White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Sale is the moon. You only trade him for a future moon, a sun, and the majority of the stars. Still a risky move, stars might not shine.
Sale is also putting all our eggs in one basket. Reasonable men can disagree about how soon the Sox could contend again, but I haven't seen anyone arguing for 2014, and few arguing for 2015...if Sale blows out his elbow then he doesn't help the 2016 team at all.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
Why in the world would we trade Sale? This must be a joke I'm not being let in on.
The Sox system has no virtually no impact position players. The major league team probably won't be competitive for another 3-4 years, if they draft exceptionally well. If they can get 2-3 unbelievable prospects along with a couple of solid prospects, it makes sense. I wouldn't mind keeping Sale, as he's a top 3 pitcher. However, considering the situation the Sox are in, they can't afford to have any untouchables.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
It's not completely farfetched.
I don't know, I think it is pretty far out there on the farfetched scale.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

I agree with the last few comments. Keeping Sale is not without risk. (Trading also has risk, but it is spread out over several players.)

Another aspect of the rumor is the inclusion of Rios. There was a posting on mlbtraderumers.com earlier today that the Sox were disappointed with the offers for Rios so far. Now, these are all rumors, and we don't know what is really going on. However, bundling Sale with one of the experienced, older, and more expensive players like Rios may make it easier for another team to trade the "crown jewels" of its farm system and take on the added salary expense.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 AM
WSI Personality

If the Sox trade Sale they better get a boat load. I know the organization is lacking in position players but if they move Sale and Peavy this team will just be giving from one strength and picking up prospects who may never pan out to their hype. I have said it before pitching is the hardest to come by; and if they trade their top two pitchers and Rios the only real asset left is Reed. I hope they keep Sale and move some of their dead wait De Aza, Ramirez, Dunn, Axelrod amongst others. I will be anxious to see how Hahn handles things before and after the trade deadline; and hope for the best.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
Sale could potentially bring back a huge haul which is why I'm sure Hahn is considering all his options.
And I truly believe this is our best bet to turn this franchise around and contend again. I'm not pushing Sale out the door, because I absolutely love the kid, but you have to seriously consider any offer that improves multiple spots in a big way like some of this speculation (but I'm not nearly as big a Profar fan as the pundits are - way too boom or bust). I wouldn't trade him for anything less than immediate, sure major league contributors along with a top tier A+ prospect and some B types. Maybe that's wildly unrealistic, but it is absolutely what you demand in return for Sale. A lot of those trades come out very bad for the team who gives away the young, MLB proven talent like Sale, and rushing a rebuilding can compound the problem. However, this team and system is bad and needs something big to happen to change that any time soon.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 AM
WSI Prelate

I don't like this at all. If it happened, I think I might be sick. If it does, Profar better be the next A-Rod.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Profar's stock is falling
Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Another site I read, which positively gushed on Profar before the 2013 season began, said his ceiling is Alan Trammel or Barry Larkin. But lately he's looked more like Ozzie Guillen.

We traded Lamarr Hoyt for Ozzie. That trade worked out for the Sox because Hoyt's drug problem forced him out of the game. If Hahn and the Sox medical staff think Sale really is a ticking time bomb, then they would be foolish not to consider "selling high." But Sale is profiling like Randy Johnson right now. If Sale gets dealt and wins multiple Cy Young Awards, and all the Sox get in return for him is another Ozzie, the franchise would be set back for the next decade.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Another site I read, which positively gushed on Profar before the 2013 season began, said his ceiling is Alan Trammel or Barry Larkin. But lately he's looked more like Ozzie Guillen.

We traded Lamarr Hoyt for Ozzie. That trade worked out for the Sox because Hoyt's drug problem forced him out of the game. If Hahn and the Sox medical staff think Sale really is a ticking time bomb, then they would be foolish not to consider "selling high." But Sale is profiling like Randy Johnson right now. If Sale gets dealt and wins multiple Cy Young Awards, and all the Sox get in return for him is another Ozzie, the franchise would be set back for the next decade.
That's the big question, what's his future health? He could be an All-Star 12 times before he retires, he has the "stuff." He has already made it twice and will be up for sone Cy Young awards here soon. However, he could be done in a year or two. Who knows!

We could also be having this discussion again every year based on how we're playing and his future signability (way off in the distance there). Hopefully of that's the case, we can re-write parts of the deal and add years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
There has to be more interest in Sale than any other player right now.

#1 starter? Check.
Lefthanded? Check.
Young? Check.
Cost-controlled? Check.
Controlled by an organization with a terrible record of talent evaluation, who might just give him away for peanuts? Check.
I think you'll see some clubs back off because of injury potential. If pairing him with Rios got us a nice return for Rios as well, that increased value also factors in. It would be interesting to see the WAR of Sale vs the war if any proposed trade bait in 2015 and on. That's not the only metric to use since a guy like Sale will be key in 1-game playoffs and "must-win" issues, but increasing g our win total is #1 priority.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Sale is also putting all our eggs in one basket. Reasonable men can disagree about how soon the Sox could contend again, but I haven't seen anyone arguing for 2014, and few arguing for 2015...if Sale blows out his elbow then he doesn't help the 2016 team at all.

Meanwhile you have Sale under control until 2019. He could not blow his elbow out, win multiple Cy Young awards, and lead the White Sox to a championship within that time period. You could also trade him at any given time until then, so there's no need to trade right now.

You're talking about a top 3 pitcher in the entire sport, versus the top draft pick from 2010. So far Profar is hitting .276 with .826 OPS in the minors. That's not a good start to a hall of fame career.

Someone asked for A-rod for Sale. A-rod crushed the ball in the minors at that age.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I am listening to a deal that involves Jurickson Profar.

One thing the Sox have in the system is pitching.

One thing the Sox don't have any of is hitting.
Why??? He is a .278 hitter in the minors over 4 seasons. Limited power since he is still small---170lbs. Average defensively. Great speed but it hasn't translated into stolen bases. 50 games in the majors and he is hitting .229 w 4 HR's and no SB. Small sampling but he has struggled. Obviously he has potential based on ratings and he is still very young. But Sale is already an All Star. So a kid w potential is a long way from a kid who is an All Star. Maybe Profar for Rios but he would need to be one of many top prospects for Sale and Rios.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Are the prospects we would get for Sale injury-proof? Do they come with extended warranties if they break? Anyone can get injured. Realistically, the Sox would never get fair value for Sale.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Yep. The 2 big Ranger prospects - he and olt- are starting to look like duds. (Not duds yet but falling). No surprise really. Prospects fail and the rangers have been an overhyped organization for several years.

I'm open to a trade- but for a ton of talent. And certainly not as an inducement to take one of our overpaid players off of our hands
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Realistically, the Sox would never get fair value for Sale.
Especially given how bad the organization is at developing position players.