White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-04-2013, 10:27 AM
jamokes jamokes is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mokena,IL
Posts: 571
Default Sox fans demographics

Maybe demographics isn't the right word to use but I'm amazed to watch, compare fans at other parks to our fans in the good seats.

You watch Homer Bailey pitch the no hitter the other night and you watch the fans they show on tv and almost all the seats are taken and the average age of those fans looks to be 40+ ish. Same thing in Boston.

Then you watch our games at the Cell and our fan base in the seats is nothing like other teams. We have lots of kids.....why is this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 AM
LITTLE NELL's Avatar
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,597
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamokes View Post
Maybe demographics isn't the right word to use but I'm amazed to watch, compare fans at other parks to our fans in the good seats.

You watch Homer Bailey pitch the no hitter the other night and you watch the fans they show on tv and almost all the seats are taken and the average age of those fans looks to be 40+ ish. Same thing in Boston.

Then you watch our games at the Cell and our fan base in the seats is nothing like other teams. We have lots of kids.....why is this?
Kids are not a bad thing as they will become adult Sox fans as will their kids.
Do you know how many kids went to Wrigley Field back in the 50s and 60s because they played day ball and Wrigley was easy to get to, quite a few and they grew up remained Cub fans and continued to go to Wrigley as adults and their kids will do the same thing. It did not help that the Cubs had WGN TV all to themselves after 1967 and kids would come home from school and catch the last few innings of a game. I did all that but I was born a Sox fan and remained a Sox fan.
All that being said I haven't noticed that many kids at Sox games unless you are just looking at Family Sunday's.
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2013, 11:05 AM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,689
Default

I would assume most the big time corporations have Cubs instead of Sox tickets leaving prime seats available to non-corporate season ticket holders.

Kids are good for business because there's usually more than one in a group and they spend other people's (their parents) money.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamokes View Post
Maybe demographics isn't the right word to use but I'm amazed to watch, compare fans at other parks to our fans in the good seats.

You watch Homer Bailey pitch the no hitter the other night and you watch the fans they show on tv and almost all the seats are taken and the average age of those fans looks to be 40+ ish. Same thing in Boston.

Then you watch our games at the Cell and our fan base in the seats is nothing like other teams. We have lots of kids.....why is this?
Kids love churros.


Actually, Sox tickets are less expensive than Cub tickets. Parking is easier and more convenient at Sox games. Fundamentals Deck. No drunk trixies and Chads. Video scoreboard. When was the last time a chunk of cement almost fell on a kid's head at Comiskey?
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Kids love churros.


Actually, Sox tickets are less expensive than Cub tickets. Parking is easier and more convenient at Sox games. Fundamentals Deck. No drunk trixies and Chads. Video scoreboard. When was the last time a chunk of cement almost fell on a kid's head at Comiskey?
That part is not true. Just walk the outfield concourse and you'll see plenty of them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 PM
ChicagoG19 ChicagoG19 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Archer Heights, Chicago, IL
Posts: 984
Default

My guess is the season ticket holders are not showing up to games and the kids are sneaking into the good seats. I know I did that when I was a kid.
__________________
2014 Sox Attendance Record - 0 - 1.

Anticipated next game: 4/26 vs. Tampa Bay
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 PM
all*star quentin all*star quentin is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: White Sox USA
Posts: 3,405
Default

What I've noticed, is that the ST holder now has grandchildren. You'll notice them more when there is a day game.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-04-2013, 04:34 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
That part is not true. Just walk the outfield concourse and you'll see plenty of them.
Those aren't trixies and Chads, however. Comiskey is south of Division Street.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-04-2013, 10:34 PM
BleacherBandit BleacherBandit is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 2,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Those aren't trixies and Chads, however. Comiskey is south of Division Street.
There are plenty of White Sox fans that I find insufferable. I prefer not to generalize by location those I dislike.
__________________

"Remember Abner"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2013, 01:25 AM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,782
Default

The Sox make a concerted effort to appeal to young fans and have done so for a long time. That is definitely good for the long term health of the franchise.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-05-2013, 01:50 AM
MUsoxfan MUsoxfan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Romeoville, IL
Posts: 9,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
I would assume most the big time corporations have Cubs instead of Sox tickets leaving prime seats available to non-corporate season ticket holders.

Kids are good for business because there's usually more than one in a group and they spend other people's (their parents) money.

While true, many of the prime seats at the Cell are corporate. However, even corporations are having a hard time getting customers to take them for free and as a result you have the corporate employee with his children in those great seats.


Customers have been asking for Hawks tickets. Now they're just holding off for football and hockey season again
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 AM
October26 October26 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 3,549
Blog Entries: 5
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
The Sox make a concerted effort to appeal to young fans and have done so for a long time. That is definitely good for the long term health of the franchise.

Yes, the Sox sure have and I agree that this is good for the future of the franchise.
__________________
2014 - Love my compatriots: Adrian, Alexei, Jose, and Dayan;
thanks for the pic, ChiSoxGal85!!!!
October26 - Thank you to the 2005 World Series Champions Chicago White Sox!
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 17,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBandit View Post
There are plenty of White Sox fans that I find insufferable. I prefer not to generalize by location those I dislike.
Stand out on the OF concourse for a while, for example, during a crowded game. As insufferable as the packed Wrigley bleachers.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Those aren't trixies and Chads, however. Comiskey is south of Division Street.
Once in a while they get lost I think and end up at 35th.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Stand out on the OF concourse for a while, for example, during a crowded game. As insufferable as the packed Wrigley bleachers.
Did you say "crowded game" when referring to the 2013 White Sox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Once in a while they get lost I think and end up at 35th.
This is what happens when you pass out drunk on the Red Line......
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.