professionally as long as JR owns the team.
I'll admit I'm no business genius, but I don't see how that would undermined the Sox professionally.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I'll admit I'm no business genius, but I don't see how that would undermined the Sox professionally.
Bringing in your replacement under supposedly non-threatening pretenses while you're still working there? If would make the Sox a very unattractive employer, if they aren't already.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, I don't get how he's going to be a special assistant to Hahn and yet he's saying how he's going to help coach. Which is it? As if it matters.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

What this says to me is how much the players love the organization to "want" to come back and work for the Sox. Jim Thome is incredibly well respected and probably could have gotten a job anywhere. He chose here. It's obvious he enjoyed his time here.
And for the "replace RV" talk, when that time comes there's one name I for one would love as a manager: AJ.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
That mentality exists because it seems like the Sox have more or less refused to hire anyone from outside of the organization. The only ones that come to mind of late are Marco Paddy and Mark Parent. Many of their hires seem to be more about loyalty in their organization and taking care of their own than they do in putting the organization in the best chance to succeed. Team ambassadors or someone sitting in a studio, who cares. But in terms of positions that truly matter, from the front office to the coaching staff, is a whole 'nother matter.

On an individual level that means less than it does overall. Perhaps Thome will succeed in his role, who knows. But overall the White Sox are clearly loyal to a fault.
Joe McEwing, Jeff Manto, Razor Shines, Juan Nieves, Jeff Cox . . . I can keep going. I understand your point -- The Sox seem to hire a lot of their former players as coaches -- more so than other clubs. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. But they also hire from outside their organization.